Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Horn Honk when Lock/Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Horn Honk when Lock/Unlock

So if your Toyota or Scion has a blue flashing light while your car is armed and locked, you most likely have the optional KARR security system added by the dealer.

you have the option of changing the setting,
when you lock and unlock, the car with do the normal beeps and may trigger the horn.
you can change it by

turning the key to on then off, I don't think pulling the key out matters
right after there is a button where the blue light flashes that you press 3 times, I believe the car with beep, and that's it. You've changed it.

Last edited by kslim619; 10-19-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Solved!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the horn beeps it's not an OEM setup. The Toyota OEM setup has a digital beep when it's locked and unlocked (1 beep when locking, and 2 for unlocking) and a red alarm light that flashes on the piece above the radio next to the clock when the car is off. If it's OEM then the dealer may be able to disable this but IDK why you'd want to. If you have a blue light though that's not OEM or it has been modified (or the previous owner just added one of those fake alarm security lights to it). Might still check with the dealer on this if they're versed in aftermarket alarms else take it to a custom install shop and see if they can figure out what's been installed aftermarket and how you can make any setting changes to it. Usually aftermarket alarms have a secondary key fob though, so curious what's been done if the actual horn is beeping.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
If the horn beeps it's not an OEM setup. The Toyota OEM setup has a digital beep when it's locked and unlocked (1 beep when locking, and 2 for unlocking) and a red alarm light that flashes on the piece above the radio next to the clock when the car is off. If it's OEM then the dealer may be able to disable this but IDK why you'd want to. If you have a blue light though that's not OEM or it has been modified (or the previous owner just added one of those fake alarm security lights to it). Might still check with the dealer on this if they're versed in aftermarket alarms else take it to a custom install shop and see if they can figure out what's been installed aftermarket and how you can make any setting changes to it. Usually aftermarket alarms have a secondary key fob though, so curious what's been done if the actual horn is beeping.
just no to whatever you said haha.
I got this car with 7 miles brand new lol.
I got a blue light flashing near driver footwell, and where the blue light flashes, it has the "valet button".
there's no red light.
and you can change it to have the beeps AND the horn or only the beeps which you change using the valet button that I discovered.
I thought I explained it but guess not.
thanks for replying though
Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

I have a 2015 tC2.5 RS9 purchased Brand New with 8 mi.

One of my Dealer Options I Added was Scion Security which has 2-Red Blinking Lights when Activated. Only thing on my key fob is Lock, Unlock, and Panic.

No Valet button. No Valet Key. No Blue blinking light anywhere. I do have a Dealer Option Blue Interior Lighting Kit which switches Blue lights in the foot wells when I open and close the doors.

Our cars are still Under Warranty. As drizzoh suggested, your Best Bet is to See your Toyota Dealer or a Aftermarket Alarm/Stereo Shop.

MR_LUV

Old 10-19-2017, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MR_LUV

I have a 2015 tC2.5 RS9 purchased Brand New with 8 mi.

One of my Dealer Options I Added was Scion Security which has 2-Red Blinking Lights when Activated. Only thing on my key fob is Lock, Unlock, and Panic.

No Valet button. No Valet Key. No Blue blinking light anywhere. I do have a Dealer Option Blue Interior Lighting Kit which switches Blue lights in the foot wells when I open and close the doors.

Our cars are still Under Warranty. As drizzoh suggested, your Best Bet is to See your Toyota Dealer or a Aftermarket Alarm/Stereo Shop.

MR_LUV

either way, I already fixed my problem lol, I have 0 reasons to go to the dealer, I try to fix everything myself. Dealer is a waste of time. I do all my car work myself, mechanical and not lol.
my problem was,
when I lock and unlock with my keyfob, both the beeps AND horn would go off.
on MY tC, I have a blue security light that flashes while the car is locked. And where the blue light flashes, it has the "valet button" that you need to change the setting. If you Google "keyfob horn honk lock unlock" you'll see hundreds of messages that say
turn key on then off then press the "valet button" 3 times.
which I have, and I did, and now my Horn doesn't go off when I lock and unlock my car.
I'll take pictures just to explain it better but I've already fixed my own problem. It's the very first message on the beginning topic.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

It's good to know you fixed your own problem. lol...

I know many people with tC2+ but, No one with a OEM Valet button
or Blue Security light.

It would be Interesting to see a picture of Your Valet button/Blue Security Light.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

or Blue Security light.

It would be Interesting to see a picture of Your Valet button/Blue Security Light.

Thanks.

for sure, yeah the reason I made the post, was because I never heard of the "valet button" until I read a post explaining exactly where.
I'll get some pics to show what's going on.
I do appreciate the replies though, thank you.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

or Blue Security light.

Thanks.

This. Lol.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://ibb.co/m6QXQm

https://ibb.co/djtDWR

Hopefully this works, doesn't seem easy on my phone to post pictures here.

The first one shows the blue flashing light when locked and armed.
The second one shows the "valet button" on the device
Old 10-19-2017, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah.. that's not OEM at all.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
Yeah.. that's not OEM at all.
hah.. alright, thanks for your time.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...hirp-tc-16833/

Thank you tC_Normo

Last edited by kslim619; 10-19-2017 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Links
Old 10-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

(Click on above to See in Full)

You have a Aftermarket KARR Alarm system that was Added by the Dealer.
Dealers are Franchise Independent Businesses. Some offer the Scion Security Alarm. Some offer the KAAR Alarm or similar systems depending on their Profit motive.
Currently, there is a Toyota Dealer in the next town that is offering to Add a KAAR system to any car as an Option. (one of the Best Aftermarket Alarm systems is the Viper Alarm. They will Add a Blue Flashing Security light on top of your Dash)

Turns out, We are Both Right. The stock, base, OEM tC does not come with any Alarm system. Your tC has a KAAR Alarm w/Valet switch & Blue Security light Added by the Dealer. If you did not Order it, the Dealer Added it to your Invoice as a Profit Generator.
Trust me, there are No Free Alarms systems. You Paid for it whether you realize it or not.

The confusion came when it your Original post (now Edited) you stated your tC was stock or base.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-20-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok that makes sense. I did a lot of googling about my issue and I saw some KARR things but didn't think of it, and I was never told about it when I got the car.
I said it was basic with like no additional, like spoiler, or TRD, but you're right, my alarm system isn't basic.
thanks for clearing it up

sorry for the unclarity
Old 10-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Hey, No Problem. Thank you for explaining your problem and coming back with pictures. A lot of people don't come back and explain how they solved their problem.
You are helping other people in the future that will have the same problem scratching their head and Searching all over the Internet.

I think the KARR Alarm system may even be better than my Scion Security system.
Some Dealers are offering the KARR system instead because they think it is a better system and there is a bigger markup/profit than the Scion Security most Scion/Toyota Dealers offer.

Karr Alarm Systems | Secure Your Car with Karr

One Caveat, Do Not get a KARR Alarm system if you have a GM product with OnStar:

Ripoff Report | KARR Auto Security Systems Complaint Review Internet

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-19-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I actually wanted to try and help others on the same boat as I was haha

so I have the KARR alarm system, without knowing
and I've never heard of a "valet button" until now haha

and thanks for working with me on this to get to the bottom of it. There's a reason for everything!

Happy to post here, and later I think I'll post a little build thread just sharing what I've done. My car is definitely not stock anymore haha