Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:42 AM

Default New Owner

I'm a new Scion tC owner as of today. I decided on Cement for color and really didnt do any upgrades. The car I previously owned was a civic and had a lot of after market stuff, and I kind of want to gear away from that as I like this car as is. I might do things here and there, such as tinting the windows, etc. But for now its perfect for what I need. Anyways, I had a few questions. First off, can you turn off that Eco light? Every time it flashes on my eyes are drawn to it and its driving me crazy. Second, does anyone have a recommendation on the iPod cable? I want a short one, but not sure if a cheap one off amazon is a good choice. Anyone use a shorter corded one that is still good quality? Its just a whole lotta cord, especially if I'm charging my phone at the same time, which I usually am Anyways, thanks in advance and I hope to learn a lot from this forum. Oh, I almost forgot, does anyone here have the "eyebrow" of their windshield tinted? If so, can you post a picture, or state pros/cons of doing this? Thanks!

Name:  100_1239.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  154.5 KB
Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey welcome to the forum! nice cement tc btw! and as for your quetsions, theres a lot of other genius around here that can help you answer them, but i think for the eco green light flashing, you can turn that off by pressing that button on the dashboard next to the odometer. press it until it says "eco on" then hold that button down until it says "eco off" but this is just my guess cause i never tried it myself. I keep it on just so i try to tell myself to not push too much on the gas ;d
Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welcome and as for your questions the above about the eco light is correct...

also in my opinion using the stock ipod cable works best if you have an extra and want a stealth look to it you can add check this thread and see how it he did his also i have seen people drill a small hole in the cup holder and run the wires up through that and under everything so its out of the way but still have full access to it... you can also run the wire up between two pieces so its out of the way and still not damaging the interior

and as for the eye brow im guessing your talking about the legal 6 inches on the top of your windshield your legally allowed or something else
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the welcome

I figured quality was best with normal cord, so I'll just get a gear tie for now to keep it rolled up and see how putting it in between cracks so I dont damage the inside.

Yes, I was referring to the top 6''. I've never tinted that before and cant find any pictures of the tC's with it so didnt know if it was sharp looking or even worth doing.

Eco light just shows you when your getting good gas economy right? Doesn't actually interfere with what you end up getting if its off?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, FYI its just an annoying light thats there to tell you if your really driving eco or not. it bugs the ____ outta me but i like to know when im actually pushing more than what i need.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the forum! I wish everyone had a little drop on their tc's. Now every time I look at one, they look like monster trucks. Congrats though!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the party! Any other details on your previous civic? I have a 2003 Civic SI (EP3 hatch) thats going under the knife for a full build. (HFP suspension, HFP wheels+new tires, Kpro, motorswap+cybernation turbo, I/H/E, plus paint). Where you located?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome nice choice on the color
Old 05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Name:  HRDed.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  320.0 KB

Pro's: Looks cool, inexpensive, keeps sun out of your eyes, in theory keeps car cooler

Con's: Have to clean with water instead of ammonia products, that's it
Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, welcome!

If you really don't like the Eco light, you can actually remove the led fairly easily so it will just never light up.

As for the cable, you can get whatever cable you want, so long as the connectors are solid. You'll only notice an issue if the connections are intermittent.

Last, the top strip of tint... Legal length depends on state, so be sure to check your state's laws. If you're concerned about that sorta thing. You can look at my thread if you want to see what I have. It's 6" at 15%
Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

L
Originally Posted by MightyP
First, welcome!

If you really don't like the Eco light, you can actually remove the led fairly easily so it will just never light up.

As for the cable, you can get whatever cable you want, so long as the connectors are solid. You'll only notice an issue if the connections are intermittent.

Last, the top strip of tint... Legal length depends on state, so be sure to check your state's laws. If you're concerned about that sorta thing. You can look at my thread if you want to see what I have. It's 6" at 15%
edit. Discussed above.
I think there was a Eco off when pressing the mileage reset stick.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM

Thanks for all the responses! It'll be next week before I can get it in for tint, but as of now I'm thinking I'll go ahead and do the eyebrow. I figured out how to turn the eco light off, luckily, as that thing was super annoying.
I also found out that since my phones linked for bluetooth, all I had to do was turn on Pandora and it plays over the radio, and if my navigation is on my phone it'll also sound over the radio. Pretty neat feature. My civic had a full stereo system with JL sub and amp and JVC dvd player touch screen. I did the whole spoiler, "civic ex" brake light, after market lights, etc but plan on keeping this car pretty stock. Thanks for all of the input!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bambichik39
Thanks for the welcome

Eco light just shows you when your getting good gas economy right? Doesn't actually interfere with what you end up getting if its off?
Most vehicles equiped with an "eco" feature light, etc., do NOT impact the actual mpg's that you get. It's pre-programmed for max. fuel economy to alert the driver when it's detected that they're using above that pre-set amount.

Also... I'd like to extend a "welcome" to the Scionlife family too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
To "xtimxmayyx" ... HEY! any chance I can get that glass of milk now? lol

your sig line ----> "- If you give a mouse a cookie, he'll ask for a glass of milk. "
Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

welcome!

IMO at the very least, the tC needs to be dropped. it looks SO much better when its a bit lower.

the "eyebrow" your referring to is called a sunstrip.

here it is when i first got my tints.
Name:  452e40f6-1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  44.1 KB
Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 AM

Yeah they look nice lowered, but were I live it wouldn't do as well in the winter, or on the roads I take to work out in the country. It would get scraped to hell, so no plans to do much. I didn't really get it for mods or as a sports car. I just liked it the most out of the civic or altima or other brands comparable coupes. Id honestly scrape it to hell if it were lowered or I would.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bambichik39
Yeah they look nice lowered, but were I live it wouldn't do as well in the winter, or on the roads I take to work out in the country. It would get scraped to hell, so no plans to do much. I didn't really get it for mods or as a sports car. I just liked it the most out of the civic or altima or other brands comparable coupes. Id honestly scrape it to hell if it were lowered or I would.
Hey man it if you go a daily driver type drop such As the Tein H tech's. I use them and im right in the snow belt in canada. It gets rid of the wheel gap and doesnt leave u like a snow plow for the winter months. Just a heads up in case you hadnt looked at lowering the car. Also the Trd and s lines are all moderate drops that would be safe for winter.

Anyway welcome!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yardleyTC
Hey man it if you go a daily driver type drop such As the Tein H tech's. I use them and im right in the snow belt in canada. It gets rid of the wheel gap and doesnt leave u like a snow plow for the winter months. Just a heads up in case you hadnt looked at lowering the car. Also the Trd and s lines are all moderate drops that would be safe for winter.

Anyway welcome!!!
I drove through Rochester, and they have some really ____ty streets with S-Techs and I never bottomed out. H-Techs are least aggressive, and the S-techs are the most.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member

Hi and congrats in your new ride , im trading in my tc next month so i have a set of goodies if you or anyone is interested i have a set of clazzios leather black grey stiching 390$ they are new i used them like only for a little less than a month i also have a set of eibach sports springs 1 yr used 150$ and a injen air intake 8 months used 150$ and also a set of leather cover for the shift box and a leather cover with foam for the box where you rest your right arm 50$ for both anyone interested contact me salrod666@hotmail.com
Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Visor strips are a must... (8in @ 5%) here. Welcome to the forums.

Quick Reply: New Owner