Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion tC Custom fiberglass Sub box

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion tC Custom fiberglass Sub box

i recently got a bit crafty and wanted to make something i could use. i started by taping off the entire passenger side of the trunk with blue painters tape. its important to use the good tape because when the fiberglass resin starts to harden, it gets very hot and will melt the adhesive of cheaper tape to the plastic. i learned that the hard way. i then put about 5 layers of fiberglass / resign over the parts i wanted to use and let it set overnight. i pulled it out and started cutting mdf board to make the shape i wanted and attached a speaker ring where i wanted the sub to go. i wanted to incorporate the amp into the box to display it so i built a little nest for that as well. i put a thick layer of resin over all of the wood for strength and to seal any possible leaks. i then took fleece and stretched it over all of the open places and used a staple gun to keep it secure. i smothered the entire thing with alot more resin and when that was hard, i sanded it for days and bondo'd it until it was how i wanted. i carpeted it and here it is. im happy with the way it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails Scion tC Custom fiberglass Sub box-img_6704.jpg   Scion tC Custom fiberglass Sub box-img_6701.jpg   Scion tC Custom fiberglass Sub box-img_6706.jpg   Scion tC Custom fiberglass Sub box-img_6702.jpg  

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-22-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidWithLizards
i recently got a bit crafty and wanted to make something i could use. i started by taping off the entire passenger side of the trunk with blue painters tape. its important to use the good tape because when the fiberglass resin starts to harden, it gets very hot and will melt the adhesive of cheaper tape to the plastic. i learned that the hard way. i then put about 5 layers of fiberglass / resign over the parts i wanted to use and let it set overnight. i pulled it out and started cutting mdf board to make the shape i wanted and attached a speaker ring where i wanted the sub to go. i wanted to incorporate the amp into the box to display it so i built a little nest for that as well. i put a thick layer of resin over all of the wood for strength and to seal any possible leaks. i then took fleece and stretched it over all of the open places and used a staple gun to keep it secure. i smothered the entire thing with alot more resin and when that was hard, i sanded it for days and bondo'd it until it was how i wanted. i carpeted it and here it is. im happy with the way it turned out.
Looks great!!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mount dat ish!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member

i just put my order in for a sundown audio x-12 and a rockford fosgate prime 1200w amp. my car will be BOOMING lol.