Notices

Looking for a 19" rim need help

Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default Looking for a 19" rim need help

I am trying to buy some new wheels 19" str 601 and I want to get 9.5" wide I was wondering if this is can be done. not sure on an offset or tire size to chose. The rims have a 2.75" lip I'm lowered on stechs and willing to roll fenders if necessary and I want it to be flush with the fenders maybe a little poke. I was considering to do staggered with 8.5 in front with 35 offset and 9.5 in rear with same offset I'm just not sure what that would look like. Can anyone help me out a bit? Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This past season I ran 19x9.5 +20, tires 215/35 (Federals). Rolling your fenders would be best. Also, wheels that are smaller than 9" in width are tough to stretch with. Feel free to check out my build and let me know if you have any questions!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:10 AM

In regards to STR wheels (i should probably make my own thread) one of my buddies claims they aren't good because they are poured into a mold rather than being "machined". I personally wanted to get STRs but i can't tell if he is right, or if he's just blowing smoke out of his ___.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AlecR
In regards to STR wheels (i should probably make my own thread) one of my buddies claims they aren't good because they are poured into a mold rather than being "machined". I personally wanted to get STRs but i can't tell if he is right, or if he's just blowing smoke out of his ___.

Any thoughts?
A friend of mine is running STRs on his car right now and hasn't had any issues (that I know of). I'm assuming your friend is talking about the difference between one piece and multi-piece wheels when he refers to pouring the wheel into a mold vs machined. I've seen people have more issues with multi-piece wheels than with one piece wheels, especially if you are re-building them.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by shannonh0lm
A friend of mine is running STRs on his car right now and hasn't had any issues (that I know of). I'm assuming your friend is talking about the difference between one piece and multi-piece wheels when he refers to pouring the wheel into a mold vs machined. I've seen people have more issues with multi-piece wheels than with one piece wheels, especially if you are re-building them.
awesome, thanks shannon!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:52 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

actually its cast vs forged. two difference processes of making wheels.

cast is more porouse and thus is not as strong as a forged wheel. whoever, being cast doesn't necessarily make it a bad wheel, pretty much all OEM wheels are cast since the process is simpler and cheaper.

the issue in whether a wheel is "good or bad/real or fake" is when a company takes the designs of another company to make their own wheel, a replica. Now I know some reputable wheel companies have similar designs as others and still considered a real wheel. But through research you will find that those who are out to make replicas/knock-offs take designs of wheels that are supposed to be forged, and tested, and had proper R&D to ensure its quality...and take shortcuts and make cast version which do not hold up at all and some even deem as dangerous and unsafe. A prime example is the real Volk TE37 vs a replica Rota Grid.

...with that said i've never heard of STR to know if they make legit wheels or not

oh and fwiw, a forged wheel can be 1 piece or multi piece. However a cast wheels can only be 1 piece.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by KidJustin
actually its cast vs forged. two difference processes of making wheels.

cast is more porouse and thus is not as strong as a forged wheel. whoever, being cast doesn't necessarily make it a bad wheel, pretty much all OEM wheels are cast since the process is simpler and cheaper.

the issue in whether a wheel is "good or bad/real or fake" is when a company takes the designs of another company to make their own wheel, a replica. Now I know some reputable wheel companies have similar designs as others and still considered a real wheel. But through research you will find that those who are out to make replicas/knock-offs take designs of wheels that are supposed to be forged, and tested, and had proper R&D to ensure its quality...and take shortcuts and make cast version which do not hold up at all and some even deem as dangerous and unsafe. A prime example is the real Volk TE37 vs a replica Rota Grid.

...with that said i've never heard of STR to know if they make legit wheels or not

oh and fwiw, a forged wheel can be 1 piece or multi piece. However a cast wheels can only be 1 piece.
Yeah i believe what he was getting at was that they were replicas. To me, being an extreme car newbie, an awesome looking rim is an awesome looking rim, be it casted or forged.

http://www.str-racing.com/products-p...606-gun-metal/

these are the rims i was looking at, but if its going to cause more problems than for what its worth, then i will look elsewhere.

thanks justin!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AlecR
Yeah i believe what he was getting at was that they were replicas. To me, being an extreme car newbie, an awesome looking rim is an awesome looking rim, be it casted or forged.

http://www.str-racing.com/products-p...606-gun-metal/

these are the rims i was looking at, but if its going to cause more problems than for what its worth, then i will look elsewhere.

thanks justin!
I must've misunderstood what your friend was saying but anyway, I don't believe in the whole replica vs real wheel debate. If the wheels are in your price range and you like them, go for them. Most people just get bent out of shape when you're giving money to a company who "stole" a wheel design. If a wheel was truly unsafe due to the way it was made, it would not be available for purchase. My boyfriend has had more reps than real wheels and has had better experiences with his reps than real wheels. We've been on the side of the road more times than I can count when he had real wheels due to issues with the tire beading. ANY wheel can crack/bend if you hit it the right way, thanks to potholes, etc. Like I said before, if you like the wheel and it works with your budget then by all means buy them.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by shannonh0lm
I must've misunderstood what your friend was saying but anyway, I don't believe in the whole replica vs real wheel debate. If the wheels are in your price range and you like them, go for them. Most people just get bent out of shape when you're giving money to a company who "stole" a wheel design. If a wheel was truly unsafe due to the way it was made, it would not be available for purchase. My boyfriend has had more reps than real wheels and has had better experiences with his reps than real wheels. We've been on the side of the road more times than I can count when he had real wheels due to issues with the tire beading. ANY wheel can crack/bend if you hit it the right way, thanks to potholes, etc. Like I said before, if you like the wheel and it works with your budget then by all means buy them.
I wasn't specific enough, but i see it how you see it Shannon. If I like it and its for sale, then why not buy it? I just wasn't sure if there was any dire differences between the two.