Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Brand New 2016 tC. Break-in suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member

Default Brand New 2016 tC. Break-in suggestions???

Hey all, so I just picked up a brand new 2016 tC and I know engines need a break-in period...... But what should I do and for how long???

I've gone through all 400+ pages of the manual and it doesn't say anything about, "For X,XXX miles, drive like this. After X,XXX miles drive like this then you're all set!" I've asked 100 different people both IRL and online and I've gotten 100 different answers. Everything ranging from, "Drive it like you stole it! That's the best way to break in an engine and get the burrs out of the engine!" all the way down to, "Drive it like an old lady for ~200 miles THEN drive it like you stole it!" It's absolutely maddening!!! Even the dealershipS (plural. I've called 7) all either said check the manual or I have no idea.

So, people who know more than me. What is the DEFINITIVE and absolute recommended way to break-in a new tC???
Old 01-09-2017, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't be dumb. It shows the break in procedure for the 1000 first miles in the owner manual. I don't have mine out right now, but it does show it. The engine is mostly broke in within first 30 minutes of running, from there its just seating rings and cylinders (not a real mechanic) but this is what ive read. Don't go thrashing on it, because engine isnt the only item breaking in, you have all moving parts that are also breaking in together.

Found on google.

in my 2014 manual, pg 153, breaking in tips:

"to extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended
-for the first 200 miles avoid sudden stops
- for the first 1,000 miles do not drive at extremely high speeds, avoid sudden acceleration, do not drive continuously in low gears, and do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods""

Basically, if you are doing highway driving, keep alternating gears periodically. Don't set cruise and idle in 6th for 1000 miles, I did a long drive and ent from 6-5-4-5-6 often during the journey. I have a 13 tc with 100k miles. Drives like new
Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Don't be dumb. It shows the break in procedure for the 1000 first miles in the owner manual. I don't have mine out right now, but it does show it. The engine is mostly broke in within first 30 minutes of running, from there its just seating rings and cylinders (not a real mechanic) but this is what ive read. Don't go thrashing on it, because engine isnt the only item breaking in, you have all moving parts that are also breaking in together.

Found on google.

in my 2014 manual, pg 153, breaking in tips:

"to extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended
-for the first 200 miles avoid sudden stops
- for the first 1,000 miles do not drive at extremely high speeds, avoid sudden acceleration, do not drive continuously in low gears, and do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods""

Basically, if you are doing highway driving, keep alternating gears periodically. Don't set cruise and idle in 6th for 1000 miles, I did a long drive and ent from 6-5-4-5-6 often during the journey. I have a 13 tc with 100k miles. Drives like new
Thanks for the info. I swear I didn't see anything but I'll take a look again. There is something else that isn't in there. I heard there's an oil change recommended at (this is the part I can't remember) I want to say 2,000 miles to get all the new-engine crud out. Verification? Correction?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

tC2.5=2014-2016 Same Identical 2AR-FE 2.5L Engine in Model Years 2014-2016.

The Recommended Factory Service Intervals are Not found in the 495 page Owners Manual but, in the separate Warranty and Maintenance Guide.

The Recommended Oil & Filter change is every 6 months or 5,000k mi. whichever comes first. It's Free under the Scion Boost Care.
Normal factory-recommended maintenance services up to 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

However, as a long, long time New Car Buyer. As an Engineer, I go the Extra Mile and Always get my 1st Oil & Filter Change at the first 1,000 miles.
Because a new engine is nice & tight, there is a lot of metal particles and shavings that end up in the engine during the Break-In Period.

Then Change Oil & Filter Every 5,000 miles.
That has kept all my cars running indefinitely.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-10-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with what he said except oil, 10k oil and filter is all thats needed. Anymore is simply overkill, synthetic fluid is here to last unless you live in extreme heat or cool climate conditions