Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

2005 xA rear headrests.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:09 PM

Default 2005 xA rear headrests.

I really dont like the rear headrests in my 2005 xA. its too big, and i get such a small view of the rear. driving in New york City, i need to see all the blind spot, especially these cabbie cant drive.

where can i get a smaller one? and how much does these thing cost?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They made the headrest smaller at some point (maybe 2006). I know the 2006 xA headrests are much smaller than some older ones I've seen.

You could probably purchase them at the dealer, but I don't know whether they would have the same material as the seats (I don't know if Scion changed that) and they would probably be expensive.

I wish even the 2006 ones were smaller. It is difficult to fold down the rear seats w/o removing the headrests. I've considered just removing them altogether, but I wish they had must made them extremely small.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 2006 are smaller and the material does match. Maybe you can find someone with a 2006 xA willing to trade. I was thinking someone with a show car may want to put headrest monitors in all 4 headrests.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 PM

i dont think i would pay for an replacement unless its SUPER cheap. plus aint my head resting back there anyway. HAHAH! hmmm, who wants to trade with me?? anyway?? I guess they just going to be off... and in the closet. need my every inch of the trunk space.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just removed my rear, except for the center one, and am currently using one for an arm rest. The other head rest is on the rear center floor hump with rods on either side of console pointing forward. They are not blocking my view but are still handy if I need to use for rear passangers/ also makes folding down rear seat quicker, don't have to remove since they are already out. Much better view to the rear, need to have clear view when changing lane @75MPH everyday.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah - mine are bagged up in the garage. Kids in carseats don't need headrests anyway. If you really willing to dish out for smaller ones, just order 2 more of the center-seat headrests & call it good.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by bear454
If you really willing to dish out for smaller ones, just order 2 more of the center-seat headrests & call it good.

i havent tried.. but i thought the center-seat headrest is different size, wont fit on the others.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by psswrd
If you really willing to dish out for smaller ones, just order 2 more of the center-seat headrests & call it good.

i havent tried.. but i thought the center-seat headrest is different size, wont fit on the others.
they won't fit. the posts are closer together. you might also want to make sure the '06s fit (someone said they are smaller -- the posts might be closer too).
Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ecandlcubed
Originally Posted by psswrd

they won't fit. the posts are closer together. you might also want to make sure the '06s fit (someone said they are smaller -- the posts might be closer too).
I've never tried it, but I would think that you would be able to carefully remove the cover, cut the foam down then reinstall the cover. I'm sure that you'll need to do a little sewing.

Another suggestion would be to take it to a local upholstery (sp?) shop and get a quote.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member

The down-sized rear headrest showed up toward the end of the '05 model year. My '05 RS2.0, for example, has the smaller size.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be willing to bet the smaller ones (apparently on late 2005 and 2006 models) will fit any year cars. They reduced the headrests because people thought they blocked too much of the rear view. There is no reason they would have redone the width of the posts because that would have required a redesign of the rear seats too. Scion wouldn't go through that trouble since they didn't have to.

I wouldn't try cutting a rear head rest down and reupolstering. That would be too much work in my opinion and would have a real chance of looking bad.

It is too bad the center headrest doesn't fit the other slots. I would just order two more of the middle ones. Those are designed right. I wish Scion would have used the same design. The newer rear headrests don't really block the view too much, but they keep the seats from folding down.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kdepew
I would be willing to bet the smaller ones (apparently on late 2005 and 2006 models) will fit any year cars. They reduced the headrests because people thought they blocked too much of the rear view. There is no reason they would have redone the width of the posts because that would have required a redesign of the rear seats too. Scion wouldn't go through that trouble since they didn't have to.

I wouldn't try cutting a rear head rest down and reupolstering. That would be too much work in my opinion and would have a real chance of looking bad.

It is too bad the center headrest doesn't fit the other slots. I would just order two more of the middle ones. Those are designed right. I wish Scion would have used the same design. The newer rear headrests don't really block the view too much, but they keep the seats from folding down.
I don't know... If he's willing to buy new head rest anyway, removing the covers and reshaping the foam on the unwanted headrests is worth a try. Otherwise, he's just going to end up with a useless pair of unwanted headrest.

Of course, he could just take the headrest to an upholster and ask them to reshape them.