Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Weapon R i-Throttle controller

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it works fine for my car why would they say it doesn't???
Old 02-17-2012, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump, any update? i was looking at the sprintbooster but this is much more affordable

and any link to the product cant find twp on ebay and maby we just need to match the harness with the toyota engine model?

Last edited by Errikos; 02-17-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Weapon R Throttle controller

So I bought the Weapon R Throttle controller and I am keeping my fingers crossed because I bought the harness for the 350z. I think Atomic has the controller on his voltage and if I remember right that harness is the same for the 2011 and up tC. Anyone know anything else on this?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Errikos
bump, any update? i was looking at the sprintbooster but this is much more affordable

and any link to the product cant find twp on ebay and maby we just need to match the harness with the toyota engine model?
Atomic told me that he used the harness for the 350Z. I just bought it and I will let you know when it comes in. I got mine off Amazon, both the unit and the harness shipped was about 150.00
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks looking forward to the update!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you really believe that the "lag" is in the ECU or the signal from the pedal to the ECU ... and you really believe that something in between can somehow speed up the program in the ECU and/or increase the speed of electrons through a conductor, then they really have done a good selling job ... or every person building logic that sends and receives data and processes it should be paying these guys money for making magic. No delay in the program or signal propagation path can be removed by adding another device in between anything. It doesnt work that way.

IF the lag were in the ECU then the cause would be a product of the number of clock cycles required by the control loop and the clock speed of the ECU (if it takes you 1 sec do do a task, and it takes 5 tasks to perform a function, for a simple human example, then the function takes you 5 sec. Same concept). No external piece of electronics will change that unless it speeds up the clock in the ECU (Which is not the case here). If the lag were in the signal propogation you would a) not feel it because it would be in millionths of a second over this distance and b) could not be fixed by this device because you would have to change the laws of physics regarding the speed of electrons through a medium. And if this device has any digital logic in it, then it is ADDING delay in the system, because every step of logic takes clock cycles to complete. However, as in the ECU, this is going to be so small you could never notice it.

All this does is make you seem to notice the effects of heavy rotating mass less by exaggerating the input from the pedal to the ECU. It is not removing any lag whatsoever. IF you think it makes you notice anything less or makes you think you have fixed something, that is great.

If they can remove steps and processing time or propagation delay by adding yet another step in the process, then maybe I should be taking their groundbreaking engineers to work with me so we can be the richest people in the world

And I know I will get a bunch of experts telling me they can feel something, but I have spent a good amount of time around control systems, have designed sensing and processing systems, etc. I understand the limitations of doing something like this, so unless you can explain how the things I have mentioned are done, then the argument means nothing.

Like I said, this exaggerates the input you provide to the ECU (as if you pressed the pedal much further and much faster yourself) to make the response feel better to you. IF that works for you great, but the millions of conversations about the lag and the fix are simply wrong as they always have been.

IF you have decent ears, you can press the pedal and hear the throttle body open (due to the sound of the intake air) immediately. The length of travel of the charge and the large rotating mass of the internals and flywheel together make the response slower than you are wanting. But that does not equal a "lag" in the system that another piece of electronics is fixing.

Last edited by engifineer; 03-01-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

plug it in and unleash the power.....
Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh, at 150.00 i dont really care, I can sell it on ebay if its no good. I do drive in a lot of traffic and im curious what the eco settings do just as much as the sport settings. plus its gotta do something if it has 14 settings or whatever they claim right?

snake oil or not, im in
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, so I finally got my throttle controller, but the harness for the 05-10 tc, xb and Nissan 350z(part number 656-112-103) doesn't' fit the 2011 tC.

So I spoke to Weapon R and they said that I would need the 656-112-102. This has been confirmed to work with the tC and is probably what Atomic is using on his.

Now I have to send this one back, but I thought I would fill you guys in who were on the fence about it fitting properly
Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, man.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

got my harness yesterday. It was the 656-112-102 and that is the correct harness for the 2011+ tc. Installation was a snap and took all of 5 minutes. This thing is pretty nice for the money.

The controller has economy, normal and sport modes, all of which you can switch back and forth while driving. I haven't gotten a chance to test it out on the freeway to see if economy does anything, I got my MPG up to about 24 or 25 in the city, which is pretty standard, I might have gotten 1 or 2 MPG less before, but that makes you feel like a granny. I think at economy mode 7, you can press down all the way and only get about 30 or 40% throttle.

Sport mode is very noticeable and I have to retrain my brain how to shift smooth again because you can really feel the difference. It almost feels like you are getting 110% throttle and your only pushing the pedal down halfway. This is awesome for rev matching on your downshifts, it makes it soooooo much smoother. I don't drive it on the highest mode of sport because it seems like its too much, 7 seems to be plenty.

Lastly, when in economy mode, you can almost let the clutch out and go right into an idle and you can move much smoother at lower rpms before it feels like it will stall (i.e. traffic on the freeway).

I think for 150.00, but this a pretty cool mod, I will take some pics later, installation can be made to look pretty clean an unnoticeable.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the update sounds like its worth the 150$
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id say so. I just drove on the freeway and averaged about 35 mpg for the 30 mile trip.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice...... Did you hook up the wire to your brake pedal?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by disaster06
Id say so. I just drove on the freeway and averaged about 35 mpg for the 30 mile trip.
i can average 36-40 mpg easily on a 2011 tC.. WITHOUT those thingamajigs..

it's kinda a waste of money really.. unless you really have a lead foot you can't learn to control... at that point.. that's really an issue you should learn to fix instead of getting a crutch.

having a light foot on the gas pedal is a skill that in my honest opinion.. takes a lot more time and patience to hone in.. vs. having a heavy one. it takes a lot more concentration for me to hypermile in a vehicle than focusing on driving fast and avoiding obstacles/traffic/stupid people...

because avoiding stupid people while hypermiling is a WHOLE different level.

as engifineer said.. it's really all in your head and i'll add it's really what driving skills a person possesses...

such a device set in "economy" mode.. would be completely useless and a hindrance for me. indeed it's a training tool.. but it also prevents you from flooring the throttle in emergencies when you actually need to accelerate.

you wouldn't be able to pay me to install one of those things in my car.. and i'll take on any mileage challenge any day against a person with one.

(now.. on the other hand, if the car was built with an "eco button" which performs in a similar manner... the only difference is the car's ecu will recognize your need to accelerate if you floor it and will provide that necessary acceleration, whereas a unit such as this most times won't)

in the very end.... what i'm trying to say is... it's not worth it... and trying to save someone from spending the money to purchase one if they're thinking about it... if you already did.. and you can't sell or get a refund.. then oh well.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess until you try it, you won't know. It also gives a huge change in sensitivity on the pedal in power mode. But this thread is more for people who are interested in it, if you don't like it, that's fine, but don't bash it
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And no, I didn't hook up the wire to the brake pedal atomic, did you?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I guess until you try it, you won't know. It also gives a huge change in sensitivity on the pedal in power mode.
i've tried it. i know.

i don't see much point in it except changing the sensitivity with it in power mode.. but at the very end, what it boils down to... is pretty much me telling people..

learn how to drive..

(more modern driving aids like VSC, ABS.. all that stuff.. sure... that's something that most people will take too long to learn how to drive without those aids being built into the car itself.. but a throttle controller? um.. no.. that's just a "just for fun" device that warrants money better spent elsewhere)
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To each their own. One of those benefits of living in america I guess
Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And no, I didn't hook up the wire to the brake pedal atomic, did you?
no i didn't yet. i'm going to hard wire it all in sometime soon.

Quick Reply: Weapon R i-Throttle controller