Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the exellent topic. The installation was very easy. The VSS wire diagram in manual was correct for XA'06. However, the power wire was messed up. So that, I connected the power wire to the Green wire of pin 5 of black connector 1N, insted of pin 6, in step 8. This gives the power only when the day lights are on. Can I leave it this way? Or can I even connect it to the constant power, as I like the remembering speed feature, but the memory is erased when the unit loses the power. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hooked mines to the acc fuse, so its hot the whole time the key is on. I had thought about wiring it to the battery since its fused so its indicator could act as a thieft deturant, plus as mentioned the correct power wire is hard to find.

Lets ask a better question. When did 06 xas come with day time running lights?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry, I did not mean running lights, Toyota calls them Parking lights in the manual; however, I use them as day lights and happen to connect the cruise there. So far, it works very well, and driving became much easier. The speed sets itself, even after brief rest stops. I think, I will reconnect the power to the power of the keyless entry I installed earlier. The only slight annoying thing is the cruise sets its speed control with a brief delay of a couple of seconds. I think I will get used to it soon.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the cruise is a bit to be desired.

1., set speed a few mph over desired set speed. After turning cruise control on, wait a few seconds before hitting the cruise set button. Then release the gas a second later.

Hit the accel button to go up a mph. Each tap goes up a few mph.

Also the cruise wil drift a bit too in operation.

Some slack in the cable can explain some of the stuff, but I have mines fairly tight. Plus my previous car was a mercedes 240d, so using that as a measure is not a level playing field.

I guess you can run it from the parking lights. I picked the acc fuse since I do not use my cig plug and its on with the key. I wouod of hooked it up correctly, but I could not find the right wire to power it.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I was told when I purchased my xA was that the cruise control option is part of the no haggle pricing that scion offers. Every dealership has to charge the same amount, regardless of location in the region, but each region may be different. They advertised mine with CC, but it actually didn't come with it. My wife made them make a choice, put it on, or cut us a check or we wouldn't take it. They cut us a check b/c they didn't have the parts. lol.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dealer said 499, yeah right. YOu can keep it.

I find it works fairly well, but hear lately it will not engage and I have to turn it off and back on to make it work. Seems sometimes it will work if I turn it on at a dead stop, other times I have to turn it on while rolling to make it work. Each time the green light is on, but both butons do nothing.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW!!! I haven't had mine installed yet, purchased it in march, got the check in april, just haven't had the time. Dealer said 275, so thats what they gave me. I hope the price doesn't differ too much. Thanks for giving me the heads up on that.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dealer wants 499 for everything or they think I am a fool.They post a 30% discount if you buy parts and install them, but when I inquired they said doing so would void warranty. I aint paying 499 for a trd intake, muffler or rke box.

The CC is easy to install. Just dont make the mistake I did and look behind the glove box for the white and purple wire, but rather under the passenger front edge of the dashboard where this big bundle of wires comes up from the fire wall.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*Follow Up*

I went to my local dealer today to get a price so that I could get it done in the next few weeks. $212 for the box and exactly $200 for labor. I don't think that will be happening!

From what I was told when I purchased my xA was that the cruise control option is part of the no haggle pricing that scion offers. Every dealership has to charge the same amount, regardless of location in the region, but each region may be different.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its rather easy to install, just buy the kit from sparks toyota or some other online vendor. Mines works well still after I found that violet wire in the harness under the glove box.

Just mount the servo by the shock tower on the drivers side, hook cable into throttle cable, cut slight hole in harness going through fire wall above clutch petal, drill small hole in steering collume, insert wires from dongle into steering harness and matching hardware to mount it. Pull harness inside to car from outside tower mount. Plug in brake petal pass through, assemble plugs for dongle control. Used add a circuit fuse in acc fuse spot to power it, pull wires into area behind glove box after removing glove box to install nutral safety and speed wire. TADA, its done.

PS, may want to hook up clutch switch if a stick shift, but not required.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
Its rather easy to install, just buy the kit from sparks toyota or some other online vendor. Mines works well still after I found that violet wire in the harness under the glove box.

Just mount the servo by the shock tower on the drivers side, hook cable into throttle cable, cut slight hole in harness going through fire wall above clutch petal, drill small hole in steering collume, insert wires from dongle into steering harness and matching hardware to mount it. Pull harness inside to car from outside tower mount. Plug in brake petal pass through, assemble plugs for dongle control. Used add a circuit fuse in acc fuse spot to power it, pull wires into area behind glove box after removing glove box to install nutral safety and speed wire. TADA, its done.

PS, may want to hook up clutch switch if a stick shift, but not required.
Thanks. Still trying to decide whether or not I want to install it my self or taking it back to the selling dealer. They said $275 anywhere and if I had any problems bring it back and they would do it for $275. Its almost 3 hours away though.