Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

2012 Scion TC RS7.0 Fog Lights/Dash Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:40 AM

Default 2012 Scion TC RS7.0 Fog Lights/Dash Lights Not Working

First off, let me start by saying that I think I messed up, lol. I was attempting to figure out how to get my fog lights to come on when I turned on the park lights, and within messing with the fog light switch, I seem to have blown something. I've checked all the fuses, and they all pass the tone test using a volt meter, and I checked the ones I thought I may have blown visually. All the gauges seem to work, but just not the fog lights, nor the dash lights that come on when you turn on the park/headlights. Everything else seems to work, including all exterior lights (except the fogs).

Anybody have any idea's? Car is still under warranty, but do not want Scion/Toyota seeing where I was working with the wires. So I either need to replace the switch and/or the short wire that plugs into the fog light switch, or fix it myself. (Car is still under warranty)

Again, any idea's??? Its worrying the crap out of me...
Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure what you've done but I wired my fogs to my parking lights and everything works as advertised. I did blow some fuses when I first started it and had the same problem. But changing the fuses helped. I don't remember which one it was though sorry man. I'm taking it you checked them all? Under the dash and in the engine compartment?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 12stormtroopertc
I'm not sure what you've done but I wired my fogs to my parking lights and everything works as advertised. I did blow some fuses when I first started it and had the same problem. But changing the fuses helped. I don't remember which one it was though sorry man. I'm taking it you checked them all? Under the dash and in the engine compartment?
My car is the RS7.0. It came with factory fogs. I was just trying to make them work with park lights. I seemed to have blown something dealing with both the fog lights, and the dash lights. Neither work. All fuses check out fine using the tone function of a volt meter. The under the dash ones, and the under the hood ones.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the fuses are okay then did you check the wiring that you might have modified?
Perhaps one of those that you spliced/cut/strip/etc might be damaged.

Might be difficult but it's better than you taking it to the dealer and having them tell you that it's your fault and charging you for labor...

To me it sounds like a wiring thing. I haven't had the time to check the tC manual yet to see if the fog lights have their own fuse but did a quick check on other Toyota cars and fogs have their own 15A fuse and it was located under the drivers panel.
Toyota generally keeps fuses for the instrument cluster grouped together with other accessories so if it was blown then other things wouldn't be working... Which leads me to believe that it's wiring and not fuses.

So check your work that you done (or tried to do)
Old 04-10-2012, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by dm1336
If the fuses are okay then did you check the wiring that you might have modified?
Perhaps one of those that you spliced/cut/strip/etc might be damaged.

Might be difficult but it's better than you taking it to the dealer and having them tell you that it's your fault and charging you for labor...

To me it sounds like a wiring thing. I haven't had the time to check the tC manual yet to see if the fog lights have their own fuse but did a quick check on other Toyota cars and fogs have their own 15A fuse and it was located under the drivers panel.
Toyota generally keeps fuses for the instrument cluster grouped together with other accessories so if it was blown then other things wouldn't be working... Which leads me to believe that it's wiring and not fuses.

So check your work that you done (or tried to do)
I undid everything I did, and even unplugged the fog light switch removing all wiring that i touched from the system. It still doesn't work. I must have blown something, and like i said, everything works except the fogs and the dash lighting that comes on when the lights are on. Day time dash lights work fine.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The "dash lighting" you are referring to... That's the fog light button/switch located to the right of where you adjust your side mirrors? That does not light up correct?

Sorry I thought you meant the whole instrument cluster of stock orange glow around pretty much everything on the dash

There is a relay for the fog lights behind the radio... Not sure what use it might be but you can see it from the install guide here, Page 11:
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT413-21110inst.pdf
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by dm1336
The "dash lighting" you are referring to... That's the fog light button/switch located to the right of where you adjust your side mirrors? That does not light up correct?

Sorry I thought you meant the whole instrument cluster of stock orange glow around pretty much everything on the dash

There is a relay for the fog lights behind the radio... Not sure what use it might be but you can see it from the install guide here, Page 11:
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT413-21110inst.pdf
Sorry, but it is the entire dash, not just the button. The button not lighting up is when I noticed I first had an issue. The entire dash lights work when the headlights are off, but when I turn them on, and the dash is supposed to dim, and light up the radio and air controls, this is no longer happening. I only have the bright daytime dash lights at night time.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Does anybody have the fog light part numbers for the 2012 tC? I probably need to at least replace the switch and the short wire directly behind the switch. I full list of part numbers would be awesome.

If I replace those, I may just have to take it back to the dealership. Wanna hide my work...

Last edited by LennySh; 04-10-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added last line...
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Ok, after riding to work this morning, something else hit me... Instead of it being a problem with the fog lights/dash lights that are turned on by the headlight switch, it seems the car has no idea i turned on the lights in the first place. I mean, the park/headlights work outside the car, and the green light comes on inside the dash, but nothing else that is supposed to be triggered by the switch comes on. For instance, one wire on the fog light switch is supposed to receive power when i turn the headlights on, but it doesn't now. So something happened before it even gets to the fog light switch. Is there a relay or anything on the steering wheel mounted park/head light switch that controls the part that would send power to the fog lights, and the night time dash lights? My gear selector lights don't even come on.

Needing help bad...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You may have shorted a circuit when tapping into the park lights. Check to see if your switch is functional. (put minimal current through it, and see if it breaks when you cut the switch).
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by thealexhernandez
You may have shorted a circuit when tapping into the park lights. Check to see if your switch is functional. (put minimal current through it, and see if it breaks when you cut the switch).
I have already removed the fog light switch and the short wire behind it from the system. Still no worky...

I've already undone everything I did. Its wired back to stock now, minus the wire/plug being removed from system.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 AM

Still nothing? Somebody has to have some idea on it...
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why don't you bring it to a dealership and have them look at it for you? It's still under warranty
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
Why don't you bring it to a dealership and have them look at it for you? It's still under warranty
I'm going to, but I'd need to purchase the short wire that hooks the fog light switch to the car's wiring. That wire was cut during my testing, and I want to replace it before taking it in.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

Unfortunately if they notice you've messed with the wiring then it is not covered under waranty and expect to pay a few bucks for them to fix it.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by punch10001
Unfortunately if they notice you've messed with the wiring then it is not covered under waranty and expect to pay a few bucks for them to fix it.
All I messed with is the short wire that plugs into the fog light switch... anywhere I can buy that? Or at least get a part number so I can buy what I need?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe a stupid thought. Did you adjust the light dimmer to full on the dash.

Only because it happened to me last night. On when lights off. When I turned on headlights, dash went black. Just twisted the dimmer **** and all was good. Tripped me out.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by duce95
Maybe a stupid thought. Did you adjust the light dimmer to full on the dash.

Only because it happened to me last night. On when lights off. When I turned on headlights, dash went black. Just twisted the dimmer **** and all was good. Tripped me out.
The car has no idea I even turned the lights on. The dash lights do not change at all from what the normal daytime mode is. The car doesn't ding to warn me I've left the lights on when I turn the car off and get out, or anything. It has zero idea I have the lights on...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok I got it now. Dang that sucks. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: 2012 Scion TC RS7.0 Fog Lights/Dash Lights Not Working