Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Aftermarket horns for the lil xA???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Aftermarket horns for the lil xA???

After numerous incidents where I've been cutoff in my lane, quite unsafely, I'm convinced the tiny xA is invisible to the typically unaware driver. Even after blasting my horn repeatedly, it's as if I'm cruising on the freeway in the Wonder Woman jet.

I also drive a 4x4 Tacoma, and I've noticed a huge difference in the amount of lane respect I get when I'm in that vs. the xA.

So, does anyone know any loud but normal sounding aftermarket horns? I found one by PIAA that would work, but I thought I'd ask around a bit first and see what the best sounding/most effective one is.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty much any aftermarket car horn will work on these cars.

I upgraded my dinky xB horn (which sounded like a toy car horn, I was embarassed to honk) to a FIAMM low-tone (I like low-tone horns b/c they aren't that high-pitched tone like the stock xB/xA horns (which are known as high-tone horns). Scored it from PepBoys for like $14 (its not the disc type (like stock), it looks like a snail shell)

Low-tones are usually what your larger vehicles have (like Cadillacs, Lexus, SUVs, large trucks, etc).

Hookup is REALLY easy (I just used the engine bay fuse box to run my wire to (so I wouldn't have to splice anything)and of course a ground anywhere on the chassis.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Matt_Moore, did you disconnect the stock horn or have them go simulataneously?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm using a set of two Hella Supertones and 300 and 375Hz. These things are huge and LOUD. They are about 4.5 inches in diameter and honl at about 113db. There is a how to posted here on ScionLife if your interested in the know how on hooking them up. The set I purchased runs for about 60-70 bucks. :D
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by proctorsilex
Matt_Moore, did you disconnect the stock horn or have them go simulataneously?
I have them hooked up to honk simultaneously, only b/c the next time I take my front bumper off, I'm going to switch the stock one to run the FIAMM low-tone as well.

I need to get off my lazy-**** and do that soon, I can still hear the stock one when I honk (but not as much as when it was the only horn).
Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I did a little more looking, and it appears that the main difference b/w these aftermarket horns and our stock horns is the Hz levels (i.e. they're much lower in frequency than our high-pitch lil beepy Scion ones that you can't really hear over road noise).

In the PIAA description is says that you aren't sposed to piggyback on the stock horn b/c it'll then exceed noise laws. Well, if that's what it takes to be safe, then so be it.

Is it an easier install to piggyback instead of replacing the stock horn? I don't wanna buy a volt meter, so I thought piggybacking would be a good route.

By the way, thanks for the the info guys.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I don't think a cop will ticket you b/c you honked too loud and every inspection place I've been too only checks if the horn works, not the sound it emits.

I say the louder the better, if I had money, I'd get those uber-expensive train horns they have for cars.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:14 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would some thing like this work???

i already have a nice spot for it if its thin enough for it!!!

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm
Old 02-02-2006, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hornet, that's a great website w/the sound clips. Thanks!! It'd be great to fit the truck or train horn in the lil xA/xB. Sweet.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its even better if you have air bags too i think truck/train horns are little bit too big unless you mount 'em on the back of your car (underneath)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Aftermarket horns for the lil xA???

Originally Posted by skawt01
After numerous incidents where I've been cutoff in my lane, quite unsafely, I'm convinced the tiny xA is invisible to the typically unaware driver. Even after blasting my horn repeatedly, it's as if I'm cruising on the freeway in the Wonder Woman jet.

I also drive a 4x4 Tacoma, and I've noticed a huge difference in the amount of lane respect I get when I'm in that vs. the xA.

So, does anyone know any loud but normal sounding aftermarket horns? I found one by PIAA that would work, but I thought I'd ask around a bit first and see what the best sounding/most effective one is.

Thanks.
I've experienced this too, but I think it has more to do with how small the car is, and not the horn. When I do honk, people certainly hear me. . . and usually I'm greeted by a nice middle finger (and this is by the people who cut me off, forcing me to hit the brakes to prevent a collision). My buddy's Ford Ranger has a dinkier horn than my xA. . . but he gets much more lane respect. In all honesty, small cars themselves (well built ones anyway) never cause much concern for safety, IMO. However, the resulting lack of road manners granted by by other drivers towards small cars is of concern to me. I honestly don't know if I will purchase another small car again. It's downright silly how often I am cut off in the xA and nearly hit. Even passengers take note. . .

And BMW drivers are the biggest punks ever. I go 80mph, they cut me off in the fast lane and chug along at 65. . . nothing angers me more. And when you try to pass, they speed up!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^ I hate that, too! They'll speed up to pass you, and then they'll slow down. No car in front of them or in the other lane or anything!!!

Luckily for me (so far), I've gotten a lot of road respect. Or put another way, I haven't LOST any road respect. I'd say that Alabama roads are much calmer during rush hour that any other states' road during normal hours.

-- gg
Old 02-14-2006, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

You're lucky. . . just today, I got onto an on ramp at about 80MPH, and some punk in a C class Benz floors it and tries to cut me off. 9 times out of 10, no matter how fast I get onto the freeway, people will always speed up and try to not let me in.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree that the horn won't solve this problem, but it'll at least let them know I'm there. I'm giving them the benefit of doubt that it's just b/c they can't see me as opposed to treating me differently cuz I can't inflict much damage on their cars in a crash (though that's probably the case).

Anyhow, for those that have a conscious, a short blast w/a louder horn may get them outta the way. Their first reaction could be to back off quickly since there might be a big damaging SUV next to em.

It's interesting that others are experiencing this small car phenomenon too. Glad to hear it, in a twisted way. I have a brush w/this almost every day here in CA...where I think poor attitudes flourish while driving.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Where can I get one of those car train horns, I am justgoing to wire it in too my air ride
Old 02-15-2006, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scionpilot
Where can I get one of those car train horns, I am justgoing to wire it in too my air ride
http://www.hornblasters.com/products/category.php?id=1

Careful, they are pricey, but they are legit (i'd wire them seperately from the stock horn).
Old 02-16-2006, 04:02 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hornet_on_the_flower
would some thing like this work???

i already have a nice spot for it if its thin enough for it!!!

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

here it is installed just need to drill a hole to mount it, and some minor wiring

it gives it a slightly louder tone with the stock horns

Old 01-14-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
You're lucky. . . just today, I got onto an on ramp at about 80MPH, and some punk in a C class Benz floors it and tries to cut me off. 9 times out of 10, no matter how fast I get onto the freeway, people will always speed up and try to not let me in.
I have been looking at these posts to check out the horn upgrade ideas for my Xa, but have been interested to see that other Xa folks have suffered at the hands of F-150's ad nauseum!! I work for a small drug store chain; we have two white '06 Xa's we use as delivery cars. Mostly I travel back roads here in the Wellesley, MA area, but some days it seems as if there is a "Give Me A Hard Time" sign stuck to my rear end!!! Ah well, consider the source(s), I say. I kidded with my boss about three weeks after we got the Xa that NEXT TIME the company buy a black, full-size Hummer!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Gap
5 Year Member

If anyone is interested, I just installed the "Bad Boy" in my xA. Sounds really good (just ordered another for my friend's xA).

It took about 15 minutes. If anyone is interested in the install technique I used, let me know. I can also post pix if interested.

There is a vertical bar in front of the radiator that has a perfect hole for the bolt (no drilling necessary)

g
Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Horn install

Gap,

I plan to install a set of electric high/low horns on my Xa; details on removing grill, please? Looks like there are several plastic "plugs" along the top of the grill...are these easy to pop off to remove it? Any other attachments which need to be undone to remove grill? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket horns for the lil xA???