Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Do you think Scion tC2 are Slow stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default Do you think Scion tC2 are Slow stock?

i just want people's opinions on stock tC's HP.

Thanks.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-10-2020 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes they are that's why I went turbo
Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member

ya I figured my tc seems slow I love it tho that's awesome you turboed yours im gonna turbo mine in august im getting the dezod kit I really cant wait what kit did you get and how does a turboed tc feel like
Old 05-28-2015, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the dezod turbo kit it feels great really fast but I've been having some issues with FIC so im going to buy the full ecm.

Just remember if you do go turbo it will be alot of maintenance and sometimes a headache especially with a piggy back computer

you should also get LSD or u might break axles and u most likely wont have any traction in 1st and 2nd gear
Old 05-29-2015, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah car is slow turbod is still slow lol
Old 05-30-2015, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Making a mistake buying a tc with any hope to make it fast. Slow and reliable, or "quick" and unreliable. Buy an already fast car for a few extra $ and be done with it.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car can still be reliable if u do it right the first time.the problem with that is u will spend a lot of money but it can be reliable
Old 05-30-2015, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will never be "as reliable" no matter how you put it. I've even seen dezod and the other turbo people post, it is costly to maintain, and its not about how long, but when things go wrong.
Fact is you are turboeing a naturally aspirated engine, wasn't designed to function that way. Yeah it works, but if it was designed with a turbo, it would of been more reliable.
in the end its $$$. I like people with turbos, a few of my friends have them. That being said, I will never turbo one. They go through so much hassles. I can't imagine my DD being worth the hassle. I change the air filter, spark plugs, oil and brakes. Thats all I ever want to have to do lol
Old 05-31-2015, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No your right it will never be as reliable but of u build your engine it will be fine for a while. See i turboed on stock internals but I'm going to buy another engine and have it built by next summer.

You are definitely right on maintenance u will have to change your sparkplugs and oil very often im doing it every 4000 miles

Turbo is a headache but its nice having something unique not to may turbo tc's out there especially 2014+
Old 05-31-2015, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's nice that you are turbo and if it makes you happy that's all that matters. In a car I drive like a grandpa (24) not a thrill by any means but she gets me around no issues.

Now, I have a gsxr 750 looking for a second bike gsxr 1000, those take care of my adrenaline needs.

Oil every 4k, how do the plugs look at that point as well? Fouled or lean or just burnt up
Old 06-01-2015, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo is always a good way to make hp quick. But is the tC slow? Not really. Is it fast, not at all.

Stock for Stock its faster than the FRS.

I enjoy my tC. The 2014/15's are really starting to sell (seeing a lot more on the road from when I bought mine almost a year ago). Speed isn't everything. For me, I wanted a car that looked right, had a proper suspension, was practical for daily use, and a proper 6spd manual. The options for that are pretty much Golf GTI, tC, Genesis, FRS, 370z. Oh and by purchasing a Toyota, I got a pretty fat $2500 discount since I am a Toyota employee. That helped.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the tC2 slow? Not really. The car has good midrange power, what you need in a DD. Take the car on a twisting mountain road, (a little above the speed limit ) this car will put a smile on your face.
"Track car" it's not. If that's what you want, get yourself a STi. You want fast, get a Hellcat.
I bought this car because it's nice looking, gets decent gas mileage, and it's TOYOTA dependable. I'm happy!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the opinion's its not that I think tc's are slow its faster than all of my previous cars when I got it I started doing research on them and I knew they could be turbocharged if wanted to then I started looking at videos on YouTube and there's a lot of videos of turboed tc's that are really fast do I think its fine just the way it is absolutely but I just want the extra hp that a turbo car gives you thats all. THANKS
Old 06-01-2015, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 100% agreed with Xversa, it is true that is not a track car, neither the fastest, but personally I have the opportunity to "test" my tC on my daily driving with some Hondas, Hyundais, Mazdas, etc and my car has put several smiles on my face.

Of course you can't compete with an STI or a Hellcat, but for daily driving, decent performance, decent gas consumption and TOYOTA reliability, you can't beat the stock tC...(but of curse have a Turbo on your tC always is a good thing).
Old 06-01-2015, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member

I totally agree with you Pedro13 I put my tc against some more performances cars also and was satisfied their awesome cars stock I like driving and just cruising but I just want that extra go I couldn't afford an awd sti or evo thats the main purpose I want a turbocharged engine so I can modify it so it can hang a lot better with those other cars from what I know tc's have a ton of potential when I comes to putting a turbo or supercharger format on your car.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Slow, but after all it is a two door camry. Its a DD for sure and nothing more.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by azztinthebox
Maybe for you.

Working up plans to make a track toy out of mine. Some fab work will be need to be done, but I've got a great friend in the performance shop business. (not just some dink with a garage and a lift, but a shop turning out some very fast cars)

Basically the car has the potential. The suspension design is right, the weights a bit much but if I can find someone good with carbon fiber I plan to have the roof panels replaced with CF, roll cage can be done pretty easy at either the shop or my friends house (properly too, not like an autopower roll cage that has 2-3 inch gaps from the roof), better coilovers, lighter wheels, stickier tires, front splitter, functional rear wing, FIA seat, and just to keep things OG a rear mount turbo opposed to a engine mounted set up. Why? Because 1: who else is doing that? 2: cool turbine temperatures, 3: low boost shouldn't need anything bigger than a old DSM side mount intercooler or at best none. Only down side is a oil feed set up that's less than desirable due to length of line needed. But at that point the car will not be a DD anymore. A streetable backroad car, that can excel in auto-x or proper road course racing (via time attack or grid)
Old 06-02-2015, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by azztinthebox

Yea, I never understand when ppl said "is a Camry with two doors", because is and is not. True have same engine, but weight, suspension, center mass and body aerodynamics are different and all this factors make a big difference.

Have you have drive a Camry? nothing wrong with the car, but is made for a different market, that is why is heavy and slow. Scion tC is not...Again, tC is a "sportier" daily drive car....
Old 06-02-2015, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pedro13
Yea, I never understand when ppl said "is a Camry with two doors", because is and is not. True have same engine, but weight, suspension, center mass and body aerodynamics are different and all this factors make a big difference.

Have you have drive a Camry? nothing wrong with the car, but is made for a different market, that is why is heavy and slow. Scion tC is not...Again, tC is a "sportier" daily drive car....
Ok ok sorry for stepping on toes, but it is what it is to me and that's a two door Camry not a thing wrong with that to me. The TC is still slow its a sad 180 hp(I wished for more from the factory). I like my TC I find it fun to whip around town in, but not something I am going to put money into autox or track when there are already better platforms out there. I don't have a single issue or find it weird that people do this, I applaud anyone that takes the time to turn something into something else, I love the car culture. Now back to the Camry ref to me its not that far off from a Camry. Wheelbase is 3 in. shorter and its 130 lbs. lighter(wished there was an option for no glass roof). Yes I have driven a Camry; family car not something to whip around town in. I guess for me the want for say I dunno 40 or so more horsepower out of the TC factory would have really set this car on another level for me, so in a way kinda puts me back to wanna say "meh, its a two door Camry".
Old 06-04-2015, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member

fast enough for me im not trying out for the fast and furious.

Quick Reply: Do you think Scion tC2 are Slow stock?