2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Any Newbie Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

thanks oldmanatee...i figured it was just the sound differences, but everyone has an opinion on who makes the best one haha. guess i'll go with trd then because i like that low rumble. i'm proud that you are competing with a cooper s haha.

gemini...an si, is a civic si. and as far as the exhaust goes, i guess you might be right...the turbo would need some breathing room. and i always hear about horror stories from people that got a turbo and had the stock exhaust, and well...lots of problems... :/
Old 10-27-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if you get the turbo, you should be smart enuff to figure out that more air in has to mean more air out....If you leave stock exhaust you deserve huge problems,, and a case of crabs.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
I think if you get the turbo, you should be smart enuff to figure out that more air in has to mean more air out....If you leave stock exhaust you deserve huge problems,, and a case of crabs.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
Congrats on the si kill, emo....I have a standing agreement with a Mini Cooper S that I see about 3 times a week going to/from work.... we are about even after 10 runs.
Are you sure it is a Mini Cooper S, and not just a regular Mini Cooper? I could see you running with a standard Mini, but a Cooper S should destroy you unless you have done some very significant performance modifications (or he is a terrible driver). The Cooper S has 168 HP and only weighs a little more than an xA.

As for modifications, my opinion is tint, rims, and lowering springs are the best bang for the buck for improving the car. If you want to improve handling, I've read that a rear sway bar is more important than the front strut brace or front sway bar, but that is just what I've read.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:40 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make it go (intake, header, axle back muffler), lower it, then style it,
Old 10-28-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by thegermangemini
Wow! You guys rock! I def want to get a short shift ****, it would just feel better.
Also get the metal shifter bushings. They make the shifter more positive and they are cheap. Full set for $60.

See this thread...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...965&highlight=
Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdepew
If you want to improve handling, I've read that a rear sway bar is more important than the front strut brace or front sway bar, but that is just what I've read.
it's true...our cars have a serious understeer problem. i like driving in the mountains...and this car doesn't handle like my old corolla did. instead of hugging the turns, the front end starts swingin out to the outside of the turn. a rear sway bar is what you'll want if you like taking turns agressively. otherwise, you'll end up making a turn into a death-trap ramp someday. (i know from experience...luckily our brakes aren't bad.)

...then again, this is only what i've been told (about the sway bar helping)...i still haven't gotten a chance to get one yet.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Now that is some seriously helpful info. Thank you. I would have assumed the front needed more stability.

Also, Epitrochoid, that is some good info. I will definitely order. Where did you get the actual ****? I am having trouble deciding exactly which one to pick.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Now that is some seriously helpful info. Thank you. I would have assumed the front needed more stability.

Also, Epitrochoid, that is some good info. I will definitely order. Where did you get the actual ****? I am having trouble deciding exactly which one to pick.
I have a Sparco **** on my shifter. I did not get a short shifter but I did cut the stock shaft by about 1.5 inches with the good 'ol Dremmel.

As stated a few posts above, get the rear sway bar. I got mine from Sparks and it took about 10 minutes to install. It takes out a fair amount of body roll and understeer. Very worth the $145.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I have heard, the reason the front doesn't benefit as much as you would think, the struts are so close to the firewall, it is already very stiff. So, a tower brace is mostly just window dressing.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Brilliant. That is what I will do then. I am glad you guys told me that. It would have been hella disappointing to buy the front sway bar and get little to nothing out of it.

Anyone have a pic of what the final result looks like?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Brilliant. That is what I will do then. I am glad you guys told me that. It would have been hella disappointing to buy the front sway bar and get little to nothing out of it.

Anyone have a pic of what the final result looks like?
Just to clarify... He was talking about the Strut Bar(bar that goes between the top shock towers) not being very effective due to the shock location to the body.

A front Sway Bar attaches to the front suspension assembly. I have heard that the stock one is plenty good and not worth changing.

Just get the rear sway bar and maybe the chassis brace. This and a good coilover set should do the trick nicely.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Now see? That's why I love you all!

Newbs are not worthy!

Another newb question...what is the difference? Is it the positioning? How exactly does it change the handling between a sway bar and a strut bar?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Another newb question...what is the difference? Is it the positioning? How exactly does it change the handling between a sway bar and a strut bar?
The sway bar attaches to the suspension torsion bar under the car. This does not allow the body to lean in cornering. The strut bar braces the top of the shocks to keep them from flexing.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't be a show queen. if you drive stick...learn how to heel-toe, left foot brake, throttle and brake modulation, learn suspension set-up, tire pressures, get a good suspension, any chassis reinforcing bar (look into tanabe, they have a front strut bar, and front and rear underbraces) btw...the whole BS about front strut bars arent worth it...is from people who don't push their cars fact is, slight increase in ridgity is better than stock ridigty. the rear sway bar is a must, get some good tires too. i'd recommend Falken Azenis rt615s. you can adjust the throttle body to be more responsive ala throttle body cable..not to much though. as for power don't even bother going a$$ out. just get a plain and simple I/H/E/Lightweight pulley. or you can always supercharge it via Blitz. don't get wheels bigger than 16", don't get a big brake kit, go for good performance pads, stainless steel lines, and DOT4 fluid...oh and stainless steel lines for the clutch, and that's all i can think of, and please...I am all for front canards and splitters but unless you are going to be taking it to the track, don't get it. and really...don't be a show queen. not that show is bad!! don't get me wrong...I'm gonna be getting a kenstyle...style...front lip, grille, and wing...and an HID kit...but at least I can back it up. unlike show queens. yes i am a track rat...and damn proud!! but on a serious note...i don't know who said it but really, it's your car and do whatever you want to do with it!! you can rice it out to kingdom come and make it absolutly tacky but all that matters is that you love it and take pride in saying "that's my car" i know i take pride in the scratches on my front bumper!!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Okay, how about a Show Princess?

j/k Everything you just listed, I want to learn. This might be another silly question, but how shold I start? Any advice on that?

I can assure you that I am not ready to push my car quite yet. But you have given me quite a bit to sift through.

I am still working on understanding all of this. Man, does it feel good!

Oh, and BTW, my scratches are on my rear bumper...
Old 11-01-2006, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ilikemyxa
don't be a show queen. if you drive stick...learn how to heel-toe, left foot brake, throttle and brake modulation, learn suspension set-up, tire pressures, get a good suspension, any chassis reinforcing bar (look into tanabe, they have a front strut bar, and front and rear underbraces) btw...the whole BS about front strut bars arent worth it...is from people who don't push their cars fact is, slight increase in ridgity is better than stock ridigty. the rear sway bar is a must, get some good tires too. i'd recommend Falken Azenis rt615s. you can adjust the throttle body to be more responsive ala throttle body cable..not to much though. as for power don't even bother going a$$ out. just get a plain and simple I/H/E/Lightweight pulley. or you can always supercharge it via Blitz. don't get wheels bigger than 16", don't get a big brake kit, go for good performance pads, stainless steel lines, and DOT4 fluid...oh and stainless steel lines for the clutch, and that's all i can think of, and please...I am all for front canards and splitters but unless you are going to be taking it to the track, don't get it. and really...don't be a show queen. not that show is bad!! don't get me wrong...I'm gonna be getting a kenstyle...style...front lip, grille, and wing...and an HID kit...but at least I can back it up. unlike show queens. yes i am a track rat...and damn proud!! but on a serious note...i don't know who said it but really, it's your car and do whatever you want to do with it!! you can rice it out to kingdom come and make it absolutly tacky but all that matters is that you love it and take pride in saying "that's my car" i know i take pride in the scratches on my front bumper!!
Maybe by the time you get to be 23, you can learn a little respect for other people and their opinions.

The comments about the tower brace are not BS, they are from people that know a lot more than you give credit for. I have been driving longer than you have been breathing, so you might be able to learn some new things yourself.
My track days are behind me, so I guess I am going for what you call "Show Queen", but don't discount what I have learned over the years.

Trust me, I can back it up with my 17 in wheels, slush box and probably every other thing that will make your skin crawl. If you think I am ricey, you are sadly mistaken.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, how about a Show Princess?

j/k Everything you just listed, I want to learn. This might be another silly question, but how shold I start? Any advice on that?

I can assure you that I am not ready to push my car quite yet. But you have given me quite a bit to sift through.

I am still working on understanding all of this. Man, does it feel good!

Oh, and BTW, my scratches are on my rear bumper...
If you really want to learn performance driving and car control and set up, check into the local SCCA. Go to a few autocrosses to see if that is your cup of tea. Enlist in a driving school if one is near you, or get some of the local champs to teach you.
Help is nearby, just look in the right places......
Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanx oldmanatee. I didn't realize we had a chapter or a racetrack so close. I think I will go to a few events, I know its off season now, but kind of get a feel for it and see what area I am most interested in. Thanx!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

age doesn't mean anything. a person can learn just as much as his/her elder when it comes to things of this sort. life...hell no...but cars and what have you, yes! but your view on front strut bars is your view and I respect that (oh wait I forgot, I'm young and don't know how to give respect to others opinions!) Is the shock towers close enough to the firewall to provide good ridigity? yes it does!! but the whole point of braces and bars is to make the car MORE rigid, because more rigidity creates less chassis flex which in turn creates better/responsive handling. if you felt personally attacked though, by my post...then i apologize. I am speaking for the general consensus of EVERY car person. as for respecting opinions and peoples choices in what they do to their cars you must have over looked my last few lines. I'd suggest that you read it. from the rice boy to the retired male with his dream car driving crusing down the street with a smile on his face, as long as you have pride in your car...that's all that matters, no matter what anybody else says! maybe at 46 you can learn how to listen to your own words and despite the fact that my opinions may be insulting to others they are mine and mine alone and I do not push them on anybody, I just state them. so learn to respect mine. anyway, if you have further problems with me, do let us act like adults and take it into private. i feel so bad that this has to happen on a new owners post...

anyway...sorry about that rant gemini. like oldmanatee said, if you really want to learn performance driving check out the SCCA. autocross is a great way to get into performance driving! don't be afraid to ask drivers questions about suspension set-up, tire pressures, etc. i'd also suggest to participate in local track days too. as for the driving techniques you can always search the net, there are good tutorials to look at that will get you started and give you a good idea on what to do and expect. but don't be discouraged if you don't catch on quickly! it took me about two months to learn heel toe and a good four-six months to perfect (as close as possible) left foot braking.

Quick Reply: Any Newbie Advice?