Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Lowering car without voiding factory warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Lowering car without voiding factory warranty.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum, although not new to the car scene. I just recently bought a 2012 tc base cement in color. I have been wanting to lower it for a while, and finally decided its time. I researched all the different options as far as springs for the car. Before having a Toyota, I've always driven Hondas. I have ran skunk2's on all of my civics, but on the 2nd gen TC is looks like tein s-tech's will give my car the best drop. Going further into researching it I find out that lowering my car will void my factory warranty.. Which I don't want to do for obvious reasons. So I called toyota and was told that if I order TRD springs through Toyota and have them installed by Toyota techs that my warranty will not be voided. So now I am looking at a possible insane parts and labor bill, but also not as much of a drop.

I am very disappointed and upset.

All I want is more low!

Any advice?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

WILL ADDING AFTER MARKET PRODUCTS
VOID MY WARRANTY?

NO!!

read more: http://trdsparks.com/warrant_after_market_products.html
^^and that is from a Toyota dealership in Myrtle Beach
Old 12-17-2012, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The website linked above doesn't issue any fine print pertaining specifically to Toyota Scion TC 2011-2013 warranties. It even states....

"unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure."

Therefore if we look at the actual source from Scion.com...
http://www.scion.com/assets/pdf/tc_w...ranty_2011.pdf

Under section 'NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY' page 13
"This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting directly or indirectly from any of the following:"
5th column down - "Alteration or tampering, including installation of non-Scion Authorized Accessories"
7th column down - "Installation of non-Scion Authorized Parts"

Under Section 'OWNER’S WARRANTY RESPONSIBILITIES' page 23
"You should also be aware that Scion may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications."

When it comes to filing a claim, it's best to have the actual evidence in hand to know what's allowed and what's not. Every dealership I've gone to says TRD 'modifications' done by them will maintain your warranty coverage.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I have seen the link that is posted.. With the Magnuson-Moss warranty info. I see where people are coming from going by that, but in the long run I don't see it being a good decision. As badly as I want to lower the car, it would be horrible to do it against "Toyota/scion guidelines" and risk not being covered for something big happening in the future.

I'm torn.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're skeptical about it, leave it alone. Drive your car until the warranty runs out, then mod it however you want. A suspension modification could affect the warranty on suspension components. It's not like if you have an engine failure they're going to blame it on lowering springs. But, for example, if a strut fails prematurely because the springs lowered the car more than what they deem reasonable, then yes they would try and prove it's your fault.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You 'could' replace the coilovers or springs with the stock before you send it in by tow truck LOL. That's if you are willing to go the extra effort this way they won't see the aftermarket part on the car when they diagnose it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM

I recently installed some Tein S Techs and now Im hearing a creaking noise from the front and back when I turn. I want to take it to the dealership to have them fix the noise but Im not sure if they will do it since it is a non-Scion Authorized Part or is it? Any help on what I should do?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

They might fix it, but you're going to pay. Might as well take it somewhere that has a lower labor rate.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM
SL Member

June 20th, 2008 by G
Can You Mod a Leased Vehicle?
The short answer to that question is “YES”. Leasing is like “Rent-To-Own”, so if you decide to make expensive modifications to your leased vehicle and would consider purchasing your car at lease-end (or before that), mod away.

If you decide to return the vehicle at lease-end, you must return the vehicle to “factory condition”. Not to say the dealer will penalize your putting a new intake and exhaust system into your leased vehicle (as long as its installed properly), but they certainly won’t pay you back for all the money you spent modifying it.. The lesson here is to modify with caution and make sure your modifications (if very expensive) can be easily removed without damaging the vehicle.
Does modifying your car automatically void your warranty?
The quick answer is “NO”. However, you need to understand that if your vehicle is damaged due to the modification you made, the manufacturer CAN and WILL (if they can prove the modification was the cause) void your warranty. Again, performance modifications should be down with caution regardless of whether you lease or own.
The safest modifications are typically the “visual” ones, like new rims and tint. Performance modifications can be risky, so only do so if you will consider keeping the car after the lease matures or have the money to make the necessary repairs if something catastrophic happens.
Use common sense when you modify a leased vehicle. I would recommend making sure nothing expensive is “permanent” if you plan on returning the car in the end. Also note that if you do make exterior modifications, do them “tastefully” or there could be some penalties/fees.
my 2 cents.

Last edited by MadFunnyBruh; 04-27-2013 at 09:37 PM.