Why speeding is good for your life

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Why speeding is good for your life

This is not a suggestion rather interesting way to look at it

Lets use economics and math to prove that reasonable speeding is always good(assuming stop free ride, one speed limit, 0 chance of having an accident and getting a speeding ticket since it increases the overall cost, and no increase in pollution):

On average it is know that 55mph is the most optimal speed for the best MPG
With every 10mph over the 55 you lose 1-2 MPG, after 90mph it all depends on a car.

So lets assume a scenario with 50mph being the best MPG speed:

You have a trip that's 50 miles long and the speed limit on that road is 50mph.
Time = 50/50 = 1 hour

It will take you 1 hour to get to your destination.

Now if you speed and drive 60 mph:
Time = 50/60 = 0.833 hours = 50 minutes

It will take you 50 minutes to get to your destination, you just saved 10 minutes!

MPG and cost:

Assume gas price $4/gallon
So lets use Scion's 31mpg spec on highway if you drive at the optimal speed of 50mph

Gallons = 50/31 = 1.61 gallons
Cost = $6.44

Now if we speed then we lose 1-2mpg, so lets assume 29mpg if you drive 60mph

Gallons = 50/29 = 1.72 gallons
Cost = $6.90

So you paid 46 cents (6.9-6.44) to arrive 10 minutes early!

The questions is, if the 10 minutes is worth it:

So lets use economics and opportunity cost to show that it clearly does:

In NH the minimum wage is $7.5/hour so if you work for 10 minutes you will earn $1.25

SOOOOOO: you gained 79 cents(1.25-0.46)!!!

Most people make more than $7.5/hour and therefore will "make"/"save" even more money by speeding.

However personal enjoyment of something may be worth much much more than $7.5/hour

So if you enjoy playing sports/hanging out with friends/girlfriend and would value that time at $50/hours then by getting to do that activity for 10 more minutes is def worth it!

Assuming your job is 50 miles: every day u save 20min and that's 400 minutes a month! which is 6 hours and 40 minutes to either earn money or do something other than inevitable driving.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol
I love math
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the title should be "why speeding is good for your wallet"
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XerotC
the title should be "why speeding is good for your wallet"
well good wallet makes a good life haha
Old 06-10-2011, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

and who doesn't like to feel the rush of wind in your face with the windows down and sunroof up???
Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i like that equation. ++
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

You forget to add in the cost of getting pulled over by a cop. If you add in the cost of the ticket, insurance premium going up, and the time that it would take the cop to fill out the ticket, it wouldn't really be worth it. Depending on the probability of being caught, that would affect the results of how much you would save or lose.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This leaves out so many important variables.
It just doesn't work in real life if we have to pretend no undesirable variables exist.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, i like this. as they said just before me. my speeding has led to numerous tickets, but thats from extreme speed. within 10 mph over a 50 mph speedlimit is more than reasonable, especially if traveling in a pack.

i determine this to be 100% accurate and unable to be disproven. you sir should submit this for the field's medal.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by silversurfer897
You forget to add in the cost of getting pulled over by a cop. If you add in the cost of the ticket, insurance premium going up, and the time that it would take the cop to fill out the ticket, it wouldn't really be worth it. Depending on the probability of being caught, that would affect the results of how much you would save or lose.

I mentioned that i dont count in being pulled over. I've been driving 7 years 10mph over the speed limit and never got pulled over. So the probability is virtually 0. plus you'd slow down by 2-3 mph as you approach a police car if it's visible.

Plus this applies to highways only
The only 100% inevitable cost is the increased pollution.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i like the way you think
Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

BUMP
Old 11-22-2011, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

I couldn't stop giggling while reading this textbook theory and its algebraic reinforcement
love it

Originally Posted by silversurfer897

I'd like to add in my own theory in response to the probability to getting pulled over..
You control the probability 95% of the time.
If you have a M/T you have an edge at this.
But I look at it like: Trespassing into illegal velocity is like leading off a base in baseball. You want/need that margin for whatever reason but don't wanna get caught. You gauge the risk and decide how many steps your going to stance before setting reflexes to standby. With this getting back to the base isn't like diving back because you can't jack on the brakes too hard or the officer will see your front end dip and know you stepped on the brakes in guilty panic. Then they will bluff you. So I color code the risk in how difficult it is to get back to base (or at least 5 mph over which is Green to me) without excessive brake force.

-Risk varies with location.
-Distance from the base is measured in color.

A key to future reference the MPH above limit:
------------------------
5 mph = Green
10 mph = Yellow
15 mph = Red
------------------------

5 mph over is Green as I know of no police officers who will pull you for 5 over. 10 mph is Yellow because its a toss up to variables like the attitude of the officer(i.e- how they view you) and overseeing local government(i.e- how strict of standards).
15 mph is Red because you a have a high probability of getting pulled.

Of course an officer has to Tag you. <This = Line of Sight [With exception to Sky monitoring: so if you have aircraft scanning your highways then this does not apply to you] Highways are usually the limit to sky monitoring.

So the risk on being Tag'd falls to location at this point.

If you do not know a location at all; then stay Green.

But generally.. speed detection devices have an average range of 800 - 1000 ft.. Not huge, but you can find yourself in these cross hairs in an unrealized moment. So the location changes these risks by having many inlets, parking lots, recessed tree-lines etc.. Remember they need Line of Sight meaning if they are out of sight so are you [with exception to you didn't notice them, so hands off that cell phone and keep one eye on the rear view]
When the road straightens out in the daylight and I can clearly see the hiding spots or the lack thereof then standards loosen.

I could go on all night about little strategies I've developed in my life experience.. but in a nutshell this is My Theory to how you manage the Probability of getting pulled.

Last edited by TC-Maverick; 11-22-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

or get special license plates
Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

9 your fine 10 your mine!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just following a Mercedes AMG for about 15 miles on i84 weaving in and out pf traffic going between 70 and 110 in 5th gear in medium traffic... without really shifting. Anyone who says our cars aren't fast enough it fun to drive is buggin. This car doesn't need more power unless ur constantly lugging more than 1 other person around. I definetly subscribe to upgrading suspension stuff and tires way before thinking about power... just my thoughts after speeding recklessly on the highway this morning
Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice! Only time I have ever been pulled over and recieved a ticket is going more than 10 mph over posted speed limit! I would say your chances are good for avoiding tickets at that speed.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah...that all sounds GREAT. Until you:

1)Get into an accident that can be directly linked to your speed.
2)Get a $300 ticket for trying to get somewhere 10 min early.

Its easy to say"lets look at this situation WITHOUT the possibility of getting a ticket, or getting into an accident"...but those two things are the exact reason most of us DON'T speed. They are real consequences, and they both happen.

Neat math though :D

NOTE: Just because you have gone a very long time without getting pulled over, saying it will "never happen to you" is a VERY silly statement. You are not invincible, or invisible to the police. :D
Old 11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
yeah...that all sounds GREAT. Until you:

1)Get into an accident that can be directly linked to your speed.
2)Get a $300 ticket for trying to get somewhere 10 min early.

Its easy to say"lets look at this situation WITHOUT the possibility of getting a ticket, or getting into an accident"...but those two things are the exact reason most of us DON'T speed. They are real consequences, and they both happen.

Neat math though :D

NOTE: Just because you have gone a very long time without getting pulled over, saying it will "never happen to you" is a VERY silly statement. You are not invincible, or invisible to the police. :D
I guess there should have been a disclaimer. If you are not qualified to handle a vehicle at speed then don't.

Did I miss someone saying they never will get pulled? Are you referring to me? I have been blessed to only have been pulled very few times.. I'd like to think I learned from my mistakes that got me caught. Be Good, or Be Good At It.

Handling a vehicle at excessive speed takes a a lot of focus on a number of things. Mainly "Who can potentially get in my way or where can a cop be"
An accident requires either loss of control or someone else pulling in front or crashing into your car. If you are speeding you drastically reduce your chances of getting rear ended. Traveling faster than others also reduces the need to pay attention to 360 degrees down to the forward 180. Going faster requires the acknowledgement of longer stop time and to be extra alert for entering traffic. Also passing other cars in excess of 10mph over limit is risky as you don't want someone to change lanes without noticing you.

Bottom line if you use your head and eyes.. you can see things coming.
If visibility is low then keep the speed the same.
Simple.

I mean cop cars and civilian cars cant just jump out of the trees.. so if something happens either someone wasn't paying attention or someone was going too fast to control their car.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion202
I mentioned that i dont count in being pulled over. I've been driving 7 years 10mph over the speed limit and never got pulled over. So the probability is virtually 0.
Sorry, that's what I was referring to.

I'm not claiming to be a saint here, but I just don't see the justification. Every time someone flies past me on the interstate, they end up slamming on their brakes as "grandpa" hops into the fast lane and putts along.

Then the fast driver gets angry, rides his a$$ until he moves, and flies off. It inevitably happens again, and I usually pull up right next to them as I come to the stoplight at my exit.

IMO, I completely understand the idea of saving time, but you forget to factor in fighting traffic. I generally get there within 30 seconds of the person who was going 80-85 the whole time (if they take the same exit I do, I usually meet them at the traffic light), and I go 70 on the interstate.

Its like Clarkson says "slower IS faster!"

One other thing...you can be the most attentive driver in the world...but when the car to your right (which, you would assume would stay in their lane unless they used their blinker), begins to come into your lane while texting, and there is a car to your left (and one tailing you because they want to speed as well)....well....it doesn't really matter how good of a driver you are.

Please understand, I am simply playing devils advocate in this situation. I have sped many times myself, and will sometimes go 75-80 in a 70. I have just learned many lessons 'the hard way', and realized that my safety isn't only dependent on MY driving skills, but on the skills of everyone else on the road as well.

Also, I'm confused what kind of qualification you refer to for driving a car at speed? Do you need to have done a certain number of SCCA events, or is it just a conclusion everyone draws for themselves?

As for ignoring the two reasons most people don't speed in this argument (increased risk of an accident and tickets), lets apply that to a different situation.

"why shooting people who cut you off is good for you". Ignore the whole "going to jail thing", and all it achieves is to make you feel SOOO much better.

If you ignore the consequences of a given action, you could justify just about anything...

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 11-22-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Why speeding is good for your life