Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sub clipping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:34 AM

Default Sub clipping?

I recently picked up a 2011 TC and went to install my sub and amp. I am running a Alpine type r 12 with the alpine m500 amp. I had this setup in my previous car a few months back. Since it's been in the TC however, when I crank it up around mid 40 (stock pioneer headunit) it will clip. The blue light on the amp never shuts off either. At normal volumes it sounds great and hits hard.

I tried putting my friends sub in to ensure something wasn't wrong with my sub and his clipped too. The ground appears to be good on the amp.. Could the RCA's on the stock headunit not supply the right voltage to the amp at higher volumes? Should i try using a LOC??

If my ground was bad, wouldn't the amp shut off, or possibly change colors from blue to orange for protection mode?

Any ideas would be wonderful! Thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you mean when you say clip? The term clipping is used when your gains are set too high and the top and bottom of the sine wave gets "clipped" off causing square peaks and valleys instead of nice round ones. This sounds like distortion. Its difficult to hear, but most audiophiles can notice it. Otherwise you would need an oscilloscope to see a digital readout of the sound wave. If this is what you're talking about, then your gains are too high. Take it to you local audio shop and have them tune it with their O-Scope.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if its what im thinking of you probably need a remote wire i had the same problem with my stock alpine because it had no remote out wire i had to run the "signal-sensing turn-on system" and my subs would make an almost uneven noise when up too loud and would cut out randomly so when i go the time i put my old kenwood kdc-x994 in and all problems were fixed... or it could just be another stock radio problem