Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member

Default rock chips

I got a 2 week old 2014 scion tc and I have 5 rocks chips on my front Fender and hood already.
is it me or does the paint comes off very easily? I've owned 3 different cars and never had this problem.

I'm thinking of getting a carbon fibre hood tape to cover the whole hood and it looks kinda good too. Or I might get some clear 3m tape but that's very expensive stuff and it won't cover enough. Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had mine for a year and yes rock chips are a pain especially on the front bumper and front of the hood.

you should do the protective film idea, even though it may get expensive.

I'm going to see whether the dealer can help with my chips the next time i go in for service.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member

The thing is, my car is only 2 weeks old. I feel the paint is pretty cheap.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

based on my experience yes its quick to chip, but i still do not have too many of these chips after 1 year to cause serious concern. so i wouldn't rate it as a cheap paintjob exactly. but it's definitely not great paintjob quality.

you will want existing chips taken care of especially if they are deep. if its starts to rust on the hood and fender your car is in trouble.

do you drive in off-road areas or areas with roads that have a lot of small rocks? this car's paint would fare very badly in such areas.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:35 PM
SL Member

my hood is all chipped up. i got a hood bra to cover up half of them. estimates to touch up all my chips was like $250+ then i'd get a protective clear film which would make the total process too much
Old 09-28-2013, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member

Drive on the highway everyday
Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yes the paint is cheap. scion isn't a expensive car
Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
Yeah that. Its the one thing I hate most about choosing a darker color.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if we were to repaint our cars, would we fare any better against rock chips? or should we repaint and then immediately install those clear protective films? I'm talking about repainting many years down the road when we can't take it any more.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 AM
SL Member

it depends on the quality of the paint and the person that paints it im guessing. im sure it'd be way better than the stock paint.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 AM
CSM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
yes the paint is cheap. scion isn't a expensive car
I agree
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM
SL Member

I got that tiny cheat on my windshield, any ides how I might mix that? Not feeling like getting a new windshield...
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM
CSM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MadFunnyBruh
I got that tiny cheat on my windshield, any ides how I might mix that? Not feeling like getting a new windshield...
http://www.gerbercollision.com/WindshieldRepair.asp
Theres DIY kits too
Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if it has even the slightest crack you should repair that windshield ASAP. avoid closing the doors too hard until that happens. if its a tiny chip that has not gone through the glass and only chipped a tiny bit off the top glass surface (basically its hard to see) then there is not much you can do. i don't think auto glass shops can repair that kind of tiny chip. they can only repair if it has gone through the glass layer.

I already have had to replace my entire windshield, let me tell you its not cheap. i waited too long to get a small spider crack filled and once the passenger door was slammed it cracked to about 1/3 of the windshield!
on my new windshield i have two tiny chips already. can't fix those yet.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman
well if it has even the slightest crack you should repair that windshield ASAP. avoid closing the doors too hard until that happens. if its a tiny chip that has not gone through the glass and only chipped a tiny bit off the top glass surface (basically its hard to see) then there is not much you can do. i don't think auto glass shops can repair that kind of tiny chip. they can only repair if it has gone through the glass layer.

I already have had to replace my entire windshield, let me tell you its not cheap. i waited too long to get a small spider crack filled and once the passenger door was slammed it cracked to about 1/3 of the windshield!
on my new windshield i have two tiny chips already. can't fix those yet.
thnx for the input. I will try to take a pic tomorrow, but it is just the surface and it didnt even go through the first glass. So yea I guess there is nothing I can do here =(
Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just don't tail people on the highway or get near them. Thats how you get about 70% of your rock chips.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get mine from passing by trucks and the time i had to replace my windshield that was a decent rock falling from a bridge while i was passing under it (what are the chances??)

Apparently, unless you have "Dent and Ding" protection (it's what toyota calls it) on your scion, then they will not cover your rock chips on the paint. bummer. I'll probably have to pay a bit to have mine fixed.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
^
Yeah that. Its the one thing I hate most about choosing a darker color.
I have an alpine white and the rock chips on my bumper reveal black plastic (I'm guessing that's the bumper itself and not primer). Are the rock chips on your crimson mica light gray/white?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a rock chip on my windshield within the first 4 months and about **** a brick, I was so mad. I used the resin stuff myself to patch it up and had it done again for 35 bucks by some lady that does that stuff and its been a year now and hasn't gotten any bigger. Also got my safety inspection done and no issues.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tea sea: I have a cement and the rock chips reveal black plastic as well

Quick Reply: rock chips