Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Lexus IS250 front F-Sport BBK

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Ok, just trying to clear up any lingering thoughts about buying a BBK from any maker. The overall goal of a BBK is for consistent control, not for faster stopping.
Originally Posted by Scratch

Essentially for a daily driver the BBK will have minimal impact, however it will look hella sweet.

Well, not quite…for me, since I have such huge tires with such a large contact patch, I could not lock up or activate the ABS. Some people think that I have very heavy wheels (compared to the OEM wheels), but mine are actually lighter, and that is why I could not activate the ABS.

So, to be able to take full advantage of the huge tires I have, I went to the BBK. I did not go with the TRD BBK, because I didn’t think it would be enough for the wheels that I’ve got.

Now, define DD…How hard do you push it? Do you track the car? Do you plan to track the car? If your DD means “Driving Miss Daisy”, then you don’t.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

This is awesome, exactly what SL needs more of. People who arent afraid to try parts off other cars and be the first to attempt things.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2tCornot2tC
Now, define DD…How hard do you push it? Do you track the car? Do you plan to track the car? If your DD means “Driving Miss Daisy”, then you don’t.
I was going to look at AutoX, but due to my size and the fact I would need to install an aftermarket seat just to comfortably fit/drive on a course, I'm staying away from that path. No plans to run it on a real track either. Back and forth to work, some long road trips. Eventually plan to add some parts, probably no higher than N/A Stage 1 (Intake/Header/Exhaust) and possibly lighter wheels. However, this is all years down the road, and by that time I may just wait until the warranty expires and put a turbo on it.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Banned
SL Member

There are two reasons that I can think of for installing big brakes. My first reason was that I’ve already modified my car by putting on wide, sticky tires. That also leads to needing bigger brakes to be able to use the tires to their maximum performance.

And the second reason could best be described by a comparison. If we compare an OEM car with one with TRD brakes and both cars having identical tires and wheels. Both cars can have the OEM tires and wheels or the TRD wheels, but both the same. Both cars will stop in the same distance the first time. The second stop within a minute will probably be so close that it won’t make a difference. Now the third and subsequent stops are a whole other story. The guy with the TRD brakes will be able to keep on stopping in roughly the same distance as before and the guy with the OEM brakes, well his distances will keep climbing for a couple more stops until he gets brake fade and not able to stop at all.

Now if you put on even wider wheels and tires (like I have) than even the TRD wheels, you can corner faster and stop faster (I have not increased the HP of my engine yet, so I can’t accelerate faster yet) and therefore put even a bigger demand on your brakes. I didn’t think that the TRD BBK could handle the 255/35ZR19s that I have on my car. That is why I went for this F-Sport setup.

Here is lots of good information from the company that makes the TRD and F-Sport BBKs…check it out if you still want to learn…
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml
Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I have fallen in love with 2tCornot2tC... great explanations and makes sense. I'm savvy in physics and engineering, but I chose my path in commercial music (I also play in multiple bands and have my own project going for which I haven't had time for recently.) My goal is to be music coordinator for animated television and hopefully that will yield me great satisfaction from work and the money to pay for things like this! Keep up the great work!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Banned
SL Member

My special order bolts finally came in...titanium...

Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool. Now for the question... Why? I understand titanium is lighter and stronger than steel, but what are the tangible benefits?

Anyway, again, very nice job on the custom brakes.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

The bolts thread directly into the aluminum bracket…steel to aluminum has a very high galvanic reactivity, even if the bolts are cadmium plated. The salt that is spread during the winter here just makes it worse. Titanium to aluminum will not have galvanic reaction…it will never rust or corrode!

Oh...and thanks!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah, makes sense. I forget rust is an issue up north. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to often you get someone who thinks outside of the box and also has the "know-how" to back it up. You pulled this off flawlessly! Great job! You may have a market for this... it would be a small market because of pricing, but a market non the less. Again, great job. I may be needing your assistance on a project I am working on...
Old 09-10-2011, 05:16 PM
SL Member

I've seen titanium shims on other cars placed between the rotor and hub, bracket and knuckle, and caliper and pads to prevent heat transfer to the wheel bearing and the caliper. Have you considered this, 2tCornot2tC?

To those who may not know, titanium is very reluctant to transfer heat (thermal conductivity is 21.9 W/(m·K)) compared to steel (29 - 52), iron (46 - 79), and especially aluminum (120 - 180 for alloys). Stainless steel (12 - 45) is a potentially cheaper option depending on the grade, but I've never heard of it being used for this. That may be solely because people like how much more exotic titanium sounds and cost isn't a huge factor due to the small amount used.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoulShinobi
I've seen titanium shims on other cars placed between the rotor and hub, bracket and knuckle, and caliper and pads to prevent heat transfer to the wheel bearing and the caliper. Have you considered this, 2tCornot2tC?

To those who may not know, titanium is very reluctant to transfer heat (thermal conductivity is 21.9 W/(m·K)) compared to steel (29 - 52), iron (46 - 79), and especially aluminum (120 - 180 for alloys). Stainless steel (12 - 45) is a potentially cheaper option depending on the grade, but I've never heard of it being used for this. That may be solely because people like how much more exotic titanium sounds and cost isn't a huge factor due to the small amount used.
This is true…that is why disc brakes and flywheels aren’t made from titanium, although the low density makes it very attractive and specific strength allow you to reduce the weight even more. I’ve made titanium buttons for my motorcycles to hold the floating discs to the aluminum centers because they are loosely kept in place, while a shim is tightly compressed…and titanium is still a metal (free electrons) and will transfer heat when tightly installed. If I really needed a thermal insulator, there are much better materials than titanium for that purpose. I also wanted to use as many “standard” parts as possible. This is a “standard” Lexus IS250 brake kit…as a whole.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 PM
SL Member

I'm gonna be honest, it's hard to understand you because the italic serif makes me read it like it's the fleeting thoughts of an artist thoughtlessly whisked into his diary on a rainy afternoon.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lmao
Old 09-14-2011, 10:12 PM

wow! great write up!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

I’ve started a new thread for the rear BBK here https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208144 I've put a link on the first post for convenience also...
Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Banned
SL Member

As long as Jon is a moderator for this site 2tCornot2tC will not post here. As long as everyone feels that Jon brings more value to this site then 2tCornot2tC, then the status quo continues.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

we here not to witness wars, we here to learn and educate....
Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Banned
SL Member

Why would you want to share your hard work and knowledge just to be stepped on? How long would you stay if you got stepped on by the administration just for sharing your knowledge?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

LOL... So JJ, at work, are you the one getting stepped on, or the one stepping on others?

Jon doesnt make the rules, he simply enforces them... with that he is entitled to his opinion just as much as you are entitled to yours...
You have left plenty of threads where you use sarcasm to bash on someone else... whatever, its the internet... unless you are blatantly calling names I usually let it go... its no big deal, just live and let live my friend...

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 front F-Sport BBK