Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Anyone get "Freebies" when buying an xA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone get "Freebies" when buying an xA?

I know Scion has the Pure Pricing policy so the price of the xA is going to be non-negotiable, but has anyone gotten dealers to throw in any "freebies" like floormats or Cargo nets?

I'm looking to buy a 2006 Scion xA manual (Indigo Ink Pearl) w/ the following options:
- Fog Lights
- Rear Spoiler
- Security/Remote Keyless Entry
- Mud Guards
- iPod Stereo Upgrade
- Gray Leather Steering Wheel

Any chance of getting the dealer to throw in floormats/cargo mat and maybe an extra iPod cable?

If anyone has gotten a dealer to throw in extras, how did you go about it? Did they just offer them? Did you just ask? I've never bought a car from a company where they don't deal on the price of the car. It seems strange asking for anything to be thrown in, but it would be nice to at least feel like I got a good deal. I think I actually prefer the buying experience where you negotiate back and forth with the dealer.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I can say is good luck with trying to get a free air freshener from them. The dealers hate the pure pricing and in most cases when the car arrives they immdiately add options to it such as the floor mats and even go so far as to throw in leather seating just so that they can make a buck. And to top it all off they'll convince you the price cannot be haggled, you cannot order one the way you want, and you must buy the one they have. The best thing to do is to stand your ground and not give in. You can order a Scion just the way you wish and not over-pay for the crapola they're gonna try and stick you with. They use pure pricing as their shield and justification for not changing the price. Other than that enjoy your new xA!
Old 07-08-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt you can get them to throw in any freebies. To save some money you should buy everything you can install yourself online. The cheapest site I know of is www.scionpartspeople.com .
Old 07-08-2006, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or www.trdsparks.com
Old 07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member

Good luck getting the dealer to throw anything in! My dealer gave me a nylon backpack with the Scion logo on it (which my nephew promptly grabbed for himself) and 3, count 'em! 3 free oil changes! Which I really didn't mind so much, because I liked the experience of not having to haggle, knowing that no one else was going to get a better price than I was due to the "pure pricing" strategy. I don't begrudge the dealer a profit, but not when I have to pay more because someone else bargained him down to a lower price, so I have to make up the difference.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those 3 oil changes, were they on top of the 3 freebies already provided by Scion, or did they make it sound like you're getting something additional?
Old 07-08-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They will not throw in anything for free, I got the 3 oil changes because that is what Scion offers to new car buyers. Still trying to get a deal on floor mats from a friend at a nearby dealership because mine won't budge on the price, good luck.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes absolutely! I was asked just what could they throw in to make the deal. I was told floor mats plus other stuff of my choice would be no problem. Alloy wheels couldn't be free but could be discounted a LOT. I settled for a $200 discount and no charge for tags/paper work. So I got my base, MT XA for $13,320-200+6% sales tax. I really think I could have done better but I was ready to buy anyway and hadn't expected them to deal.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's messed up. cuz when they get audited.. and scion sees that they pulled something like that off and gave someone something for free that other people dont get... they get flagged and that scion name can be pulled from them...i guess they take that money they make off you... and buy it straight out... what a regular person would pay... because they know.. any business is better than no business.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our dealer provided a few non-alcoholic beverages and doughnuts gratis whilst we waited for the paperwork to be completed. Gotta take advantage, even if it means crumbs in your pockets for weeks. :-)
Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I wanted mud flaps and they said ok, that will 50 bux. They sent me a bill for the 50 BEFORE my title came.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Psyco565
those 3 oil changes, were they on top of the 3 freebies already provided by Scion, or did they make it sound like you're getting something additional?
Nope, it was the regular 3 freebies Scion "throws in" as an added inducement to buy...but you know, the car is such a terrific value I didn't really feel like I was getting screwed by the dealer at all. For all the standard features that come with it, that you don't pay additional for, I'm certain my xA is the best value I've ever gotten for how much I spent. My first new car was a Plymouth Valiant (1976) with a Slant 6 and three-on-the-tree, and I paid extra for the "beefier" suspension and an upgraded interior, and it cost around $3000.00 if I remember right. And it wasn't as nice as my xA!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:13 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm.. awhile back Glendora had a thing about getting a free iPod mini with purchase of an xA. i didn't get in on that though.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dealership I went to was giving a 3night stay + airfare to either Orlando or Las Vegas with purchase of a new auto. They also let me up to their lunch room with them for pizza while I waited for approval.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Free Sirius sat. for 9 months. And was preloaded with LoJack(Not Free)
Old 07-09-2006, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

Good luck trying to get ANYTHING thrown in for free. Every Scion customer has to pay and be offered the EXACT same services/prices during the same period, or the dealer can be severely penalised by Toyota. Thus even throwing in a free floormats is going to land them in trouble.

Scion vehicles have next to no profit in them anyway - buying a Scion is already a great deal, so I don't understand why people try to wrestle extra stuff from the dealers. You're only going to get them into trouble!

And Psyco565: making sweeping generalisations of dealers is wholly unfair. I'm sure there ARE dealers around who might indulge in dubious behaviour, but most dealers/sales personnel don't work that way. Don't tar the whole industry with the same brush.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got floormats and an extra i-pod/phone holder. I'm sure the cost was rolled into my trade-in . So though Scion didn't "give" them to me, the used car dept paid for them.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I said in 'most cases' there are a few dealers with some exceptional people from time to time such as Drew Becker and Rich Manas. But over all my diatribe was simply to make new buyers aware of the tricks of the trade. Thanks for calling me on it.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get free car washes when getting oil changes and I wasn't getting hassled to buy extra acessories. So that was free...free from spending money. Mine did come with iPod connection CD player before I signed the papers so no extra installation charges.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got free floor mats, but that was because I got a car on dealer trade. The first car they got in was damaged, so they sent it back, but I had already paid and signed papers. The new ones came in with floor mats, but because the car was already paid for and the papers signed they didn't have much choice but to give me the mats for free.

Quick Reply: Anyone get "Freebies" when buying an xA?