Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

SRI Vs. CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SRI Vs. CAI

Ive been looking all over to see what the best overal package for the tc2 is relating to the intake systems. Im looking to see if most people run on SRI or CAI, if so where have you felt power gains and where have you felt a loss in power? i noticed recently that people have been saying more and more that they took off certains brands of intakes due to them being robbed of all of their power. Im a college student in Canada so funds are not massive, id prefer to get it right the first time!

Thanks for any input
Chris
Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

injen cai. u can switch it to sri if needed
Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats what i was looking at. that does seem to be the best. Do you know how the power band is with both of them?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SRI is near pointless when it comes to power. Sure you may get more airflow, but since its just the hot and non-dense air floating around the engine bay it defeats the purpose. Just adds noise.

Go with a CAI. And you don't need to worry about water. The area where the filter is located is well protected from water. I have had my takeda in for several months and have been through all kinds of heavy rainfall without any issues.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 210of2200RS7
injen cai. u can switch it to sri if needed
Descendant can do it too
Old 01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I was looking at CAI as well didn't know who to go with for best performance.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Emo1127
Yeah I was looking at CAI as well didn't know who to go with for best performance.
Exactly i was looking to seehow the power band was brand to brand.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
SRI is near pointless when it comes to power. Sure you may get more airflow, but since its just the hot and non-dense air floating around the engine bay it defeats the purpose. Just adds noise.

Go with a CAI. And you don't need to worry about water. The area where the filter is located is well protected from water. I have had my takeda in for several months and have been through all kinds of heavy rainfall without any issues.
The issue in Ottawa is that there is tons of snow im maybe a little bit worried about getting it wet.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the my boy the black mamba is running with desendent and it seems to be a good price.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok here we go,+) short ram was better throttle response in take off.+) short ram air cools off once driving, -) the a/f ratio goes awol at around 5k rpm. c.a.i. +) air is just about 2 degree difference from outside temp. +)not as loud, +)a/f ratio stays smooth, -) easy but pain to clean filter, -)the off the line response sucks at normal take off. just my thoughts, and not in stone.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ESEMRFOZZ13
ok here we go,+) short ram was better throttle response in take off.+) short ram air cools off once driving, -) the a/f ratio goes awol at around 5k rpm. c.a.i. +) air is just about 2 degree difference from outside temp. +)not as loud, +)a/f ratio stays smooth, -) easy but pain to clean filter, -)the off the line response sucks at normal take off. just my thoughts, and not in stone.
Ya I understand that. And they all makes sense. I'm looking for concrete brand testimonals. And what not to buy!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres what i have found out over the years...

CAI
-better HP and TQ
-Because its lower to the ground more dangerous in messing up your engine if you go through water
-less mpg then stock because its pulling more air= putting out more power...
-can set off the Check engine light due to the increase air or if any moisture gets in

RAI
-better TQ and HP then stock but not as good as CAI
-better for areas with alot of rain and Humidity
-sits on top of a engine so it is still getting warmer air which means you get better mpg then a CAI but still get the cleaner air then the stock

EDIT: I have a Takeda CAI that i love for the power gains however i mainly drive in the city and it dropped my mpg down about 3-4 mpg and im not sure that its worth it right now since i dont use the power that often
Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A typical living environment in the upper midwest can see temp swings of 120 degrees across a year. Even driving down a road and passing over a shady or damp section of pavement can cause large instantaneous temp swings. A 2 or 3 degree change in iat due to a cai and the associated air density change is not going to throw afr's off (your maf and ecu are set up just for this function, hence the name mass air flow sensor).

These intakes do almost nothing overall for performance. Noticable change on the 1st gen tc (other than those whose butt dynos are fooled by loud noises) and likely just as little on the 2nd gen. Newer cars have pretty decent intake designs from the factory.

And yes, an sri is drawing hot engine bay air. A metal tube cai also heat soaks like crazy every time you stop. So there are downfalls there as well.

They make the car sound kind of cool, dress up the engine bay and maybe add a tiny little performance gain, so buy mostly based upon build quality and price. Or build the gfi (search for it) which is cheaper and heat soaks less.

I ran a 1st gen without a cai, then with one for a long while, then without. Honestly no noticeable difference other than very slight fuel economy improvement when going back to stock.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

all the info dumping/sharing should be in here for better organization

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203274
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion202
all the info dumping/sharing should be in here for better organization

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203274
I was looking for not numbers per say but more personal views after use.and why people changed from one to another
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
A typical living environment in the upper midwest can see temp swings of 120 degrees across a year. Even driving down a road and passing over a shady or damp section of pavement can cause large instantaneous temp swings. A 2 or 3 degree change in iat due to a cai and the associated air density change is not going to throw afr's off (your maf and ecu are set up just for this function, hence the name mass air flow sensor).

These intakes do almost nothing overall for performance. Noticable change on the 1st gen tc (other than those whose butt dynos are fooled by loud noises) and likely just as little on the 2nd gen. Newer cars have pretty decent intake designs from the factory.

And yes, an sri is drawing hot engine bay air. A metal tube cai also heat soaks like crazy every time you stop. So there are downfalls there as well.

They make the car sound kind of cool, dress up the engine bay and maybe add a tiny little performance gain, so buy mostly based upon build quality and price. Or build the gfi (search for it) which is cheaper and heat soaks less.

I ran a 1st gen without a cai, then with one for a long while, then without. Honestly no noticeable difference other than very slight fuel economy improvement when going back to stock.
unless you have seen what the short ram a/f was doing on the dyno, you've got no say. as for the 2 degree i spoke of, it was to state the way it stays close to outside temp. did you miss the part where once you start rolling temps drop.intakes tend to change the pipe size, wich can go rich or lean.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ntake+shootout
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The reason the sri was having that effect is more likely due to turbulence from having the filter too close to the maf (a common issue with short rams), not because of anything else. And that is assuming your differences were real, not measured immediately after putting the sri on the car.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its just an intake. No matter how you look at it, there aren't any gains that are worth really writing home about. Takeda promised me 11 HP and torque. There's no way I'm getting that out of it. A CAI is a CAI is a CAI.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

All SRI/CAI = Sound, Looks, Tiny HP increase at high RPMs, HP decrease at low RPMs

Seems to me like all everyone should be looking for is the one that decreases the power at low RPMs the least haha

Quick Reply: SRI Vs. CAI