Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/)
-   -   Repair order from pig for 'illegally modified exhaust' (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/repair-order-pig-illegally-modified-exhaust-211125/)

biglilsteve 01-17-2012 05:28 PM

Repair order from pig for 'illegally modified exhaust'

Just got a repair order earlier for my Tsudo exhaust. Cop said it was illegally modified for the state of Maryland.

What does this really mean? The exhaust is not defective and is well secured with Torque Solution hangers. Also, it couldn't have been that loud since I wasn't driving very aggressively...

WellesleyScion 01-17-2012 05:37 PM

Take it to court, tell the magistrate that you dont even know what "illegally modified" means... when the magistrate tells you about aftermarket exhausts, just go "well thats what the car came with... so I dont understand what the ticket is for"

I had a cop question the exhaust on my xD once, I just said that "this exhaust came from the factory like that", and he changed subject real quick...

Cops dont like looking stupid infront of a judge if you can prove it... So they wont question when you tell them its OEM...

Backinblacktc2 01-17-2012 05:39 PM

Damn that sucks... Mabye you can fight the ticket. Read up on your local laws ASAP.

MightyP 01-17-2012 05:40 PM

Buddy of mine, also from Maryland, had a cop do the same thing to him. Only his WRX actually WAS sporting the factory exhaust.

biglilsteve 01-17-2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion (Post 3961988)
Take it to court, tell the magistrate that you dont even know what "illegally modified" means... when the magistrate tells you about aftermarket exhausts, just go "well thats what the car came with... so I dont understand what the ticket is for"

I had a cop question the exhaust on my xD once, I just said that "this exhaust came from the factory like that", and he changed subject real quick...

Cops dont like looking stupid infront of a judge if you can prove it... So they wont question when you tell them its OEM...

What do you think are the chances of them calling my bluff?

Originally Posted by Backinblacktc2 (Post 3961990)
Damn that sucks... Mabye you can fight the ticket. Read up on your local laws ASAP.

Doing that as we speak sigh.

biglilsteve 01-17-2012 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by MightyP (Post 3961991)
Buddy of mine, also from Maryland, had a cop do the same thing to him. Only his WRX actually WAS sporting the factory exhaust.

Hah, get out of here.

WellesleyScion 01-17-2012 05:45 PM

Bring in a schematic of the OE exhaust from a Toyota manual. There is nothing to call when you show them that... Just dont go in there all chucklehouse, you need to Van Damme them...

yardleyTC 01-17-2012 06:26 PM

this is what i found out online about the exhaust laws in maryland>
Maryland
Exhaust Systems
One can find the typical provisions regarding muffl ers being required and cutouts being prohibited in Title 22 of the Maryland Transportation Code, section 402. This section also states that "[n]oise levels in excess of those adopted by the Administrator under 22-601 of this title are excessive," but upon inspection, section 601 only vests the "Administrator" with the power to do this, and we were unable to find any section where noise levels were actually stated. They may well exist elsewhere in the Code or other legal provision of the state.

However, in the same title of the Maryland Transportation Code, section 609 states that "[a] person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this state in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured," and that no person may drive a vehicle so modified "on any highway in this state," which we should presume refers to any public road.

The very next section (610) then states something even more intriguing, and very similar to an aforementioned Florida statute: "A person may not sell or offer for sale in this state for use as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle any exhaust muffl er, intake uffl er, or other noise abatement device that, when installed, will permit the vehicle to be operated in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the ehicle as originally manufactured." But things get even worse, in that "[t] he manufacturer of each exhaust muffl er, intake muffl er, or other noise abatement device sold in this state for use as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle shall file with the Administration a written certification that the particular device, when installed for its intended application, complies with the requirements of this section," which seems to imply the existence of a certification scheme analogous to that of California. We alerted the folks at sEMA to this provision and ill keep you updated on any information we may come across on this and whether it's truly in effect.

Read more: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...#ixzz1jkGribPq

burstaneurysm 01-17-2012 08:14 PM

Odds are, he saw a huge exhaust tip and decided to give you a ticket for an aftermarket exhaust.
Most states have a provision that you cannot replace the stock exhaust with an aftermarket piece.

It doesn't sound like the 'illegally modified exhaust' was that the exhaust was in some way defective or anything. It was illegally modified by simply existing.

dm1336 01-17-2012 11:12 PM

Modified yes but does it make more noise than the stock? Probably.... With a silly law like that, do they sell aftermarket mufflers in your state?

But like Wellesley said, tell them it's stock. Lol

Hopefully you don't have many tC's in your state for them to know what a stock muffler looks like compared to the shiny Tsudo.

Cisco_TeamShogun 01-18-2012 01:05 AM

Come to Philly, you can get away with murder around here...

Also, what upsets me, is that you may had gotten a ticket for being to loud, or for modifying the exhaust, but why is ok for motorcycles to be so damn annoying and loud...

Dont get me wrong, I like bikes, but I dont think the laws are applied fairly

Druidiron 01-18-2012 01:19 AM

WTB Tsudo exhaust: cheap!!! I thought you lived in Houston for some reason...

Backinblacktc2 01-18-2012 03:09 AM

Sell it and buy a descendant exhaust. At least it looks fairly stock IMO and isn't as loud as the tsudo

ProjectTC2 01-18-2012 07:45 PM

Worst case scenario, you can sell it to me and buy yourself a descendant exhaust :) I was looking to buy either a tsudo or descendant exhaust this weekend, it's fate!

biglilsteve 01-18-2012 10:43 PM

Haha true. Well so far my plan is to put the stock exhaust back on so I can get it signed off on. After that I think I may just get a good axel-back...

MightyP 01-19-2012 01:49 AM

Got a sound certification last weekend in order to be able to race with an auto club here. Interesting thing is the TRD exhaust (50 state legal) was nearly as loud as the Descendant. Meter was set 50 ft from the driving lane and cars were tested at speed with WOT. The max we could get was 92 dB (I believe). Three of us tC2 owners were tested, each with a different exhaust.

Scott (Stock exhaust): ~72 dBs
Aaron (TRD exhaust): 83 dBs
Me (Descendant): 83 dBs*

*The Descendant was likely louder than 83 dBs, but I kept forgetting and shifting before the meter.

My point here is the TRD exhaust is louder than stock but specifically designed to be legal in all 50 states.

biglilsteve 01-19-2012 01:58 AM

Hmmm, this is interesting information! I think I am just leaning towards an axle-back though due to the very loud droning this exhaust gives when moderately accelerating. I'd love to just get the TRD and be done with it, but it's so darn expensive. I'd definitely take a loss if I sold mine to get it. I guess I'd pretty much take a loss regardless if I sold mine and got another though.

I've got some thinking to do. And some weighing of some pros and cons to do. I have always liked the Descendant's tone better than any other exhaust for this car. The Tsudo was just such a good bargain at the time.

MightyP 01-19-2012 02:01 AM

I love my Descendant exhaust. At low RPMs, has a much nicer note than the TRD and really isn't all that loud unless you are really getting on it. My motor mount makes the car much noisier than the Descendant exhaust.

Druidiron 01-19-2012 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by MightyP (Post 3962688)
Got a sound certification last weekend in order to be able to race with an auto club here. Interesting thing is the TRD exhaust (50 state legal) was nearly as loud as the Descendant. Meter was set 50 ft from the driving lane and cars were tested at speed with WOT. The max we could get was 92 dB (I believe). Three of us tC2 owners were tested, each with a different exhaust.

Scott (Stock exhaust): ~72 dBs
Aaron (TRD exhaust): 83 dBs
Me (Descendant): 83 dBs*

*The Descendant was likely louder than 83 dBs, but I kept forgetting and shifting before the meter.

My point here is the TRD exhaust is louder than stock but specifically designed to be legal in all 50 states.

Paul...get the Aaron guy to send Steve his recept and or paperwork that says it is TRD, and legal in all 50 states. Steve, take that info to court. Whalla! Problem solved.

ProjectTC2 01-19-2012 02:32 AM

If you're interested in axleback's, you should take a look at the tanabee exhausts. They're not much louder than stock but sound significantly better