Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

2006 Scion xA Horsepower help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 PM

Default 2006 Scion xA Horsepower help!

I have a 2006 Scion xA with a custom cold air intake and a High Flow catalytic converter with a custom downpipe and a 4 inch muffler. I looked into getting a supercharger but was wondering if there is anything else I could do to get more horsepower out of my car. I don't want to go spending $4,000 on a supercharger yet. Anybody know anything else I can do to get more horsepower?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dariushadi
I have a 2006 Scion xA with a custom cold air intake and a High Flow catalytic converter with a custom downpipe and a 4 inch muffler. I looked into getting a supercharger but was wondering if there is anything else I could do to get more horsepower out of my car. I don't want to go spending $4,000 on a supercharger yet. Anybody know anything else I can do to get more horsepower?
http://www.fastscions.com/scion-xa-x...d-package.aspx

maybe this is in your price range...just another upgrade i stumble upon...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by xadragon
http://www.fastscions.com/scion-xa-x...d-package.aspx

maybe this is in your price range...just another upgrade i stumble upon...
its a good upgrade. but anything above $300-$500 is too expensive for me right now. But i will definitely have to get it in the future thank for showing me!

do you know if that kit has to use my stock pistons?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sell it and buy another car.

if you're trying to make power or more than 2-3 hundred horses for a couple hundred bucks at a time, this is not the car for you to do so.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You own (and so do I) one of the slowest cars on the road. Don't waste money on trying to make it faster.... may as well pull out five $100 bills and light them on fire!

If you want power sell the scion and get buy something faster.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

lulz @ this thread. u don't want to spend over 300 yet u wanna make more power.

add stickers to ur car, that'll bring it up sum and it will cost u less then 20 bucks.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't have the money to really increase power - save it for something else. Like mentioned, it is a slow car. You'd have to dump thousands into it to even get it to be "quick."

And a 4" exhaust? Is that a full 4" all the way back? Or just a 4" tip or something? Seems like REALLY overkill and you might even be losing some backpressure that way.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
lulz @ this thread. u don't want to spend over 300 yet u wanna make more power.

add stickers to ur car, that'll bring it up sum and it will cost u less then 20 bucks.
why you gotta hate?

Name:  Image036_.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  60.7 KB
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

haha those stickers > manufacture Need for speed/Fast and furious stickers
Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 PM

no i have a 2'' downpipe with a 2'' high flow catalytic converter and the muffler inlet is 2.5 and outlet is 4. I can't buy a new car right now so im going to dump all my money into the xA. I dont get why people hate the fact that i'm trying to work on this car. haters don't help me any so stay off this thread if you don't have useful infromation. I got a list of things that will get me horse power. here it is if you want to see...

cylinder head package $ 1887.68 +45 HP
Blitz supercharger $ 3766.37 +50 HP
Cold Air Intake $ 59.99 +10 HP
Custom exhaust $ 160.00 +12 HP
Aluminum Pulleys $126.00 +9 HP
racing exhaust headers $297.87 +11 HP
VVT-i computer
time controller $468.59 +15% of total HP

so the cost minus the vvt-i time controller computer is ... $6297.91
total horsepower increase minus vvti computer time controller... +137 HP

so total car horsepower should be around... 243 HP

now if the time controller computer works i should actually get around 243 HP + 15% HP increase so by theory it should equal...
243 x .15 = 36.45

243 + 36.45 = 279.45 HP

now if you don't think i should spend that money on my car... it doesn't matter. Because your arent me. For the people who still think i shouldn't but support me and help me anyways, thank you.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those HP numbers are very inflated!

Your crank/pistons/rods could not handle 243 HP anyways!

Not trying to hate... but you should be realistic too.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

first u need to learn the right numbers for those things, u bring all those parts up yet u clearly said urself that u don't want to spend anywhere abover or close to 300$ so wats the point of even bringing any of that up. LULZ 20 hp from pulleys and header, that's definatly not true ur lucky to get 6-8 with that. a company can say anything for u to buy it. so ur telling me header intake puley and exhaust ur able to get almot 42 hp? yeah sure, if that was the case I have that setup on my tc right now I should be at 180/190 range but I'm not I'm at 165 if that. stock internals and block on the xa can NOT handle 243hp.

noones hating, were jus being realistic, and obviously u let companies gas ur head up with there fantasy estimates.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:52 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

save your money and buy a used 80's-90's domestic rwd car
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dariushadi
cylinder head package $ 1887.68 +45 HP
Blitz supercharger $ 3766.37 +50 HP
Cold Air Intake $ 59.99 +10 HP
Custom exhaust $ 160.00 +12 HP
Aluminum Pulleys $126.00 +9 HP
racing exhaust headers $297.87 +11 HP
VVT-i computer
time controller $468.59 +15% of total HP

so the cost minus the vvt-i time controller computer is ... $6297.91
total horsepower increase minus vvti computer time controller... +137 HP

so total car horsepower should be around... 243 HP

now if the time controller computer works i should actually get around 243 HP + 15% HP increase so by theory it should equal...
243 x .15 = 36.45

243 + 36.45 = 279.45 HP

now if you don't think i should spend that money on my car... it doesn't matter. Because your arent me. For the people who still think i shouldn't but support me and help me anyways, thank you.
It's fine if you want to work on your car... but you're saying you can't buy a new car but then go on to quote over $6000 in parts. Why? Regardless of the accuracy of your HP numbers (I really can't verify either way)... it's just not adding up.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by ack154
It's fine if you want to work on your car... but you're saying you can't buy a new car but then go on to quote over $6000 in parts. Why? Regardless of the accuracy of your HP numbers (I really can't verify either way)... it's just not adding up.
where i live at scions don't sell that well. So the chances of me even selling my scion is low... and if i do sell it the price will be low also. I bought this car brand new $14,000 and grown attached to it. I can't sell it because in my town not to many people want a scion xa, and i can't go out and buy another car for 2 reasons... 1.) I can't afford the insureance on 2 cars. 2.) I don't trust used cars. (long story with a friend) so im kind of stuck betweek a rock and a hard spot. I like my xA and have grown attached to it. If i could get my hands on a better car i would. but not to many people want to trade their ricers for my xA. So i guess im SOL :D lol
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For 7 grand, you'd be better off doing an engine swap, if you want to stay with the xA.

Save your money and invest it elsewhere, such as a more capable car.

We're not trying to hate here, it's a pure and simple fact that the 1NZ-FE is nearly maxed out to it's full potential from the factory. It's not an engine built for speed. In order to actually run boost on the engine, I'd highly recommend building the internals first. I've seen quite a few instances of bent rods when the 1NZ is combined with boost.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I understand u wanna make ur car a bit quicker, but if that's the case jus save, but for 300$ under ur not gonna be able to acheive that.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As has been mentioned, you have to just admit, it's a slow car and nothing is going to make it a racer. I have done a few simple things that have definately improved my accountants total performance and off the line pep. First you did good by putting a cold air intake as long as it is not the short ram. Second, I put a polished stainless steel header that is of very good quality and it did make a little improvement. And the cost was MUCH lower than the one you are looking at. I even had the neighbors by my shop at American Speed Factory, which is Team Ferarri inspect it and they were amazed at the high quality especially for the money. They said they couldn't even make the flange for what I paid for the header including shipping. Don't forget. All your horsepower gains are going to be in percentages of total gain. They wont be cut and dry direct horsepower figures. So percentages of a small original horsepower is never going to be great. One thing that really did make a difference and I personally would have never believed was the ground wire installation kit. I did the DIY version but they are to be had very cheap. It gave a slight low end take off advantage and better gas milage also. It changed the shift point between 2nd and 3rd too. I know a shop that put a $8,000 supercharger on an XA and it still had a very low horsepower percentage gain. You also need to try and find ways to lighten the vehicle itself. So I agree, noone is trying to hate. A couple people are just trying to bring a little levity to your plight. If you need info on the less expensive header, PM me and I will email you the info. It was MUCH cheaper and when inspected, it had all the qualities of a very nice performance header. You can afford this one immediately. Also I have been told by a turbo shop by me to add a throttle body spacer and that would help also. Be careful on the header because some are made for low end performance and some for top end. Depending on the length of the pipes and the style and length of the collector. The wrong one can kill your low end take off. So there are some things you can do to make the XA somewhat quicker than it came stock, but it will NEVER be a "fast" car with the original motor. When I approached a couple perfomance import mechanics on the idea of installing a TC motor, they said this also would be a waste because I would get more gain by installing a Toyota motor from another model. And much less total cost. Which is most likely the route we will eventually go with on Ronna's XA. So good luck and if you need any other info, PM me as I have been doing some research in this area. Again, remember your h/p gains are going to be figured as percentages of increase over the original horsepower. Not flat gains. Hope some of this helps. Is your intent just to have a little more power or to win a race over a cometitive car?? Just curious.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zillon
For 7 grand, you'd be better off doing an engine swap, if you want to stay with the xA.

Save your money and invest it elsewhere, such as a more capable car.

We're not trying to hate here, it's a pure and simple fact that the 1NZ-FE is nearly maxed out to it's full potential from the factory. It's not an engine built for speed. In order to actually run boost on the engine, I'd highly recommend building the internals first. I've seen quite a few instances of bent rods when the 1NZ is combined with boost.

wow, i havent heard of that. thank you for the warning. i never thought of an engine swap, but im limited on the swap compatbilities... i know its not a car for speed...thats why i want to make it a speedy car, break the normal... Thanks for the idea! its a great help. (im not being sarcastic, i thought it seemed like i was. sry. )

Last edited by dariushadi; 08-29-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last night, I saw a Yaris with the engine bored out to 1.6 and running 20psi.

For 300hp.