Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Gotta love Plasti Dip!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM

Default Gotta love Plasti Dip!

Finally got off my lazy @$$ and Plasti Dipped my front and back bumper. I think it came out pretty good

Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks great, except the 2 black sqaures on front. looks like it has dimples on its cheeks, like a clown.
but if that were silver, i'd think its perfect.

btw, any write up on how you blacked out your tail lights?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uhm, wtf is with the black squares on the front bumper?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by deez
Uhm, wtf is with the black squares on the front bumper?
x2 lol
the front bumper and rear bumper turned out pretty good though
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 AM

im interested in how you did the rears. it looks good.

quick run down on it?

how many cans did you need?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take off the black squares and fix your exhaust
Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member

i got the black squares on mine too. but i have carbon fiber on mine. i like it im looking to my rear bumber the same way
Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jsiv
im interested in how you did the rears. it looks good.

quick run down on it?

how many cans did you need?
I bought 2 cans which still have about 3/4 of a can left after doing all this. Everything was taped off with simple blue painter's tape. For the edges, you have to remove the tape pretty fast, while still wet, or it dries on the tape.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by rsingh216
Take off the black squares and fix your exhaust
I like the black squares for some reason, but looking into getting an actual exhaust when tax returns get here. Also looking into a TS Carbon Fiber hood once tax returns are here.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude that came out pretty nice. Did you cut the tape to get around it or did you just use pieces of tape on the rear? I tried doing this myself but couldnt get the lines right and ended up removing it. Gotta love plastidip! lol. And whats the deal with that exhaust? I don't hate it at all, I was just wondering how you did that because I would concider getting a cheap muffler and doing this myself as long as it doesnt sound ____ty and all of the aftermarket mufflers ive seen for our cars are stupid expensive.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mkeple
Dude that came out pretty nice. Did you cut the tape to get around it or did you just use pieces of tape on the rear? I tried doing this myself but couldnt get the lines right and ended up removing it. Gotta love plastidip! lol. And whats the deal with that exhaust? I don't hate it at all, I was just wondering how you did that because I would concider getting a cheap muffler and doing this myself as long as it doesnt sound ____ty and all of the aftermarket mufflers ive seen for our cars are stupid expensive.
I used pieces of tape until I got the right curve. It wasn't too difficult.. but could not find tape that curves. (Probably because I spent a whole 2 minutes looking for it lol)

As for the exhaust... It was a cheap muffler I bought off eBay, then had a muffler shop put a full 2.5" exhaust from the cat to the muffler. No resonator at the time. Was wayyy too loud, especially after the header install, so I added a 24" resonator back on. No rasp now.

With my tax return, I plan to get a new exhaust and CF TS-Style Hood for the car, so then I won't have to look at the horrible angling anymore lol

As for the exhaust prices, there are places you can get decent-good exhausts for affordable prices. I think there is a Tsudo cat back exhaust going on eBay for $400 shipped.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 PM

God I love my job. Won $1k at the holiday party last night so looks like I'm gonna get that cf hood sooner. Getting the ts hood. Anyone know if I need to add a layer of clear coat on the hood after installing? Live in az and hear the summer heat will turn it yelow and/or crack it
Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spuglise
God I love my job. Won $1k at the holiday party last night so looks like I'm gonna get that cf hood sooner. Getting the ts hood. Anyone know if I need to add a layer of clear coat on the hood after installing? Live in az and hear the summer heat will turn it yelow and/or crack it
Are you getting a SEIBON CF hood? If so, don't put a layer of clear coat on it because it has clear coat already. Plus, it won't turn yellow and or crack.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Team318
Are you getting a SEIBON CF hood? If so, don't put a layer of clear coat on it because it has clear coat already. Plus, it won't turn yellow and or crack.
Yeah its a SEIBON hood. Ok, that's good to know
Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a carbon hood and hatch on my tc1, and a carbon hood on my tc2, but if I lived in AZ I probably wouldn't even bother with carbon. The sun will destroy it. My tc1 is garage kept and barely driven maybe 25 miles a week if that. If it was a daily or in sunlight I wouldn't even bother going with a real expensive hood like I did.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 PM

I live in AZ and have a lot of buddies with carbon fiber on their cars and I have never heard of any of it cracking or anything due to sunlight.. but maybe it will over longer time periods? Interesting.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM

Finally fixed the exhaust. Tsudo catback exhaust.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally fixed the exhaust. Tsudo catback exhaust.
How does it sound around 1,000-1,500rpms as you're slowing down and are about to shift into neutral for the stop?
Also do you feel that you lost any torque from 3,000rpms or lower? or does it still feel the same?(as stock for example).
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Newman
How does it sound around 1,000-1,500rpms as you're slowing down and are about to shift into neutral for the stop?
Also do you feel that you lost any torque from 3,000rpms or lower? or does it still feel the same?(as stock for example).
Haven't driven it too much to tell yet. Just removed the silencer and about to go drive it around so I'll let you know. The silencer makes it very quiet. Little raspy in the 1-2,000 rpm range.. but not too bad.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, let me know if it sounds raspy/how it sounds without that silencer on. the stock exhaust has a very low deep booming sound that i like, and was wondering if the Tsudo improves that or does something totally different. Thanks.
(assuming yours is manual, you'll want to be in 3rd or 2nd gear, and slowing down to make that sound just before you shift to neutral to stop).
I hope it's not what you guys call "exhaust drone", because if that's the sound I like then I am going to be sad lmao.

Quick Reply: Gotta love Plasti Dip!