Notices

Extreme wear on rear tires...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Extreme wear on rear tires...

I was wondering why I had a lot of aquaplaning from the rear...

I've checked my rear tires and noticed that they are totally gone... No more strips, nothing! They look like drag tire...

My front tires are in very good condition, no significant sign of wear on them.

How is that possible?

I have the OEM tires all around and I'm dropped on TRD springs. The car/tires have 25000km.

Is this normal? How can the rear be good for garbage and front be in perfect shape?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe the alignment on your rear is whacked out
Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

alignment! anytime you drop a car our alignment is thrown off so you need to go get it aligned again and that should fix your problem =) I learned the hard way going to tires every 2 months till I figured it out -__-
Old 07-26-2013, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't feel the car pulling left or right. Since it's in the rear only, this may be why I don't feel it while driving?

I have an appointment at my dealer next week. They will check the tire to see if it's a normal wear and compare with the front. I'm impatient to see the mechanic's face. lol

I'll act like I know nothing about mechanic (which is pretty much the case eh) and see what they say/find.

At worst, I'll need get new tires and alignment.

We'll see.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by P33kAb00B
I don't feel the car pulling left or right. Since it's in the rear only, this may be why I don't feel it while driving?

I have an appointment at my dealer next week. They will check the tire to see if it's a normal wear and compare with the front. I'm impatient to see the mechanic's face. lol

I'll act like I know nothing about mechanic (which is pretty much the case eh) and see what they say/find.

At worst, I'll need get new tires and alignment.

We'll see.

Thanks guys!
I doubt they will seem surprised, this is a huge issue, and there are several threads on this. Some cars are worse than others, and that is why people really want adjustable RUCA's(Rear upper control arms) so they can adjust camber so this doesn't happen.

Good luck
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by disaster06
I doubt they will seem surprised, this is a huge issue, and there are several threads on this. Some cars are worse than others, and that is why people really want adjustable RUCA's(Rear upper control arms) so they can adjust camber so this doesn't happen.

Good luck
Since the installed coils are TRD, do you think my ECP warranty would cover this? Will they fix the RUCA issue or change the tires? What are the possibilities?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

lowering leads to negative camber, which is currently unadjustable and can cause uneven tire wear

BUT
....if u get proper alignments after lowering AND rotate your tires are recommended, they still stay perfect

i've been lowered on coilovers/wheels for well over a year and my falkens practically still look brand new
Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, thanks for the advise!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been lowered on Eibach Sportline springs for a year and a half. I've never had an alignment. I have 55k miles on my car. All of my tires still have tread. I will probably need to change them by the end of the year, but they have been perfectly fine. I can't see how someone can possibly run through tires in 2 months...
Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have -__- that's cuz my alignment was really off when I dropped it
Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
I've been lowered on Eibach Sportline springs for a year and a half. I've never had an alignment. I have 55k miles on my car. All of my tires still have tread. I will probably need to change them by the end of the year, but they have been perfectly fine. I can't see how someone can possibly run through tires in 2 months...
I believe k0ntr0lledka0s when he says he had to change tires every 2 months with a bad alignment. I have the same problem right now.

My mechanic who installed my NST pulley yesterday told me my front tires have little imperfection on the inside. Little bumps or something like that. He says this might be a suspension issue. Must be aligment issue too.

I'll probably get the Bridgestone POTENZA RE760 SPORT or Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S 3 if I end up having to pay for tires. What you think?

http://www.bridgestonetire.ca/tire/p...port/225-45r18
http://www.michelin.ca/tire-selector...3/tire-details

Edit: Should I change all tires? Front are @ 50%. Purchasing tires was not planned in my budget especially since I've recently moved in an apartment. Can I only change rear for now and get two other next year? Will it "hurt" the car?

Last edited by P33kAb00B; 07-30-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tires wearing and the Car ill handling are a byproduct of pore aliment from the factory or the lovely flat roads our tax's pay to keep smooth!!!!
When we picked up our car in Oct 2010 that night driving it home there was some thing odd and on the next monday it was at the dealers for a aliment…
We stood and watched them put the car on the rack hook up all the equipment and do nothing to the car. The work order said with in tolerance.
From the factory
FR -.21 camber
FL -.78 camber
Total front toe -1/16"
RR -1.45 camber
RL -2.05 camber
Total rear toe + 1/8"
Now if these #'s are any where near yours and with in tolerance you will have a tire eating ill handling little 4 wheel tire money pit…..
We made our own URCA for the rear camber and factory crash bolts for the front. Toe from the factory can be adjusted and if your using your car as a people mover and want MPG nor GPM then Camber is not as hard on the tires as much as extreme toe, but that being said the closer to 0 camber and toe are going down the road the better the fuel and tire wear like it !
Now living in the real world with turns and city driving and rubber bushing on the car we have to induce a hint of toe + front and - rear to take up the rubber flex and up to 1 deg camber front and rear because we all make turns and how fast we do it !
After all the run around Scion gave us on the Aliment issue we just took it to a proper aliment shop and had it set up and what a fun little car now...
Old 07-31-2013, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would this help?

SPC Performance Rear Camber Kit: Scion tC 2011 - 2013 (tC2)
http://www.fastscions.com/spc-perfor...3-75600-1.aspx

Eibach Front Camber Kit: Scion tC 2011 - 2013 (tC2)
http://www.fastscions.com/eibach-fro....81290K-2.aspx

or

SPC Performance Front Camber Kit: Scion tC 2011 - 2013 (tC2)
http://www.fastscions.com/spc-perfor...013-81290.aspx

I don't know much about camper things but would it help prevent excessive tire wear?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes it will, the front kit will be easy to install. The rear kit needs to be installed between the bearing and hub, it's not to hard just time and $$$ to install and get right...
Any good aliment shop can do both just $$$$
Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have my appointment with the dealer tonight. I'll post back what they say.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dealer inspected the suspension and direction and found nothing. They say there is no problem. Tires wear is even. It would be more wear on the inside if it was because of the camber right? Anyway, they did not see I am on TRD springs... They asked me if I had swapped tires and sais no, they are like they were from factory. They are willing to pay one of the two tires if I purchase the second one. They will do alignment and put the new tires in front and actual front tires in the back.

They said oem tires are 325$ each which is insanely ridiculous... I said I could get some michelin super sport for that price... They will call me back for a new price.

They will check my defective 3rd light brake and some weird tire wear in front right. The tire has some kind of little bumps on the inside.

Waiting for them to call me back and see the price. Will also ask if the alignment was incorrect from factory if I have to pay anything as I have extra warranty. Again, they don't seem to see I installed TRD springs which seems to help in my situation.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it is cambered then yes it should be more wear on the inside...honestly I don't think they know what they are doing -__-
what the hell!! you can get two new tires for that price or cheaper! and your going to need to replace that tire with the bumps, its actually a defective tire and they should replace it for free...if they knew what they were doing then they would have told you that. Tell them to replace it because its under your warranty...wish you the best bro
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I have the feeling they are not as good as where I've purchased the car... This is a Toyota dealer located at 2 mins from my place. They don't sell Scion but since it's a Toyota dealership, they can honor my contract with the Scion dealer where it had been purchased.

I'll give a call to the dealer where I've purchased my car what they say about my issues.

Now the problem is, the tires are near the point of breaking. I wouldn't be able to drive the Scions at 70kms from my place. I've not used the car for the last week except yesterday for the appointment. They told me it was super dangerous and not legal at this point. Of course it's not...
Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by P33kAb00B
The dealer inspected the suspension and direction and found nothing. They say there is no problem. Tires wear is even. It would be more wear on the inside if it was because of the camber right? Anyway, they did not see I am on TRD springs... They asked me if I had swapped tires and sais no, they are like they were from factory. They are willing to pay one of the two tires if I purchase the second one. They will do alignment and put the new tires in front and actual front tires in the back.

They said oem tires are 325$ each which is insanely ridiculous... I said I could get some michelin super sport for that price... They will call me back for a new price.

They will check my defective 3rd light brake and some weird tire wear in front right. The tire has some kind of little bumps on the inside.

Waiting for them to call me back and see the price. Will also ask if the alignment was incorrect from factory if I have to pay anything as I have extra warranty. Again, they don't seem to see I installed TRD springs which seems to help in my situation.
This sounds all to real for us….
We had less than 100km the first time to the Dealer, 20k when the 4 tires we in need to be replaced and were rotated twice when we had it back for the aliment due to tires burning off. Again all was ok and and they wanted $1200+ tax of the rubber and they would pick up the labour to install……
Old 08-01-2013, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

____... ok.

The sale person I've dealt with when I purchased my car is in the Quebec Scion Club and she knows about tuning and mods. Maybe she will be more willing to help me.

Would it be possible to have the car inspected elsewhere and bring the bill to Toyota?

Quick Reply: Extreme wear on rear tires...