Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Rattles Over Bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rattles Over Bumps

Whenever I hit a bump, specifically on the passenger side, I get a really annoying rattle coming from the sunroof when it's open. I can't narrow it down to the retractable screen or something in the window mechanism.

Has anybody else experienced this annoyance? If so, have you found a way to resolve it?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry buddy Tcs are never ending rattle pits. Best advice is crank the music.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-15-2015, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...le-fix-211015/
Old 10-15-2015, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not the door, it's the sunroof, and I don't know exactly which part is rattling.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

TB Performance Products

C-Pillar Brace
Old 10-20-2015, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing is going to solve the sunroof rattling unfortunately. It happens when it is open and also when it is just cracked in "tilt" mode or whatever you want to call it.

And yeah like wrelkin123 said, this car truly is a rattle pit. Makes my girl's 2010 Corolla seem luxurious because it's so much smoother and quieter in almost every aspect lol. I guess mine looks cooler though

As a side note, this is definitely nifty for helping with the door rattling when you crank music that has lots of bass. Did it myself a few years back. I need to redo it though because a bit of rattling has returned.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't had any problems with any noise other than the sunroof so far, but I've only put about 700 miles on it so I'm sure that will change soon enough ...
Old 10-22-2015, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Goodluck, I took my entire car apart, stinger roakilled professional crapped it, and put ensolite (rubber coating) ontop of it. I put mat between loose plastic pieces that could rattle making a firm connection. No rattling anywhere in car, did this at 5,000 miles. Sounds better too with the audio+ sound system i have in it.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh. I'll just put a fart cannon exhaust on it. It would probably be cheaper.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bought a new TC in 2013. It developed the sunroof rattle when it was in the tilt position only. Had the service dept. verify the problem while under warranty. They replaced the complete sunroof assembly with an updated version. Been about a year and the problem has not returned.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine's a 16 and has had the sunroof rattle from the day I got it. Not sure if there is an "updated" version available from what was installed at the factory, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask next time I'm there.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JordanOfGilead
Mine's a 16 and has had the sunroof rattle from the day I got it. Not sure if there is an "updated" version available from what was installed at the factory, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask next time I'm there.
Not sure where this guy got his "updated" version unless they already have 2017 models up for grabs, the 2016 is the updated version. Only when there is a recall, Toyota would make the new updated parts for replacement. they don't keep extra updated parts for people who just complain rather than putting them in the new models. He might have just got his brand spanking new and has not yet had it start rattling.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually I have one rattle developed 5-6k ago. I think my chain is lose, when i hit a bump, the seat rattles (passenger seat) but when someone is sitting in it, no rattle, i feel like the bottom cushion/and the vertical cushion are vibrating together.

I am assumign its the seat bolts are lose? or. my seat sucks and it is rattling. Its less bad when I have the seat further upright with no one in it.

grahhh. going to crank the bolts down this week.

shoot me a message if you want, since we are both in dayton. if you need any help or anything, im not great but i can do some small things or my fb is donald emosewa
Old 10-24-2015, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Actually I have one rattle developed 5-6k ago. I think my chain is lose, when i hit a bump, the seat rattles (passenger seat) but when someone is sitting in it, no rattle, i feel like the bottom cushion/and the vertical cushion are vibrating together.

I am assumign its the seat bolts are lose? or. my seat sucks and it is rattling. Its less bad when I have the seat further upright with no one in it.

grahhh. going to crank the bolts down this week.

shoot me a message if you want, since we are both in dayton. if you need any help or anything, im not great but i can do some small things or my fb is donald emosewa
I have the same thing with the seat rattle. the whole back rest shakes violently when going over bumps. it actually looks so ridiculous from how much it shakes. It looks to me like a poorly constructed seat, the back and head rest don't seem to be solid when in the fully locked position.

When all is said and one, if all we have to complain about is rattling, thats not a bad thing at all. We have a nicely sport tuned engine but still on the reliable side as well. I have no other complaints about this car, handles amazing in summer and winter months and gas mileage is about average. Very spacious for a coupe and comes stock with so many amazing features.

I was looking at grabbing a nissan 370z in my later years and found so many people complaining about the csc failure and master cylinder failure within the first year of purchasing brand new... on a $30,000 car.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "updated" but rather "newer". They installed a new rail assembly, part number 63202-21501, back in July of 2014. The assembly was visibly different from the original on my 2013. May not be the answer for everyone's rattle concern but it has worked for me so far.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDP
I have the same thing with the seat rattle. the whole back rest shakes violently when going over bumps. it actually looks so ridiculous from how much it shakes. It looks to me like a poorly constructed seat, the back and head rest don't seem to be solid when in the fully locked position.

When all is said and one, if all we have to complain about is rattling, thats not a bad thing at all. We have a nicely sport tuned engine but still on the reliable side as well. I have no other complaints about this car, handles amazing in summer and winter months and gas mileage is about average. Very spacious for a coupe and comes stock with so many amazing features.

I was looking at grabbing a nissan 370z in my later years and found so many people complaining about the csc failure and master cylinder failure within the first year of purchasing brand new... on a $30,000 car.

you nailed my seat issue, i cant figure out how to fix it. i will try tightening bolts to the floor, but yes its the back that rattles. i think its less noticeable when seat is straight upright but still annoying.

any ideas how to reduce transfer of rattles to back support part?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys, now I'm noticing the seat vibrating like crazy out of the corner of my eye. I didn't notice it until after I read this lol
Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
you nailed my seat issue, i cant figure out how to fix it. i will try tightening bolts to the floor, but yes its the back that rattles. i think its less noticeable when seat is straight upright but still annoying.

any ideas how to reduce transfer of rattles to back support part?
Have a passenger sit next to ya Haven't tried this yet but move the entire seat forward on the tracks and have the back rest as vertical as possible.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDP
Have a passenger sit next to ya Haven't tried this yet but move the entire seat forward on the tracks and have the back rest as vertical as possible.
i have a small weight belt (like 2-3 lbs) that goes around ankles,
Going to set one of them in the rear pouch on my seat (I have leather seats) maybe the extra weight will help dampen it, or really irriated and make it bounce more.