Notices
Scion xA Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

H.I.D

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Smile H.I.D

Which kit is the best for hi/low beam 05 Xa H.I.D kits does anybody know if one is better than the other
Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member

The bulbs are usually pretty similar other than the temp (color), the more important thing to look for is digital ballasts they are supposed to be more reliable and produce less heat and give more constant voltage to the bulbs, which makes them last longer.
Hope it helps.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

please dont just throw on some hid bulbs and ballasts without actually going with projectors. the result will be those obnoxious bright lights that blind oncoming traffic because the stock housing arent meant for hid bulbs. if you want brighter, just go with some silverstars.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I agree, be careful: HID's are made for projectors headlights only + the light will be actually scattered in non projector headlights, thus blinding on coming cars. In some states for motor vehicle inspection the car may not pass. I'm not aware of an aftermarket projector headlight for an xA.

Good Luck.......
Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JIMXB
I agree, be careful: HID's are made for projectors headlights only + the light will be actually scattered in non projector headlights, thus blinding on coming cars. In some states for motor vehicle inspection the car may not pass. I'm not aware of an aftermarket projector headlight for an xA.

Good Luck.......
yep, there are no projector kits in production for the xa. he would have to do a retrofit as i and a few others have done.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 PM
SL Member

Agreed with the users above, dont put HIDs in reflector housing, wait for projector housing.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM

A more logical solution (at least IMHO) than jury-rigging better lights would be to trade the cheap Mo in for a model with features that are really important to you - like HID lighting. Life is too short to spend it struggling with a car that just doesn't meet your needs.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sahlay
A more logical solution (at least IMHO) than jury-rigging better lights would be to trade the cheap Mo in for a model with features that are really important to you - like HID lighting. Life is too short to spend it struggling with a car that just doesn't meet your needs.
well said
Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. WTF kind of replies are those? There are plenty of cars that came with Factory HID's without projectors. They come with HID Reflectors, different than Halogen Reflectors.

If you really want to go with HID's on the stock reflectors, go with DDM Tuning's Raptor Kit. I have the 55W on my car with 4500K Bulbs. 4300 is the Brightest you can get, any lower and it'll be yellowish, any higher and it'll look blue. They have a life time warranty and the bulbs have a shield that covers the sides (Partially) and bottom. When the light hits the bottom of the reflector, it shoots the light up and blinds on coming traffic. The shields keep the light from shooting up.

You can also make home made shields. Search Shields on HIDPlanet. This is a lot cheaper than getting a new car just to get HID's.

Originally Posted by sahlay
This has to be the stupidest reply ever. HID kits are far from "Jury-rigging". Millions of people make changes or modify their cars in some way or another. You will never be 100% satisfied with everything your car has.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, when I see most non-factory HID equipped vehicles, in particular lifted trucks and SUV's, all I want to do is to get my BBgun and blast those stupid HID knock-offs from the face of the Earth. BECAUSE they blind the F@#$k out of me!
Dual beam headlights arent particularly the best candidates for HID conversion, unless you're doing Projector swap which means loosing HI beams in most cases. HI-LO HID is a half-witted contraption...anyways...
Do what you want man, but remember there are people out there whom you will
be blinding ...On top most all aftermarket HIDs are OFF-ROAD ONLY use...
So you know...
Good luck
Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with you on Trucks and SUV's with Aftermarket HID'S. I hate them too. Even factory HID's on SUV's are sometimes blinding. HID's aren't for every car. My last post was already long enough, but I should have been clearer.

As for the off road use comment, come one. Many things are illegal for on road use. Some Headers, Exhausts, going catless, intakes, even lowering your car too much. That doesn't stop many people from installing them on their car.

I don't condone the use of HID kits without shields. I will post some pictures of my cutoff tomorrow evening.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Archangel1183
I agree with you on Trucks and SUV's with Aftermarket HID'S. I hate them too. Even factory HID's on SUV's are sometimes blinding. HID's aren't for every car. My last post was already long enough, but I should have been clearer.

As for the off road use comment, come one. Many things are illegal for on road use. Some Headers, Exhausts, going catless, intakes, even lowering your car too much. That doesn't stop many people from installing them on their car.

I don't condone the use of HID kits without shields. I will post some pictures of my cutoff tomorrow evening.

The stock halogen lights on the 05-07 tC are bad enough, putting HIDs in them is downright irresponsible & dangerous. Stay off the road if you're going to do sh*t like that.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheShirk
The stock halogen lights on the 05-07 tC are bad enough, putting HIDs in them is downright irresponsible & dangerous. Stay off the road if you're going to do sh*t like that.
We're talking about XA's here, not other cars. Again, HID's aren't for every car. Every owner needs to take precaution with their own personal car.

The XA has a nice cutoff from stock. Here's a picture of my cutoff. As you can see there is only slight glare above the Cutoff when compared to HID's without a shield. Glare happens even on some retrofits with deep reflectors and Short to Mid size Projectors. I took the picture in the driveway surrounded by walls to get a more accurate, less deceiving picture.

I'll take a Picture at a later time of our 05 Accord with TSX Retrofit with slight glare over the cutoff.

Last edited by Archangel1183; 06-15-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a picture facing into the light
Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A shot straight at the light would look like it's produsing too much "Glare". Even on OEM HID Projectors. I just took a pic of my bro's TSX with OEM HID Projectors. You can see that looking almost directly at them looks like it produces glare.

XA

TSX

Last edited by Archangel1183; 06-15-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a picture of my old Supra with a full TSX Retrofit. As you can see it has a nice OEM cutoff, yet it looks like it's producing a lot of glare. A picture of the cutoff is always the most accurate way of exposing true glare.

Name:  Front5.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  53.2 KB
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only vehicle in my grage that has HID is my bike. I've done it not to see better (it was side effect) but for others to SEE me at night and during the day. I ride year round, except snow and ice conditions.
Look at how much glare my 5000K HID produces even when shooting at an angle of oncoming traffic. The HID on the bike is in LOW beam setting (has a shield). Regardless of all, It blinds people. But my safety is NUMBER ONE
Name:  IMAG0335.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  137.1 KB
I've experimented with my 535 (LKM didnt like HID setup, blew 2 LKM modules) and with Hondas I had in the past which had split headlights. I liked increased visibility, but got tired of people flicking their HI beams for me to turn my pseudo-HI beams off...
So now Im in the procees of installing auxilary driving lamps on my xA for rallye and for night driving assist. A 2 -130 watts driving lights will perform quiet well.

Cheers...
Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool. I daily drove year round on motorcycles, for a few years too. I never worried too much about HID glare on my bikes as it's a good thing when your life is at stake. I did adjust them lower as to not produce too much glare though. Even with HID's, I had many close calls with drivers not paying attention.

I've sold all my bikes as I don't have time to ride anymore. I also work too far and can't carry any tools or necessary pc equipment on a bike.

This was my last bike. I was into 90's bikes. It was Mint with only 13K Miles. I sold it about 2 years ago.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  183.0 KB
Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love old IRON...much better looking stallions than modern cyborg-looking contraptions...IMHO

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know a few people who have bought Kensun off of amazon, its not too pricy (for the xa I think its about $90) They come in their own case and come with everything and if a bulb burns out they send you a new one no questions asked and you dont even need to send back the old one.
This is what I am going to buy when I get my headlights adjusted.