Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Scion tC 2G reliability - better info

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still stuck. Updated stats for other Scions, though.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member

I have 48k on my car right now and haven't had to do anything to it besides routine maintenance.

If its anything like my old camry it will probly stay that way. That car had 240,000 miles on it when it was totaled, but never had any mechanical issues and ran great, original engine and automatic transmission and all. Even the electronics in the car all still worked, only exception being the fused rear brake light indicator..which my assumption is that newer bulbs put out less resistance then bulbs of the 1998 (model year of the car) so..not really a issue lol
Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by rnaz1017
I have 48k on my car right now and haven't had to do anything to it besides routine maintenance.

If its anything like my old camry it will probly stay that way. That car had 240,000 miles on it when it was totaled, but never had any mechanical issues and ran great, original engine and automatic transmission and all. Even the electronics in the car all still worked, only exception being the fused rear brake light indicator..which my assumption is that newer bulbs put out less resistance then bulbs of the 1998 (model year of the car) so..not really a issue lol
Also forgot to mention my brother has a 2005 tC and has..somewhere in the 150-180k mileage range on it and hasn't had any major mechanical issues either besides routine maintenance...literally put that car through hell and back, moved to new england, after spending a few years driving back and fourth from North Carolina to Pennsylvania and drove out to Texas a few times and lived out there for a few months etc.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rnaz1017
Your experience could be typical. Hope we eventually have enough owners signed up to find out.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Your experience could be typical. Hope we eventually have enough owners signed up to find out.
How are we looking on this? Just added my 2011.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

70k miles this week, still on original everything except oil. Considering changing my brake pads soon however, (i tow around a motorcycle and trailer a lot.) so they could be good, but i'd rather change them out.

hoping for 200k maitenance free.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Original tires and brakes??? Is that even safe??? At 50k, my OE pads were so bad the car felt downright dangerous when trying to brake sometimes. You tow too which makes it even more flabbergasting to me lol.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Original tires and brakes??? Is that even safe??? At 50k, my OE pads were so bad the car felt downright dangerous when trying to brake sometimes. You tow too which makes it even more flabbergasting to me lol.
I switched from yokohamas to pirelli p7 all season plus at 40k. put 30k on my new tires in last 6-7 months. lol
No theres no issues with braking I just feel like it might be getting low just feels a little different. Just a feeling that its time to replace the brakes, and I ride my brakes over time, not a quick stop. so I am one of those people who wear them down, no squeeling or loss of braking though. Just came back from texas few days ago hauling motorcycle, worked like a dream. I am thinking in a few hundred miles getting my 70k oil change+new pads.

about 15k of my miles are city, 55k is highway, so theres not been much brake use, I think thats why they lasted so well. Last oil change the paper read them in the "yellow" for brakes saying they are good to go. Green was good, yellow medium, red bad. I was like 6mm of brake if i recall? I don't remember. I will know next oil change coming up though.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn I guess Im just a grandpa driver these days. I got almost 90,000 miles on my stock pads, and about 60,000 miles on the stock yoks. im about to change my second set of brake pads, and I have 184,000 miles on my car. all I have put into this car is 4 sets of tires (2 all season, and 2 snow tires), 1 set of brake pads, one set of rotors, and a water pump. every other part is stock. My clutch is in need of replacement, but im trying to stretch it to 200,000. If this car is not reliable either you bought a lemon, or you drive like its a race car. either way im hoping to hit 400,000 miles on this car before I get something else. BTW I have a 2011 which I bought new with 6 miles on it.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by talt2008
Damn I guess Im just a grandpa driver these days. I got almost 90,000 miles on my stock pads, and about 60,000 miles on the stock yoks. im about to change my second set of brake pads, and I have 184,000 miles on my car. all I have put into this car is 4 sets of tires (2 all season, and 2 snow tires), 1 set of brake pads, one set of rotors, and a water pump. every other part is stock. My clutch is in need of replacement, but im trying to stretch it to 200,000. If this car is not reliable either you bought a lemon, or you drive like its a race car. either way im hoping to hit 400,000 miles on this car before I get something else. BTW I have a 2011 which I bought new with 6 miles on it.
That's an OG right there.

And I thought I had a lot of miles!! I'm creeping up on 80k myself. That's awesome though... Can't believe we have a tC2 nearing 200k.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cant believe it either. its been a fun journey so far, and hopefully many more miles to record. Glad to see some familiar faces around here still.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
That's an OG right there.

And I thought I had a lot of miles!! I'm creeping up on 80k myself. That's awesome though... Can't believe we have a tC2 nearing 200k.
I am glad to hear it, means I wont have any issues.
I am 72k at 3.5mm front brakes 6.5mm rear brakes. I rebought OEM brake pads from trdsparks, I am pad slapping the front since rotors look great and no one machines rotors in my area. lol. I also bought mine new 0 miles on it.

i am averaging 30-33mpg per tank, have for along time. really happy overall with this car.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by talt2008
I cant believe it either. its been a fun journey so far, and hopefully many more miles to record. Glad to see some familiar faces around here still.
Wow, that's a lot of driving haha. Curious though, do you have the cold start rattle that a lot of cars with this engine has?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by byronthecarguy
Lol yea my TC2 has more TORQUE that that wimpy FRS dude. I'll take my launch over your 15-20 HP difference any day of the week. But I suppose more TC2s will be seeing more FRS's in their rear view. But props on that whole low center of gravity and balance thing. And I see way more females driving FRS's than TC2's.
Hate to burst your bubble, but your tC is a far cry from a performance vehicle, and that FR-S would destroy you in nearly every situation(not just boring street drags), stock for stock(sometimes even not). Look up something called Gearing if you think horsepower and torque are the only members that matter. RWD puts power down much better than FWD, and a light car is a better car in every way. I have a tC, and love it for what it is, but I would trade it for one of the triplets if I was given the opportunity. More females buy the tC than the triplets, that's been proven, and true sports car enthusiasts more often own a triplet.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zerosky
350z,genesis coupe, wrx...if I cared about hp and racing haha. I just wanted a nice affordable dd

Sent from JARVIS
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Neither car is a sports car, neither car is fast or impressive. They look nice and had a wonderful market campaign, hyped the frs to make it appear as some race car when it's not.

The FR-S may be a little low on power, but it's lightweight, has a low center of gravity, and a well-balanced chassis. It's as much of a sports car (and depending on who you ask, more of one) than the Miata, which has been acclaimed as THE affordable sports car for pushing 30 years.

Also, I really wish you guys would stop bringing up the genesis coupe. It's powerful for the price, but holy crap does that thing break a LOT. In under 11,000 miles my rear diff mounting bolts sheared, pretty much destroying the back end, the stock tires were worn down to zero tread, the factory brakes were done and one caliper had gone out (brembo my ___).
Power and rwd does not a race car make. It's not even in the same game as the Z cars and WRX/STIs.