Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

Default Cruise Control

Hello,

I plan to purchase a Scion xA in a few weeks, once I turn 18. However, one thing has me stumped... Does the 2006, Scion xA come with Cruise Control or as an option or not at all.

I've read review saying it comes with it, some say its an option and some say it should have it as an option.

I am looking ordering a 2006 Scion xA.

Thanks,
Clayton

Hopefully you can help me out.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member

It isn't a factory option. But from what I gather a lot of dealers have it as a dealer installed option.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It is not a factory option, rather the distributor (usually) or the dealer can install it. The dealer did mine and it is a basic system. I wish it was integrated better like other Toyotas. On the Scion it is a pod on the left side of the steering column. Works, but not great to look at. Plus my knee hits it occasionally getting in and out of the car.

hope that helps ya out
Old 09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
BPG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All Scions inported do NOT have Cruise Control. Never did. The Toyota/Scion Distributor (Not Dealer) Installs Cruise Controls at the Port of Intry. This option is only available in the Southeast USA. The Scion xA & xB pre-ordered and sold by dealers in the Southeast use a Cruise Control unit manufactured by Rostra in North Carolina. It sells to us DIYers for about $179.00 plus shipping. The Rostra Criuse Control is not real easy to self install. But, you can do it with some MOD/auto skill. My Rostra works great and I love it!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

Anybody have pics of the installed unit?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, not a factory option. I wanted CC included in the financing for less coin up front, and the dealership farmed it out to a local detail/customizing firm.

I think if I had to drive long distance in a car without cruise, I'd get me a large rock or stick for the pedal.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ahaz
Give me a week. Dealer didn't have the parts for it or my armrest so I'll be taking my xA in next week to have those things installed. I can take pics of it then.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ShellicaSTL
Give me a week. Dealer didn't have the parts for it or my armrest so I'll be taking my xA in next week to have those things installed. I can take pics of it then.
Sweet! I never really used cruise control in my S2000, but it was at a lower (relative to redline) RPM at highway speeds, and felt more comfortable there. Sometimes in the Scion, I feel like I need to switch gears, even though I'm in fifth. The second day I had it, I was about 1/4 of the way into reverse before I realized what I was doing. Ouch.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your unit?
Old 09-28-2006, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShellicaSTL
Sweet! I never really used cruise control in my S2000, but it was at a lower (relative to redline) RPM at highway speeds, and felt more comfortable there. Sometimes in the Scion, I feel like I need to switch gears, even though I'm in fifth. The second day I had it, I was about 1/4 of the way into reverse before I realized what I was doing. Ouch.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your unit?
I've had my xA less than 24 hours but I hear you on feeling like you need another gear, I find myself checking to see if I'm *really* in 5th often, including taking it out of gear and putting it back in. Too funny.

I paid $300. That's for parts and install. Totally worth it considering what a roadtrip ***** I am.

I'll be taking it sometime next week so I'll be sure to post pics afterward.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member

Ha, I've only had my xA for a week. $300 sounds like a great price installed. I have a feeling my dealer would charge that much or more just for labor. They seem kinda pricey that way.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ha, I've only had my xA for a week. $300 sounds like a great price installed. I have a feeling my dealer would charge that much or more just for labor. They seem kinda pricey that way.
I'd check on that to be sure because I've seen similar prices to mine mentioned around here before. I think it's one standard unit that most dealerships use, so even though it's aftermarket it's standard through most dealerships.

But yeah, for the price I couldn't turn it down. I spent half that on my armrest.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i ordered a cruise control off ebay and installed it myself. I'll get some pics

Mike
Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-02-2006, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a seperate switch and not a steering wheel mounting? Sad. Gotta have it though - in the next 6 months I'm doing St. Louis to Chicago, St. Louis to Kansas City, St. Louis to Ft. Hood Texas, and St. Louis to Tampa Florida - at least.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im going to switch to a steering wheel mounted switch similar to a honda civic. I haven't really looked into it yet seeing as how the one that came with the cc is good enough. the only complaint I have is the clutch switch you have to install is really sensitive. if I accidentally tap the clutch pedal, even on the side, it sometimes deactivates the cc. so I'm going to adjust that someof these days.

~Mike~
Old 10-02-2006, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm. Makes me wonder which the dealer installed cruise will be. I'm not paitent enough for that complicated of a DIY.

Guess I'll find out when I take it in - it's already paid for so no turning back now.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dealer installed one is the same thing as far as I know.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh, and as far as diy kits go, this was a breese. it took me about 2 hours to install it and that was only because the instructions were a little vague on which year/model of car has what color wires to tap. one of them was wrong in the instructions.

it was a scion xa/xb specific install kit.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can anyone give me some help? I got my kit, took me 45 minutes to install everything, but two wires. The power wire and the vss vehicle speed sensor. I got add a circuit and used the acc fuse to get my power and the red or violet and white stripped wire. Well, the green light on the cruise handle went on and back out. After lots of testing, no fuses blown and when I cut the vss wire on the cruise side from the tap its handle now will have the green power light go off and on with the switch.

Which wire is the vss wire behind the glove box? I have two connectors in a vertical orientation to the left of the air intake for the ac system. I see a white, red, purple with silver spots and the purple/white wire that looks more like white/red instead.

Is the purple and silver spot wire that comes from the computer under the white air box the wire or the one I had from the larger of the two connectors?

I have a 06 xa with manual tranny.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one? Can anyone please save me a hunder bucks from going to the dealer or scion electronics dealer to get the vss wire connected by dropping their glove box and taking a photo of how or where they attached the vss lead from the cruise control?

Where is the best place to get the vss wire? From the brain box under the aid box? Is it red/white like the border from the website here or a pretty pink with silver spots? Can I screw anything up by hooking the vss wire from the cruise control to something in the harness in the xa?

Thanks. Other than this, its really easy to install the kit.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control