Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

TRD Exhaust being illegal, Toyota Refuse to Testify in a cour of Law Help!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 PM

Default TRD Exhaust being illegal, Toyota Refuse to Testify in a cour of Law Help!

Hi, I bought a Scion tC RS7.0 on october 2012. I purchased and installed a TRD exhaust system on january 2013 from my dealership which is Toyota montreal nord. (Note that ‪#‎TRD‬ exhaust is label legal according to Canadian Traffic Law) I've been fined by Montreal Police Department for illegal exhaust system. I requested a letter from Toyota/Scion to testify that the exhaust is legal and I brought the matter to the court of law. Judge requires a witness from Toyota Canada/ Scion Canada to testify. However, after discussing the matter with Toyota/Scion, I was informed that legal department cannot send such witness in front of court. Why would you guys sell such product if you are not willing to defend your customer in case such thing happens.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you also have a header? I'm surprised a cop would even ticket you for TRD exhaust.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 AM

Nop, everything mods are from TRD. Air Intake, Lowering Spring and Exhaust system. They are all TRD. so stock header.

Cop's reasoning: TRD means Toyota Racing Development so it's made for race and it's illegal.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's retarded. Technically en exhaust mods are legal in canada as long as you have a catalytic converter and no cel.

I don't get it. It's not even an exhaust system really. I wouldn't call it that. It's a muffler. It makes sound. No horsepower is gained from axle back. Take some pedals that say racing on them to court and ask if those are illegal.

Last edited by HOODedDutchman; 06-20-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:29 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess it's different in Canada, cause in Cali if any contest a mod that is actually approved by the manufacturer....a professional/official letter is sufficient and not an actually person.

I do see Toyota's stance on it however, it would be expensive and a waste of time for them to have staff go out to court each time this happens. In which case your SOL, sorry.

With that said, read the fine print on the mods. I've never looked into TRD as much since I know/accept they have done the research and the spend the extra dollars to make this CARB legal. But I know other mods from other manufacturers who don't spend the extra research and money on such label all their packaging with "off-road use only" which means they can sell it to anybody and the buyer then assumes responsibility of having the mod on their car during on-road or off-road use...keeping the manufacturer off the hook for such events like this

...oh and that cop was probably a dick looking for tickets.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
I guess it's different in Canada, cause in Cali if any contest a mod that is actually approved by the manufacturer....a professional/official letter is sufficient and not an actually person.

I do see Toyota's stance on it however, it would be expensive and a waste of time for them to have staff go out to court each time this happens. In which case your SOL, sorry.

With that said, read the fine print on the mods. I've never looked into TRD as much since I know/accept they have done the research and the spend the extra dollars to make this CARB legal. But I know other mods from other manufacturers who don't spend the extra research and money on such label all their packaging with "off-road use only" which means they can sell it to anybody and the buyer then assumes responsibility of having the mod on their car during on-road or off-road use...keeping the manufacturer off the hook for such events like this

...oh and that cop was probably a dick looking for tickets.
CARB is only in California...Duh lol.

I think you should just let them know that you can buy TRD parts, or cars that have TRD packages (several parts on your RS are TRD). Ask them why is it legal for Toyota to sell non-street legal cars? Hell, half the tacoma's and Tundra's have a 1' long TRD sticker on the back of the bed, does this cop spend all of his time pulling over these vehicles?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:38 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i never knew what CARB meant lol...i just know Toyota does the extra stuff to make their stuff legit

I would have told the cop from the begining "it's not a mod, it came like that" and stick to that story the whole time. Push that it's all stock/factory (cause technically it is factory). I mean the stock exhuast is "sports tuned" and louder than the average economy car tailpipe already.

I've gotten out of tickets by being confident and insisting whatever mod they are questioning to be like that from factory/dealership. Most cops don't know all the different options a specific car has, especially scions which have a smaller market and is known for have a lot of options. Gotta have your poker face and hope they don't call your bluff. But their confused facial expression is awesome if they actually believe you
Old 06-20-2014, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, california air resource board I believe

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2014, 05:31 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought it was carbohydrates
Old 06-24-2014, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PieceofCake
Nop, everything mods are from TRD. Air Intake, Lowering Spring and Exhaust system. They are all TRD. so stock header.

Cop's reasoning: TRD means Toyota Racing Development so it's made for race and it's illegal.
That's a dumb reason from the Cop makes me wonder if he pulled over FR-S owners with TRD Exhausts.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:24 PM
SL Member

The TRD is not illegal in Canada. However, it should be illegal for a cop to issue such dump statement.