Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/)
-   -   rock chips (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/rock-chips-225184/)

jrockz 09-28-2013 03:05 PM

rock chips

I got a 2 week old 2014 scion tc and I have 5 rocks chips on my front Fender and hood already.
is it me or does the paint comes off very easily? I've owned 3 different cars and never had this problem.

I'm thinking of getting a carbon fibre hood tape to cover the whole hood and it looks kinda good too. Or I might get some clear 3m tape but that's very expensive stuff and it won't cover enough. Any suggestions?

Newman 09-28-2013 03:09 PM

I had mine for a year and yes rock chips are a pain especially on the front bumper and front of the hood.

you should do the protective film idea, even though it may get expensive.

I'm going to see whether the dealer can help with my chips the next time i go in for service.

jrockz 09-28-2013 04:20 PM

The thing is, my car is only 2 weeks old. I feel the paint is pretty cheap.

Newman 09-28-2013 04:28 PM

based on my experience yes its quick to chip, but i still do not have too many of these chips after 1 year to cause serious concern. so i wouldn't rate it as a cheap paintjob exactly. but it's definitely not great paintjob quality.

you will want existing chips taken care of especially if they are deep. if its starts to rust on the hood and fender your car is in trouble.

do you drive in off-road areas or areas with roads that have a lot of small rocks? this car's paint would fare very badly in such areas.

jgj925 09-28-2013 04:35 PM

my hood is all chipped up. i got a hood bra to cover up half of them. estimates to touch up all my chips was like $250+ then i'd get a protective clear film which would make the total process too much

jrockz 09-28-2013 04:37 PM

Drive on the highway everyday

KidJustin 09-28-2013 04:54 PM

yes the paint is cheap. scion isn't a expensive car

biglilsteve 09-28-2013 08:35 PM

^
Yeah that. Its the one thing I hate most about choosing a darker color.

Newman 09-29-2013 02:29 AM

if we were to repaint our cars, would we fare any better against rock chips? or should we repaint and then immediately install those clear protective films? I'm talking about repainting many years down the road when we can't take it any more.

jgj925 09-29-2013 02:31 AM

it depends on the quality of the paint and the person that paints it im guessing. im sure it'd be way better than the stock paint.

CSM 09-29-2013 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by KidJustin (Post 4128098)
yes the paint is cheap. scion isn't a expensive car

I agree

MadFunnyBruh 09-29-2013 08:39 AM

I got that tiny cheat on my windshield, any ides how I might mix that? Not feeling like getting a new windshield...

CSM 09-29-2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadFunnyBruh (Post 4128136)
I got that tiny cheat on my windshield, any ides how I might mix that? Not feeling like getting a new windshield...

http://www.gerbercollision.com/WindshieldRepair.asp
Theres DIY kits too

Newman 09-29-2013 11:25 PM

well if it has even the slightest crack you should repair that windshield ASAP. avoid closing the doors too hard until that happens. if its a tiny chip that has not gone through the glass and only chipped a tiny bit off the top glass surface (basically its hard to see) then there is not much you can do. i don't think auto glass shops can repair that kind of tiny chip. they can only repair if it has gone through the glass layer.

I already have had to replace my entire windshield, let me tell you its not cheap. i waited too long to get a small spider crack filled and once the passenger door was slammed it cracked to about 1/3 of the windshield!
on my new windshield i have two tiny chips already. can't fix those yet.

MadFunnyBruh 09-30-2013 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Newman (Post 4128174)
well if it has even the slightest crack you should repair that windshield ASAP. avoid closing the doors too hard until that happens. if its a tiny chip that has not gone through the glass and only chipped a tiny bit off the top glass surface (basically its hard to see) then there is not much you can do. i don't think auto glass shops can repair that kind of tiny chip. they can only repair if it has gone through the glass layer.

I already have had to replace my entire windshield, let me tell you its not cheap. i waited too long to get a small spider crack filled and once the passenger door was slammed it cracked to about 1/3 of the windshield!
on my new windshield i have two tiny chips already. can't fix those yet.

thnx for the input. I will try to take a pic tomorrow, but it is just the surface and it didnt even go through the first glass. So yea I guess there is nothing I can do here =(

Misterlu 09-30-2013 02:10 PM

just don't tail people on the highway or get near them. Thats how you get about 70% of your rock chips.

Newman 09-30-2013 03:50 PM

i get mine from passing by trucks and the time i had to replace my windshield that was a decent rock falling from a bridge while i was passing under it (what are the chances??)

Apparently, unless you have "Dent and Ding" protection (it's what toyota calls it) on your scion, then they will not cover your rock chips on the paint. bummer. I'll probably have to pay a bit to have mine fixed.

tea_sea 10-01-2013 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve (Post 4128106)
^
Yeah that. Its the one thing I hate most about choosing a darker color.

I have an alpine white and the rock chips on my bumper reveal black plastic (I'm guessing that's the bumper itself and not primer). Are the rock chips on your crimson mica light gray/white?

Zero90 10-01-2013 03:26 PM

I got a rock chip on my windshield within the first 4 months and about **** a brick, I was so mad. I used the resin stuff myself to patch it up and had it done again for 35 bucks by some lady that does that stuff and its been a year now and hasn't gotten any bigger. Also got my safety inspection done and no issues.

TurtleTurtle_12 10-01-2013 03:38 PM

tea sea: I have a cement and the rock chips reveal black plastic as well