Notices

TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TPMS sensors

Hello All

new to the tC world, but not new to modding cars....but the whole TPMS crap is new to me....

question...can I run my new wheels and tires without TPMS sensors with no ill effects? Ive been running 205/40-16 tires on my 91 GTI for the last 25 years without needing a damn sensor on the wheel telling me my tire pressure is fine, I check my pressures once a week, so I don't need the TPMS stuff...but like I said, if the car senses no TPMS sensors, does it cut power, or throw a code, or anything like that? I can live with the TPMS light on, just want to make sure it wont affect the rest of the car....
Old 01-16-2016, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just in case anyone opens this thread, has the same question, and wants some feedback, here is the multitude of responses to the same question on VWVortex, my old stomping ground....

VWVortex.com - TPMS sensors....
Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And just to answer your question, is not a problem at all, as long as you don't care to have the TPMS light on all the time, is not harm for your car.

Here in Canada TPMS is not a regulation, but the vehicles who have it, every time we change our winter tires, TPMS light is on all the time , until return the "all season" tires...unless you have the $$ to put TMPS valves on your winters.

new to the tC world, but not new to modding cars....but the whole TPMS crap is new to me....

question...can I run my new wheels and tires without TPMS sensors with no ill effects? Ive been running 205/40-16 tires on my 91 GTI for the last 25 years without needing a damn sensor on the wheel telling me my tire pressure is fine, I check my pressures once a week, so I don't need the TPMS stuff...but like I said, if the car senses no TPMS sensors, does it cut power, or throw a code, or anything like that? I can live with the TPMS light on, just want to make sure it wont affect the rest of the car....[/QUOTE]