Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

How were 2015 RS9.0 painted

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:09 PM

Default How were 2015 RS9.0 painted

When I think of OEM painting, I see robots at the factory.

How were 9.0's painted? Did they paint the Orange first? Then mask it for the black? Let me ask the question this way. Was it an Orange car before it was two-tone?

So they had to take 9.0's off the line for the paint job?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

The Base Coat is Magma (Orange). The Body is dipped in Magma, goes to a drying booth, then masked off. Then the entire Top half is sprayed Glossy Black. Final Process is a Clear Coat.

On the Exterior, you can feel the edge where the Black overlaps on top of the Magma. Also I've met other RS 9.0 owners and they show me after highway driving the picked up rock pits/chips and it hit their unprotected black hood.
You will see where the rocks/pebbles/gravel has chipped the black hood and exposed the orange underneath. Therefore, you see orange specks on the black hood.

I don't have the problem because on Day 1, I had my entire Front End done with Paint Protection Film (PPF): https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...-5-rs9-232519/

So, it was a Orange car first, then the Two-Tone Black Added afterwards.

MR_LUV

Old 06-20-2017, 01:33 AM

Thanks..
Old 06-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by YipMan_Style
So they had to take 9.0's off the line for the paint job?
Most cars and trucks are assembled pretty much the same way by most Manufacturers. They have 2 main lines. 1 for the Chassis: Engine, Transmission, Power Train, Suspensions, Wheel and Tires.
The other is for the Body. After the Body is painted and dried, it goes to have all the Interior: Instrumentation, gauges, Seats, air bags, Entertainment, electronics.

It then goes to Final Assembly where the Body is mated to the Chassis. Final pieces, wiring, assembly and testing.

RS 9.0's Body:

1. Dipped with a gray primer as a undercoat to prevent rust on the steel. The Primer is also a smooth surface for the Base Coat to adhere to.

2, Dipped in Magma (Orange) Base Coat. Goes to Drying Booth/Bay.

3. Upper Half is masked off. Glossy Black is sprayed on, allowed to dry.

4. Clear Coat applied, allowed to dry. Goes to be mated to Chassis, then Final Assembly.

MR_LUV