Notices
Scion xA Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Fiber Glass hood lip! UPDATED PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After all this work I am in serious debate to just have a shop do this job. Maybe even help me get the hood set right with pins. I just can't get the damn Cowl smooth enough. you can see every imperfection in the sunlight. It's driving me nuts.

I really want this to work but I am so broke now it's not funny but I spend over $50 on paint/primer/clear coat. This is getting ridiculous Dammit.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if anything this art takes practice. you are getting some great learning experience. if you don't get things done by the San Diego show let me know, I might be able to get the things sprayed for you for cheap so long as you still have the materials.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I WANT IT DONE NOW !?!?!?!?! AAARRRGGG!

Heh, just venting. Thanks! I will keep it in mind. I have used most the materials up already. Clear coat is all that is left if I am not starting over. So I am gonna stop by LA Auto body down the street and see what they say on price this week. I think they will do it for about $100. I might (if I can) bit the bullet with that price if it still stands.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just make sure you get that price in writing!!! normally they should keep their word on it
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
just make sure you get that price in writing!!! normally they should keep their word on it
Who? LA Auto body? Have you heard stuff about them like that? They have been recommended to me.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I said F@k it and started to spray the gloss tonight. Giving my "newbie" all. Not much to loose but time on my part If it looks ok I will let it cure. If not I am taking it to the shop (when I can afford it).
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if you hate the hood I might be intrested in taking it off your hands if you decide to get a new one!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

getting it to you would be one hell of a pain. Maine from Cali and I never had the box cause I picked it up myself.

I would though.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI I wrote a detailed email to the guys I bought it from about the hood being warped. Hope there reaction is not a defense but I am not really expecting a refund, but maybe an exchange.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

give 'em hell.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW, they say I can come in and do an exchange. Nice!!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet!!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, so now I can get back to my Hood Cowl! I sprayed the Gloss Coat. It looks better but still not like the pros. (duh) so if can have it redone I will. If not I might just put it on and go with the DIY look is anyone notices the bump in the middle
Old 04-16-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Sweet on the hood.....glad to hear that you're dealing with a company that sounds like they're going to work with you.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LeroyJMC
Sweet on the hood.....glad to hear that you're dealing with a company that sounds like they're going to work with you.
So far so good We will see if they follow through in a about a week since it takes about that long to make the hood etc. etc. I would love to go pick it up and make the change right there. No doubts of fitting or anything.

I will go early so if there is fitting probs (again) I can seal with it promptly.

There service/help guy seems very nice and responds quickly. I am glad cause there hoods are cheap in price and local pick ups save you $100 or more. It would be a shame to give them bad reviews here cause I know ALLOT of people here want CF hoods.

I mean there Black/Grey weave hood is only $320 for pete's sake and not many places making different colors anymore like the Red/Black weave I have. It costs more but is still cheaper than the VIS or others.

If they do good on this hood problem I will be promoting them for sure.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I now have to drive up to the place so they can check it out and try to adjust it themselves (shiesh) before they make a whole new one. I figure it's not a huge deal cause I have a meet neat by a couple of hours later.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So if they can't do any additional adjustments, then you're gonna have to wait for them to make another....then go back once again to pick it up? How long of a drive it is?

Wonder how hard they would be to work with if you had bought from them and had to ship it across the country.....that'd suck.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed it would, but i have a feeling they are a bit new to making Scion CF Hoods and I might be helping them in a way make better hoods. It's just luck that I live about 1hr away and am willing to drive up there.

The owner was really happy I was able to come up and was very obliging. I think now they can see 1st hand what is wrong and make changes then use the working one as the alpha for the rest of there hoods. This is all speculation.

The guys that make hoods all day came out and tried to give some half baked ideas but I think they knew right away there was not much to do but make a new one.

The owner wanted to be sure cause it is hard to sell the Red/Black weave in the 1st place but to re-sell this one they will loose money. SO if anyone wants this one after I do the switch I will give you her email address (serious people) and you can work out a deal with them.

I should get the new hood put on (prey for me) next week and I will know right away if it's a good fit before I even leave the place. I just hope I did not spend all this time and get yet ANOTHER bad hood. I guess we will see in a week or so. THEN I can put the damn hood lip/cowl on

Then all will be dope, yay
Old 04-20-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Psyco565
sweet!!
Ryan I have a question, but of course who eve else wants to add to it please do.

The Gloss paint is about cured (7 days) but I have a week or so till I get the new hopefully fitting CF hood. I wanted to put a bit more gloss and try and take a little it of what is left of the bumps off.

Can I sand the gloss and put a few more layers on after such a long time? Would I need to sand? Or should I just leave it even thought it;s not 100% perfect.

thanks!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This post might have outlived it's usefulness but just an update to the hood. I got a call today that the red/black weave sheet they got was really off and they asked if I could wait a bit (maybe a week) for them to get the replacement so they can start making the new hood.

I mean I was disappointed but she is keeping in contact with me and it shows she is concerned about doing a good job rather than just getting it done. I can wait if it's gonna be better in the end

Oh and the Hood cowl? I give up. I want to sue it so bad but It really needs to be done by a pro. So I am gonna have a shop do it so it is done right.

Can't go through all this with the hood and put a home made paint job Hood Cowl/lip on it

Quick Reply: Fiber Glass hood lip! UPDATED PICS!