Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

tC2 Chief Engineer coming by in a few weeks: Thoughts to communicate to him?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC2 Chief Engineer coming by in a few weeks: Thoughts to communicate to him?

Hi guys,

The Chief Engineer of the tC is coming down for a visit in a few weeks. We're not sure what the exact purpose of the visit is, but it's definitely a good time to get some feedback to him. So far, the gripes I've encountered include:

1. Reverse Light - There's only a reverse bulb on the driver's side. The passenger side just has a plug. I think this is a major issue for most owners, as they are not told that it only has 1 bulb.

2. A-pillar black out tape - The A-pillar has black tape on it (similar to the xB2). I personally think it's ok, but I've heard a lot of comments against it.

3. Rear-end styling - It's, of course, subjective. Hopefully we can at least find his inspiration on getting it there.

4. Climate Controls - It's gone to the typical Scion *****. Not as upscale as the tC1.

5. Auto up/down on the windows - Standard on both windows on the tC1, but not the tC2

6. Auto-off headlights - Standard on the first gen but not the second tC2

7. Lack of plastic Valve Cover on engine (Standard on tC1)

8. Glass wind splitter - Why deleted?

9. Passenger side vent - Why circular (as opposed to matching)

10. Engine Choice - Why 2AR-FE ? Why not turbo-charged small displacement?

11. EPS System - Increase road-feel?

In addition, there are definitely things we want to applaud, to keep these types of things coming:

1. 6-speed transmissions - Both are smooth and geared nicely.

2. Driver-bias tilt of the radio/climate controls - Reminiscent of the last Supra, centering on the driver's experience.

3. The air vent accents - Simply awesome (except the random oddball circular one on the passenger side, same type found in the xB/xD).

4. "Seat-memory" system for the front seats - Adjusting the seat after someone gets in the back is a PITA. The new tC has a new quick release located on the shoulders of both front seats. The position is retained now.

5. Steering Wheel - Material and size are great

6. Seats - Great bucket 'hug' design, suggest added lumbar arch

7. Chop Top Styling

8. Hidden Child Restraint Brackets

9. Extremely common bolt-pattern used for wheels

Tack a few more thoughts on ~please include the 'area in question' along with a brief description of why it's a good/bad thing.

This is strictly regarding the tC2.

Please don't clutter the thread with a FT-86 wishlist

Last edited by jkchang626; 10-25-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about why are the apillars on the outside of the car not color matched?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

-Auto up/down on the windows. Standard on the first gen, but not the 2nd gen.
-Auto-off headlights. Again standard on the first gen but not the second.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by topekatc
how about why are the apillars on the outside of the car not color matched?
The a-pillars are color-matched. It's black vinyl tape over it (same on the xB, and on the B-Pillars on all Scions). I've seen a few with it taken off. Looks a bit off. The black-out piece gives the illusion of a full glass sweep. It's definitely a suggestive thing. I'll ask "Why" though.

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
-Auto up/down on the windows. Standard on the first gen, but not the 2nd gen.
-Auto-off headlights. Again standard on the first gen but not the second.
These are 2 very good ones. I had totally forgotten about the auto UP also.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much hp it actually has, not the 'rated'...like tc1 is rated 160 but makes 140...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fewjative
how much hp it actually has, not the 'rated'...like tc1 is rated 160 but makes 140...
All manufacturers rate the HP based on engine output, so it does not assume the possible loss throughout the drive train and environmental conditions. The only way is to throw the 2 cars on the same dyno with same environmental conditions to get a comparable rating. Without the same outside factors, it would be a bust. Rule of thumb is 15-20% loss on an automatic.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Its purely a cosmetic deal, but the lack of a valve cover.
And also, the wind splitter for the sun roof. Once again, for me a cosmetic problem, but I liked the glass wind splitter on my 07.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Superpickel
Its purely a cosmetic deal, but the lack of a valve cover.
And also, the wind splitter for the sun roof. Once again, for me a cosmetic problem, but I liked the glass wind splitter on my 07.
Gotcha. I'll add the valve cover to the list.

On the glass wind splitter, I think it was because of rocks hitting it. It basically became an extension of the windshield, so it may break on impact. I didn't see a lot of these breaking, but often enough to cause concern. I'll hit on that as well.

So no positives guys? LOL. Did I already cover all the PROS?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jkchang626
Gotcha. I'll add the valve cover to the list.

On the glass wind splitter, I think it was because of rocks hitting it. It basically became an extension of the windshield, so it may break on impact. I didn't see a lot of these breaking, but often enough to cause concern. I'll hit on that as well.

So no positives guys? LOL. Did I already cover all the PROS?
I believe its called an engine cover. the valve cover is part of the motor.

Positives:
Great handling
Plenty of power
6 Speeds
love the aggressive styling
Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I'm sure a lot of 1st Gen owners will want to know what can be swapped into a 1st gen, lol.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Also, the tC1 was never available outside the USDM, Guam, Canada, and PR. However, the xB2 and the xD became available in Euro/Asian markets as the COROLLA Rumion and the IST/Urban Cruiser. Will we ever see a JDM tC2 in a RHD configuration for other countries? (I find the single reverse light may be indicative of the required rear fog setup for Euro/Asian countries, at least I hope it's that and not that they're just being ultra ridiculously cheap S@#F$%##ZZ%^&I@!#^%@!ches)
Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure a lot of 1st Gen owners will want to know what can be swapped into a 1st gen, lol.

^^This
Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Why is it so ugly? ROFL

I had too!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's usually called an "Engine Cover", but most refer to it also as the plastic valve cover (as opposed to the actual metal valve cover).

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Also, the tC1 was never available outside the USDM, Guam, Canada, and PR. However, the xB2 and the xD became available in Euro/Asian markets as the COROLLA Rumion and the IST/Urban Cruiser. Will we ever see a JDM tC2 in a RHD configuration for other countries? (I find the single reverse light may be indicative of the required rear fog setup for Euro/Asian countries, at least I hope it's that and not that they're just being ultra ridiculously cheap S@#F$%##ZZ%^&I@!#^%@!ches)
The xB was designed after the Rumion. The xD came after the IST. The tC is a standalone to fill the gap the Celica left behind (many of the tC2 owners I've spoke to owned/wanted a Celica). Was the Celica available in Thailand (sorry, I'm unfamiliar with what's available in your market). It's unlikely for him to know the answer to this though. This will likely be up to the bean counters and "vehicle segment strategists" somewhere in the clouds in Aichi, Nagoya, JP. (forgot which building, but it's one of these: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink) and the main building here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink next to the Great Exhibition Hall.

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Why is it so ugly? ROFL

I had too!
Be more elaborate in your comments (which areas, why). This way, we can ensure the feedback is listened to for future vehicles.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Its a joke! Cause im not a fan of how it looks!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of that list is the issue with your country's product planning department, not the engineer from Japan.

- Engine cover from the Camry with the 2.5L engine fits. I guess it wasn't spec'd by Toyota USA.
- Dual reverse lights are available in other countries, just not here. Guessing it wasn't spec'd as well by Toyota USA. Same goes for the smart-key system.
- Windows and auto headlights I bet were specs too...Don't know.

I could be totally wrong though.

Remember, the North American mindset is that we want it all for nothing. Well...this is your result. "Ask and you shall receive". Want to complain cars cost too much? This is what you get, cars that are de-spec'd to keep costs down.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jkchang626
The xB was designed after the Rumion. The xD came after the IST. The tC is a standalone to fill the gap the Celica left behind (many of the tC2 owners I've spoke to owned/wanted a Celica). Was the Celica available in Thailand (sorry, I'm unfamiliar with what's available in your market).
As far as I know, and I've double and triple checked now, the Rumion was simultaneously released with the Scion xB in 2007 as a 2008 model. And yes, the IST existed before the xD, as it was the xA. However, the second generation IST was not released until after the xD hit the market. . .

And in terms of out market, we can get anything JDM here, it doesn't matter. The main thing is that we are RHD, so are limited to RHD cars. Imported cars are heavily taxed here, but if you have money, it's not a problem.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 1stOne
Remember, the North American mindset is that we want it all for nothing. Well...this is your result. "Ask and you shall receive". Want to complain cars cost too much? This is what you get, cars that are de-spec'd to keep costs down.
The socket, bulb, and wiring to fit inside an existing light housing hole can't cost more than $1, manufacturer's cost. So what's sales like for one year? Sales peaked in 2008 at approximately 41,000 units. . . so they saved $41,000. . . be generous, double it, and call it $81k. Wow, amazing cost savings!!!!! $81K (for a global manufacturing company) is sooooooooo worth angering a lot of actual and potential customers. Don't they spend more than that on advertising? Isn't it a SIX FIGURE number? The auto up/down windows? It's just a relay. . . can't be more than a few bucks. It's not like the tC is a high volume car like the Corolla.

The most expensive part of car production is the R/D and factory retooling. Often times, stupid options de-contenting is actually a revenue generation method to make you purchase expensive options packages, higher trim levels, or a higher spec'd luxury mark.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The plastic engine cover should not be a complaint. Its something so insignificant. Plus a majority of owners remove it. They took away the glass wind splitter because people were having trouble with it and it can easily be broken with a rock chip. As for the A-pillar black out tape...I really don't see whats the problem you guys have with that. If you don't like it, remove it.

The biggest complaint I have is the ugly rear and the circle vent. The circle vent is in my opinion the second biggest eye sore in the car. Its simply so out of placed. First is the retarded side speakers.

You should ask the chief why he didn't go for F/I. Even Nissan was able to come out with an 1.6L turbo AWD (Juke) for around the same price as the tc2. Scion has failed us again. I don't care if they didn't target this car for the previous owners. Their lack of effort to satisfy the community will result in their end.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just ordered my first TC. Always had American cars before. Although I only test drove it about 10 minutes and don't have it yet, here a a couple things I did not like. I will avoid stuff already mentioned (like the 1 reverse light).

I think a cargo cover should be standard. Since the car has no trunk, I should be able to hide my stuff. I tried to get one as an option, but they said it is not available yet.

Steering feels real dead. Can't they get it to give some feedback?

How about adding a performance package option like the 2011 mustang v6? It could come with steeper gears, exhaust upgrade, adjustable coil overs, etc. I would buy it.

I would like to see more color choices. How about a burnt orange, a yellow, a deep purple, and maybe a green like the fiesta has? I also like the Mango the new wrangler has. The car is marketed to young people, I think some wild colors would sell.

Quick Reply: tC2 Chief Engineer coming by in a few weeks: Thoughts to communicate to him?