*Future* New Scion xA owner needs help/advice on purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Default *Future* New Scion xA owner needs help/advice on purchasing

This is my first post on this fourm so be soft on me, but if everything goes well, I will have much more and be here to stay!

I am 16, and about to be 17. I have been interested in the Scion xA and xB for quite sometime. With the Scions pure pricing I don't have to worry about getting a deal or not. I love this car's standard features.

I have a few questions though, should I wait for the 07 models? Considering it is the end of May and a few months wouldn't kill me. Will there be incentives on the Scion xA during the month of June?

And the dreaded accessories question... I've done lots of research and I found ScionPartsPeople has a great price on many of the accessories I want...

• Security System – Is it hard to install? I’m not very car savvy.
• Rear Spoiler – Shouldn’t be hard to install… right?
• Center Armrest – Anyone get this one from Scionpartspeople? Is it nice vs others?
• Molded Dash Appliqué – Are these just stickers? Or what are they? It looks awesome
• Sport Pedals – Again, shouldn’t be hard…?
• Rear Mud Guard – …? Not hard?
• Rear Bumper Appliqué – Easy?
• Carpet Floor/Mat – This is one thing I know how to install!
• Front End Mask – Necessary? Will it really protect much? Should be easy right?
• Bazooka 8’ Subwoofer – I think I can do this one

Prices look great vs dealership prices. Any other recommended accessories?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: *Future* New Scion xA owner needs help/advice on purchas

Originally Posted by DiStUrBeD_AzN
This is my first post on this fourm so be soft on me, but if everything goes well, I will have much more and be here to stay!

I am 16, and about to be 17. I have been interested in the Scion xA and xB for quite sometime. With the Scions pure pricing I don't have to worry about getting a deal or not. I love this car's standard features.

I have a few questions though, should I wait for the 07 models? Considering it is the end of May and a few months wouldn't kill me. Will there be incentives on the Scion xA during the month of June?

And the dreaded accessories question... I've done lots of research and I found ScionPartsPeople has a great price on many of the accessories I want...

• Center Armrest – Anyone get this one from Scionpartspeople? Is it nice vs others?
• Molded Dash Appliqué – Are these just stickers? Or what are they? It looks awesome
• Front End Mask – Necessary? Will it really protect much? Should be easy right?

For the security system go to www.scionspecialties.net . They have great deals and are very easy to install, no soldering or anything.

Not sure about how easy the spoiler would be to install, but I wouldn't try it personally.

The center armrest is very easy to install, out of all the available ones I'd say which is best is based on opinion. The OEM one is very nice and inexpensive and that's what I'd go with.

I'm not sure if the molded dash appliques are stickers or acual peices of plastic but I've heard they are a waste of money.

The sports pedals are also very easy to install and look great.

Rear bumper applique is just a protective sticker, only hard part would be to get it centered.

I think the front end mask is extremely ugly and ruins the front of the xA, but I don't think it'd be too hard to install.

The stock stereo alone has A LOT of bass, for my standerds anyway. I wouldn't waste the trunckspace on this, and I don't think this would be one of the easier installs, but I've never installed a bazooka tube so I don't know.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Default Re: *Future* New Scion xA owner needs help/advice on purchas

Originally Posted by iyzmi

For the security system go to www.scionspecialties.net . They have great deals and are very easy to install, no soldering or anything.

Not sure about how easy the spoiler would be to install, but I wouldn't try it personally.

The center armrest is very easy to install, out of all the available ones I'd say which is best is based on opinion. The OEM one is very nice and inexpensive and that's what I'd go with.

I'm not sure if the molded dash appliques are stickers or acual peices of plastic but I've heard they are a waste of money.

The sports pedals are also very easy to install and look great.

Rear bumper applique is just a protective sticker, only hard part would be to get it centered.

I think the front end mask is extremely ugly and ruins the front of the xA, but I don't think it'd be too hard to install.

The stock stereo alone has A LOT of bass, for my standerds anyway. I wouldn't waste the trunckspace on this, and I don't think this would be one of the easier installs, but I've never installed a bazooka tube so I don't know.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the response, I guess its the AS805 I should get? Do you personally have this and can recommend it?

For the spolier, I can ask a friend to install if its too difficult, it sure doesn't look too bad though, maybe you need to put a hole in the car. X_X

The Bazooka seems like a good price with 100w for only $200. The standard amp seems great so I think this add on would be great. Although some personal responses would be great.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member

have you driven in one with an armrest?

i first test-drove one without and couldn't tell if i needed/wanted one. then i drove one with an armrest and i found it very uncomfortable. i used my center console thing in my grand am to rest my arm all the time, but i don't find a need to have it in Bella (my xA)...so you might want to consider driving one with an armrest before you spend the money just to make sure you like it...

just a recommendation, though...
Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by indigo_xA_06

i first test-drove one without and couldn't tell if i needed/wanted one. then i drove one with an armrest and i found it very uncomfortable. i used my center console thing in my grand am to rest my arm all the time, but i don't find a need to have it in Bella (my xA)...so you might want to consider driving one with an armrest before you spend the money just to make sure you like it...

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope theres a Scion xA with an armrest somewhere around here.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the xA will actually be either discontinued or re-modeled in 2008, same with the xB. As for the Bazooka, I had one... was an ok system but it tops out very easily and doesn't put out much bass. Dont get the dash appilque, way over priced and paint looks much better.

http://www.trdsparks.com/ has some good deals on OEM suff as well.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRDSparks has the instructions on how to mount the rear spoiler...8 pages....I'd let the dealer do it if you don't want to dripp holes in your new car....
Old 05-22-2006, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by Psyco565
the xA will actually be either discontinued or re-modeled in 2008, same with the xB. As for the Bazooka, I had one... was an ok system but it tops out very easily and doesn't put out much bass. Dont get the dash appilque, way over priced and paint looks much better.

http://www.trdsparks.com/ has some good deals on OEM suff as well.
It won't get discounted soon? I know the 2005 and 2006 models are similar but I don't mind if the 07 Model is similar. As long as its got a few minor engine upgrades for better milage (like the Yaris was able to get it with the same engine), and perhaps a few new functions.

Anyone know when the 2006 models came out?
Old 05-22-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You won't get a discount. They get rid of the older Scions by bribing you with goodies. Last year you had your choice of about 6 or so different items that retail for about $300 or so.

07 xA and xB will be different. There's a pic somewhere of what the B will look like, but noone has a clue yet on the A...or at least someone has kept the kitty firmly in the bag.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
You won't get a discount. They get rid of the older Scions by bribing you with goodies. Last year you had your choice of about 6 or so different items that retail for about $300 or so.

07 xA and xB will be different. There's a pic somewhere of what the B will look like, but noone has a clue yet on the A...or at least someone has kept the kitty firmly in the bag.
Hmmm, 6 items worth $300 each? Not too long to wait, any idea when the 07 will come out? When did the 06 appear in US markets?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope theres a Scion xA with an armrest somewhere around here.
I've got the armrest in mine, and I find the armrest a necessity, and plenty comfortable. I'm just not too happy with the fabric used, as it's not as smooth as the seat covering and is somewhat rough.

After not having an armrest in my last vehicle, I find having a place to put my shifting arm when I'm not shifting is nice to have.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zillon

I've got the armrest in mine, and I find the armrest a necessity, and plenty comfortable. I'm just not too happy with the fabric used, as it's not as smooth as the seat covering and is somewhat rough.

After not having an armrest in my last vehicle, I find having a place to put my shifting arm when I'm not shifting is nice to have.
I'm actually using automatic. XD Do you have the OEM one or the boomerang one?

I'm still very curious about the 05-06 transition, when they the 06s came out, you cannot special order the 05 anymore correct? However, the ones at the dealership would give out bonus accessories, right?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly, you can't order any '05s. Not sure about the whole bonus accessory thing.

I have the OEM armrest. Probably should have just gone with the aftermarket one w/storage, but easier to add it to the total price of the car, than pay for it after the fact.

Go manual!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Exactly, you can't order any '05s. Not sure about the whole bonus accessory thing.

I have the OEM armrest. Probably should have just gone with the aftermarket one w/storage, but easier to add it to the total price of the car, than pay for it after the fact.

Go manual!
>_< Hmmm, I wonder about the '07 though, it seems worth the wait.

I'm gonna stick with auto, I've never driven manual.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL

Hmmm, 6 items worth $300 each? Not too long to wait, any idea when the 07 will come out? When did the 06 appear in US markets?
Not 6 items total, you choose 1 item out of 6...and I'm pretty sure it was more than 6 btw. As for the alarm system, I persoanlayy don't have it but I've heard great things about it and it's an amazing price. I'd go with either the AS16 or AS806.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm gonna stick with auto, I've never driven manual.
Get someone to teach you... it's well worth it, and fun too. I bought my car after learning stick on my cousin's '01 Subaru Legacy GT, and driving it a couple other times before.

Sure, I was a little rusty, having not driven stick in almost a year, but if you're generally a mechanically inclined person and somewhat coordinated, you'll be fine. It quickly becomes second nature.

I'll go to jump into someone else's car, usually automatic, and I'll find myself reaching for the clutch pedal to start it.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, it's not an accessory, its gadgets that aren't part of the menu. I think you even had a choice of a bike last year.

Of course you also run the risk of not getting an 06 at all if you wait till then. After Katrina we sold out of everything with a 4 cyl in about 5 days. We had people comming in in Nov/Dec, "bet I can get a great deal on one of those 05 corolla's", to which I would reply, absolutely, just let me know when you find one.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go manual!
I actually just traded the OEM armrest for the Boomerang with another member. OEM was comfortable, but I wanted extra storage. Easily installed by yourself, either way.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by jgriff63

Go manual!
I actually just traded the OEM armrest for the Boomerang with another member. OEM was comfortable, but I wanted extra storage. Easily installed by yourself, either way.
Hmm, I read somewhere on this forum the 06 Scion xA came out in 05 Julyish, if thats the case, I will wait for the '07. Sure I might have to wait for different aftermarket parts, but atleast my wallet can breath for a few weeks.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 2006 xA arrived at dealerships around the second week of August 2005 as far as I know. I think the 2007 xA will be identicle to the 2006 so there's no real purpose in waiting. The 2008 model is the one that will have the changes.

Quick Reply: *Future* New Scion xA owner needs help/advice on purchasing