Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Front Camber Adjustment Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Front Camber Adjustment Bolts

Camber adjustment bolts are now available for the Gen 2 from Specialty Products Company..they are $46.37 though.

They have a camber adjustment range of -1.75 through +1.75 degrees.

This is one of the best handling improvements you can make on your car...but you need to find a shop that will adjust your camber to 0.00 degrees and not just to the OEM specs. That usually costs extra, but well worth it!

http://www.spcalignment.com/componen...AFrom&to=USATo
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn I still need the rears. I got my camber where I wanted up front but its way off in the rear :/
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
Camber adjustment bolts are now available for the Gen 2 from Specialty Products Company..they are $46.37 though.

They have a camber adjustment range of -1.75 through +1.75 degrees.

This is one of the best handling improvements you can make on your car...but you need to find a shop that will adjust your camber to 0.00 degrees and not just to the OEM specs. That usually costs extra, but well worth it!

http://www.spcalignment.com/componen...AFrom&to=USATo
You don't ever want 0 degrees of camber as the car will track really strange. Negative camber is a very good thing.

What you want is 0 degrees of toe with some negative camber.

I would love to get these bolts but like Papa_Bear, I'm waiting on rears myself.

Oh, and SPC bolts are the same as Eibach bolts. SPC makes them for Eibach, but sometimes the prices vary, so check with both before buying.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

Looking at the installation instructions for the TRD Lowering Springs, the wheel alignment data is included;

Lowering Spring
Part Number: PTR11-21100
Front:
Total Toe = 1.0 ± 2.0 mm (0.04 ± 0.08 in.)
Camber = -0°13' ± 45' (-0.22° ± 0.75°)
Rear:
Total Toe = 3 ± 2 mm (0.12 ± 0 .08 in.)
Camber = -2°0' ± 30' (-2.00° ± 0.50°)(Modified by TRD USA ) Note: camber is not adjustable

You can go anywhere from -0.97° to +0.53° and still be within spec on the front...
Your statement is not accurate and not founded.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

I assure you that I am not foreign to vehicle alignment settings. I can also assure you that while 0 camber may be ideal for tire wear, it is not ideal for any sort of performance driving.

Think of it this way, you have tire wear and driving performance. As you lean towards one, you lose the other. At 0 camber, driving performance is gone.

And by performance I don't mean racing. Every car comes from factory with camber for a reason. Its like riding a bike. When your riding and go to turn, do you not lean a little to ease in the turn or do you keep the bike perfectly upright and turn only the handle bars? Doing the later is like having 0 camber or positive camber in the car. Steering is light, but turning ability sucks.

To each his own. Your car has factory camber now, so if you plan to correct it to nothing, then what's the point in lowering it? Clearly not for enjoyment of the drive...
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Banned
SL Member

Did you even read the article that you posted a link to? The whole discussion on camber is how to keep the tire upright for maximum grip in a corner...
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Banned
SL Member

1stOne...this car is for you...
Old 03-24-2011, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
Did you even read the article that you posted a link to? The whole discussion on camber is how to keep the tire upright for maximum grip in a corner...
Whoa, your getting defensive over something you claim to know like the back of your hand...

Did you even read the article?

Different driving styles can also influence the desired camber angle as well. An enthusiastic driver who corners faster than a reserved driver will receive more cornering grip and longer tire life from a tire aligned with more negative camber.
The goal is to use enough negative camber to provide good cornering performance while not requiring the tire to put too much of its load on the inner edge while traveling in a straight line. Less negative camber (until the tire is perpendicular to the road at zero camber) typically will reduce the cornering ability, but results in more even wear.
Doesn't seem to me that the discussion on camber is to keep the tire upright for increased grip nor does it mention to have your alignment set at 0 degree.

You do know your suspension "loads" right? In a turn, weight is transferred to the outside corner of the vehicle. As the weight transfers, the suspension articulates. With negative camber, as the vehicle loads, the vehicle will "stand" on the tire utilizing the entire contact patch. With positive camber, it will already be past this point before it begins to load. At 0 camber, it will exceed the maximum contact patch as soon as weight begins to transfer.

Don't believe me, grab yourself a pyrometer and go out driving around mildly aggressive in the turns. Immediately after taking a turn, get out and use the pyrometer on the inside, middle, and outside of the face of the tread on your tires; more specifically your front tires. You'll find that with a little negative camber, the middle of your tires will likely be the hottest point. With 0 camber, the hottest point will be the outside of the tire. Too much negative camber and the inside of your tire will be the hottest. This shows what portion of the tire is being used most during driving.

Again, believe whatever you want. All I'm saying is that in a street car application, 0 camber is not good. For those looking to add or remove negative camber, they should understand how much negative they must have in order for the car to perform properly. Cars are engineered this way for a reason.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
Whoa, your getting defensive over something you claim to know like the back of your hand...

Did you even read the article?

Doesn't seem to me that the discussion on camber is to keep the tire upright for increased grip nor does it mention to have your alignment set at 0 degree.

You do know your suspension "loads" right? In a turn, weight is transferred to the outside corner of the vehicle. As the weight transfers, the suspension articulates. With negative camber, as the vehicle loads, the vehicle will "stand" on the tire utilizing the entire contact patch. With positive camber, it will already be past this point before it begins to load. At 0 camber, it will exceed the maximum contact patch as soon as weight begins to transfer.

Don't believe me, grab yourself a pyrometer and go out driving around mildly aggressive in the turns. Immediately after taking a turn, get out and use the pyrometer on the inside, middle, and outside of the face of the tread on your tires; more specifically your front tires. You'll find that with a little negative camber, the middle of your tires will likely be the hottest point. With 0 camber, the hottest point will be the outside of the tire. Too much negative camber and the inside of your tire will be the hottest. This shows what portion of the tire is being used most during driving.

Again, believe whatever you want. All I'm saying is that in a street car application, 0 camber is not good. For those looking to add or remove negative camber, they should understand how much negative they must have in order for the car to perform properly. Cars are engineered this way for a reason.
PWND!! Well put. I am glad you pointed out that 0 degrees of camber is crap for corners and the article does to a pretty amazing job of proving your point!.... back in to stand by to watch the return. (enters peanut gallery)
Old 03-24-2011, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL. Not in to PWN, just to inform. I've been new to things before as well but everyone is here to learn.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
LOL. Not in to PWN, just to inform. I've been new to things before as well but everyone is here to learn.
Trust me I am in the exact same boat. The issue is can someone learn or be open to learning and not being ignorant or a know it all on this forum? not directing this towards anyone, just saying that people need to be more open minded on here. Too much negativity
Old 03-24-2011, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Agreed. I will openly admit that I don't know everything, so I spend my time reading and posting only when I feel I can share some knowledge. I myself have been down the alignment road and have helped setup multiple track setups for myself and others.

You can learn more from reading then you can from speaking.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a car to corner better, - camber is a must on all 4 tires period. Ask any racer from off road to on road. Due to the reasons mentioned above.
Toe out up front increases turn in response. Toe in on front end decreases turning response but increases straight line stability. Rear end, toe in increases rear end stability. Toe out on rear end is generally not recommended, you will just scrub speed and kill tires.
These are just a few things I learned from 1/8th scale R/C, which is just as technical as any other motor sport. 1 degree off/ 1 ounce of weight off can make or break you. If you are not familiar with r/c racing, trust me. It is not grown men playing with toys. SERIOUS POO!! LOL.. I could have paid cash for my TC2 with what I spent on R/C in just a few years. As always I am hear to learn so if there is any discrepancies between what I posted vs. auto racing please enlighten me. I love to learn new stuff!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol i like how you explained the article and he doesnt post anymore