Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Aftermarkey Struts/shocks Option

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Aftermarkey Struts/shocks Option

Ok... so as far as I know, there are currently no aftermarket "performance" shock options for the TC2. .. IE. KONI, KYB, etc.

Is there anything we can do as a group to get these companies to R&D some performance shocks for TC2s???

My car is a daily driver, I've done coilovers on my previous vehicles before and they are $$$$$$ and are not daily driver friendly. I currently have TRD Springs and love the look, feel, and the handling it does for the TC2, however, the shocks aren't good enough. If I could pair an aftermarket performance shock with the TRD Springs, this car would be absolutely amazing.

I'm not going to get "cheap" coilovers for the car. (1) I drive 50+ miles/day, (2) I dont need to lower the car to the floor, (3) IMO it makes no sense to have setups you don't need or use. If I'm going to go to the track and put on R-Compounds I'll be shelling out $2k+ in a heartbeat. However, I drive on the street with bumps, take turns and off ramps spiritedly from time to time and maybe hit the "touge"/backroads on the weekends... so TRD springs are awesome and it would be even better paired with proper shocks.

thoughts?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea it would be. I called Eibach and they said that they figure shocks/struts last at least 80k-100k miles so no need to start development just yet. WTF!?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by disaster06
Yea it would be. I called Eibach and they said that they figure shocks/struts last at least 80k-100k miles so no need to start development just yet. WTF!?
LMAO!!! WTF indeed... there is a big difference in a stock shock vs an aftermarket aggressive shock... TRD springs work great with stock shocks but it does leave more to be desired.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know what your saying. Buy some of the to performance braces. Makes a big difference. My favorites are trunk and c pillar brace.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:43 AM
SL Member

VuDism I am totally with you on that one

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-09-2013, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I been against the fence whether or not to buy TRD red springs and use them on stock shocks. I want to avoid camber issues
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KILLER
I been against the fence whether or not to buy TRD red springs and use them on stock shocks. I want to avoid camber issues
It really does not mater what springs you use for the rear camber issue, even on the factory springs it's been all over the TC 2 forums that the factory spec is a extremely poor handling car from ____ pore aliment.....
From the factory you only have toe adjustment and our car as delivered had LR 0.37 toe out, 2.7 camber. RR 0.15 toe out, 1.9 camber. RF 6.0 caster, 0.25 toe in, 0.7 camber. LF 4.7 caster, 0.35 toe in, 0.0 camber....
And all this is well with in the fasctoy tolerance!!!! It makes a very ill handling car over any bump and you have a tire eating machine.
We installed TRD springs with new rims and much larger tires (255/40) tires and doing so made a ill handling car down right sick and close to unsafe over bumps.
I can't even think how the coil over guys who have them real low do it ???
Camber is not as hard on the tires as much as extreme toe, but that being said the closer to 0 camber and toe are going down the road the better the fuel and tire wear like it !
Now living in the real world with turns and city driving and rubber bushing on the car we have to induce a hint of toe + front and - rear to take up the rubber flex and up to 1 deg camber front and rear because we all make turns and how fast we do it !
So don't worry about the springs as much as you think just get the aliment after and hope RUCA's are on the market to remove as much camber as you want!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you for the info. noisy1. Do you by any chance know if the ride quality gets worse?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

With any lowering springs you will have a slight increase in stiffness and that increases has a ratio to how low they go to stop the car from bottoming out!

With the TRD springs we installed it was like a 10 to 15 % increase in stiffness and it seamed like that again when we installed the sway bars..
Tires and higher pressure you run them at will give you a sharp feeling going over bumps like lowering springs!!!

If your a daily driver and want better handling 1" from the TRD or Eibach with sway bars combined with good tires and proper offset rims transforms the car into something really fun...

Oh yes get a proper aliment done!!!! Any aliment shop have shim kits that they can use to get rid of the excessive rear camber..... You will just be paying $$$$ for the labour to install them.....
Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well... forget that 80k mile life of a strut... mine just blew out with eibach pro kits... and im at 34k miles....
Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member

With the launch of the new tc they claim that they redid the struts. Maybe they might be slightly better that what we currently have on our car? I can have the full TRD suspension set-up and springs hitting the slightest bump while in the middle of the turn really throws this car of track. Couple that with the vague steering you really have no idea where your front wheels are.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RattleInTheHatch
With the launch of the new tc they claim that they redid the struts. Maybe they might be slightly better that what we currently have on our car? I can have the full TRD suspension set-up and springs hitting the slightest bump while in the middle of the turn really throws this car of track. Couple that with the vague steering you really have no idea where your front wheels are.
Its actually isn't too bad and very comparable to my 08 STi. I think it handles very well compared to my STi and 350z. The lighter weight makes it very toss-able. If we can get a good set of shocks to pair with the TRD springs it would be sick. My car is DD so coilovers are overkill unless I want to slam the car which I dont

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RattleInTheHatch
Well after having our car since oct 1/10, installing TRD springs and stress bar from the states while there for Christmas that year. We have wished for better dampeners and after installing the sway bars front and rear just made us longing for them even more!
Your car quirks in the turn or over bumps may and do have a lot to do with the ____ pore factory aliment and the extremely large range that Scion(Toyota) has given to be with in speck....

There is countless threads on the factory ailments people have had stock and after reading them you wonder how some of the cars stayed on the road over bumps and didn't eat the tires off by 30k and ours was one of them!

We can say with stress bar, springs, sway bars, lighter wheels, 255/40 sport rubber the car was still extremely twitchy over bumps and train tracks and like you say vague with stearing wheel inputs, you never felt connected to the road even with good parts and money spent.

We had a proper aliment done on the car for real world driving not track or with in factory speck and now this little car is fun to drive like it should of been out of the showroom!!!

With Tokico being the factory shock supplier I would hope they are working on a nice replacment since they have all the measurements ... Now that we have car to drive not a chuck wagon like befor the TRD spring stiffness really could use Adjustibal dampeners !!!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

soo... with that being said... where can I go to buy the OEM shocks since thats my only option? also, do you guys think that i will need to replace other things like bushings and such?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have almost 55k on my car and the stock shocks are just fine. I'm on sportline springs...
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i finally just buckled down and took everything apart... looks fine... but still cant figure out the clunking... has there been anything reported that can come loose?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hunterovarmy
well... forget that 80k mile life of a strut... mine just blew out with eibach pro kits... and im at 34k miles....
Contact Eibach! I called them and the idiot who answered the phone said they had no plans currently because they figured struts should last 100,000 miles! WTF! Even Monroe says 50k haha
Old 07-23-2013, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That being said I drove my car off a curb on accident and I currently have 54k miles on the factory struts with eibach pro-kit springs
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member

Someone should start a petition to Scion to help push for parts company to make more parts for this car. I feel abandoned not having owned my Scion tC for that long. I think there's a wrong stereotype out there that Scion owners don't want to pay good money for parts. The issue right now is there are no good parts for our money!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
lol it's not a wrong stereotype. it's true for the most part. 9 times out of 10 when I see another tC2 on the road, it's some blonde girl driving it while texting on her bedazzled cell phone.

companies don't make many parts for this car because the leading demographic for this car is not going to be interested in their parts.

Quick Reply: Aftermarkey Struts/shocks Option