Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

New 2015 Scion tC Owner - Question about vinyl wrapping my lower front bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default New 2015 Scion tC Owner - Question about vinyl wrapping my lower front bumper.

Hey guys,
Like the title said im a new tC owner. I just got a 2015 tC in Metallic Grey (Gunmetal). I just hit 104 miles on it so it is brand new and I have been researching some of the things I want to do to it. Mostly TRD springs, exhaust and intake, a CF spoiler (as low profile as I can find) and a few other small things here and there but I want a sleek look to it nothing ricey.

Anyways to my point. I am legitimately concerned with pebbles chipping the front of my bumper and as it wont protect the whole bumper I do like the way a few tc owners PlastiDipped the lower front lip of the 14-15 bumpers. I decided against using plastidip on it as I think that the plastidip will get damaged or ugly quickly with the pebbles hitting the plastidip. I purchased some carbon fiber vinyl and I am thinking about wrapping it in vinyl (just the lower middle of the front bumper.) My question is does anyone have a cutting template or a simple way to cut to the appropriate shape / size easily? If it was just a solid strait line that would be easy however I noticed that it looks really good if the edges are tapered into the grill as it rises following the natural lines of the 14 and 15 models.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered already I searched for about 20 mins for someone who has done a workup on this.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-20-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by viciouzgamer
Hey guys,
Like the title said im a new TC owner. I just got a 2015 TC in Metallic Grey (Gunmetal). I just hit 104 miles on it so it is brand new and I have been researching some of the things I want to do to it. Mostly TRD springs, exhaust and intake, a CF spoiler (as low profile as I can find) and a few other small things here and there but I want a sleek look to it nothing ricey.

Anyways to my point. I am legitimately concerned with pebbles chipping the front of my bumper and as it wont protect the whole bumper I do like the way a few tc owners PlastiDipped the lower front lip of the 14-15 bumpers. I decided against using plastidip on it as I think that the plastidip will get damaged or ugly quickly with the pebbles hitting the plastidip. I purchased some carbon fiber vinyl and I am thinking about wrapping it in vinyl (just the lower middle of the front bumper.) My question is does anyone have a cutting template or a simple way to cut to the appropriate shape / size easily? If it was just a solid strait line that would be easy however I noticed that it looks really good if the edges are tapered into the grill as it rises following the natural lines of the 14 and 15 models.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered already I searched for about 20 mins for someone who has done a workup on this.

Im bored at work and dont have the 14-15 model, but i have a 2013. I don't think there is a template for that unless if its pre-cut by a company that you have to purchase it from.

Not trying to sway you over to plasti-dip but its a lot easier to do what you want because its a spray and you just line up how you want it to look with tape like this 3M 70103 - Scotchcal? Striping Tape | O'Reilly Auto Parts and black plastidip that you can buy at Lowes for like $5, and it will allow you to do the curves you want. Plus plastidip is durable as hell I've been using plasti-dip for about 2 years and only had to redo only my rims 2 times cuz I always curb my car somehow lol

I personally think that vinyl is a hassel because if it does get messed up you will be spending more time on that alone to get it fixed the way you want it to look compared to something you can spray on and peel off if messed up.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

vinyl > plastidip any time.

anyways look up "knifeless tape" basically you can use this tape to outline the area you want to keep, then put the vinyl over the entire (lower part of the) bumper, then just pull the tape to cut the extra vinyl. kind of hard to explain in text, i def recommend youtube knifeless tape videos to get the idea
Old 02-18-2015, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
vinyl > plastidip any time.

anyways look up "knifeless tape" basically you can use this tape to outline the area you want to keep, then put the vinyl over the entire (lower part of the) bumper, then just pull the tape to cut the extra vinyl. kind of hard to explain in text, i def recommend youtube knifeless tape videos to get the idea
Ill check it out. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member

Wow that looks so easy!!

If anyone else is interested in this!!