Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

High Intensity Yellow/Amber FOG bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default High Intensity Yellow/Amber FOG bulbs?

Currently running a pair of regular yellow incandescent bulbs in my stock FOG light housings.

I'm looking for a brighter bulb in either amber/yellow using LEDS and I don't want to have to retrofit for HIDs etc. Anyone have any suggestions for brighter LED H11 options?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No "retrofitting" is required for the using HIDs in fogs. Just get a H11 HID kit. H11 LED bulbs are expensive and cost the same (and often more) than HIDs.

Recommend just going with HIDs. But if you MUST go LED, the VLEDs V3 Triton bulb is a beast.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
No "retrofitting" is required for the using HIDs in fogs. Just get a H11 HID kit. H11 LED bulbs are expensive and cost the same (and often more) than HIDs.

Recommend just going with HIDs. But if you MUST go LED, the VLEDs V3 Triton bulb is a beast.
Steve, doesn't the HID Fogs require more power and ballasts that need to be run to battery etc?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pro710
Steve, doesn't the HID Fogs require more power and ballasts that need to be run to battery etc?
That's a good question. Some folks like to run a relay that grabs power directly from the car battery. I began doing that for my headlights after I did my Lexus RX350 projector retrofit.

Prior to my retrofit though, I ran a 55w DDM HID kit in my stock headlights and a 35w DDM HID kit in my stock fog lights all WITHOUT a relay. This setup ran perfectly fine for me for over 3 years until I did my retrofit. The only reason I began using the relay is because Morimoto kits come with them included so I figured, why not.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a good question. Some folks like to run a relay that grabs power directly from the car battery. I began doing that for my headlights after I did my Lexus RX350 projector retrofit.

Prior to my retrofit though, I ran a 55w DDM HID kit in my stock headlights and a 35w DDM HID kit in my stock fog lights all WITHOUT a relay. This setup ran perfectly fine for me for over 3 years until I did my retrofit. The only reason I began using the relay is because Morimoto kits come with them included so I figured, why not.
Cool. If I could getaway with just plugging into the stock wiring harness that be AWESOME.

Steve, can you provide a link to one of these HID plug-n-play options or PM me Please?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, you will absolutely be able to get away with simply plugging the ballast into your factory wiring for the fogs.

Pretty much all aftermarket HID kits are plug and plan as long as you get an H11 kit. I personally used DDM Tuning back in the day but a lot of folks complain about their customer service these days.

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

That's today's equivalent of what I used a few years ago. Just make sure you chose 35w, H11 bulbs, and 3000k bulb color for yellow.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, you will absolutely be able to get away with simply plugging the ballast into your factory wiring for the fogs.

Pretty much all aftermarket HID kits are plug and plan as long as you get an H11 kit. I personally used DDM Tuning back in the day but a lot of folks complain about their customer service these days.

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

That's today's equivalent of what I used a few years ago. Just make sure you chose 35w, H11 bulbs, and 3000k bulb color for yellow.
Biglil, You da Man! Thanks for the link. I think Scionlife or others have coupon code for DDM Tuning right? You happen to know any codes I can use? Thanks in advance bud!
Old 03-20-2016, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pro710
Biglil, You da Man! Thanks for the link. I think Scionlife or others have coupon code for DDM Tuning right? You happen to know any codes I can use? Thanks in advance bud!
I can't help you there buddy. I haven't been in the market for new HIDs for quite some time so I don't know the word on the street about coupon codes lol. It would be nice if there were a coupon code since shipping is so expensive.