Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

buzz at speedo/ window area fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 AM

Default buzz at speedo/ window area fixed

The buzzing noise around speedo has finally been eliminated. The solution was to remove the cowling pieces around the wipers and put a good bead of silicone chalk on every part contact point. By this I mean everywhere the two parts touched each other or the windshield including the little clips that go under the windshield lip. We just got back from a Baltimore to Williamsburg road trip and it didn't buzz once. Hopefully it's a permanent solution. B
Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for this tip man!! Ive managed to get rid of almost all the little rattles/creaks in the interior area, but the one behind the speedo has put up a good fight. I thought it was the dash vibrating against the windshield, so I stuffed a bunch of small pieces of black memory foam in that area and didn't get any results...then I thought it was the windshield defroster vent piece vibrating against the dash...nope. didn't even think to check the wiper cowl pieces.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BLESS YOU!!!! Gonna try this solution as soon as I can! I have picked up a new buzz in the last 2 weeks and it'd driving me nuts!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Default pics

got pics ?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 PM

No, sorry I didn't take any. To remove the cowling around the wipers you remove a couple of screws at each end and there are a couple of Philips head push pins that you back out the screw and pry out. You need to remove the wipers next with 14mm socket. Once all those ae done the cowling can be lifted out of place. Then just take a good silicone caulk and go around every edge where the part touchs the metal or glass. Also coat the plastic channels/ clips that hold it against the glass as well as the under side of the rubber gsket that touches the glass. the final thing to coat is where these two parts snap together. Let it dry and then reassemble. At this point everything that could buzz has been coated with caulk. Pay attention to the parts that clip around the edge of the window, I think that is where most of the noise comes from but I was never able to prove where it camre from so I coated everything as described. B