Dealer options, what's worth it

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Default Dealer options, what's worth it

I'm new to forums and new car buying (all past cars have been from auction) . Now that I have some money I'm looking at the 5speed FM xA . I was wondering what dealer options are really worth getting and what I should get aftermarket. I deff. want a security system, and the spoiler but what about the TRD parts, are any worth it or should I wait.

parts in question

Fog lights
Brushed Grey molded dash... (is it brushed gray or faux CF)
TRD Muffler
also is it poss. to get the auto dimming mirror and the side airbags. (my parents are helping me get this car so i need to get the airbags but i want to get the mirror too.

As far as I can tell the only parts that have to be installed by the dealer are the side airbags, and the spoiler. Plus I'm going to get the upgraded stereo w/ iPOD hook-up for the integration in the c/c (see www.scion.com build an xA). If it does not actually function this way please tell me. I am only getting the upgrade for the iPOD placement.

Last thing THANK YOU to all the people that have been nice to all the noobs (myself included) you are the reason I signed up here . I've seen some other forums and people were major a$$h*($& . thanks again and TIA for the help.

Any forum etiquet that I should know please post.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome! How many mods do you feel comfortable doing yourself?
If you are able, I'd suggest doing all mods aftermarket..Unless it is something you just want to roll into your financing...
Old 03-06-2006, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I'm pretty comfortable doing "easy" mods myself. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and my dad was a mechanic (still is at heart). The problem is, I don't know an easy mod when i see one. I can spot the hard ones mostly, just not the easy ones.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, from what I have seen and heard, almost all of the "dealer option" mods are easy.

Folks here have saved a ton on the security system by doing it themselves...
Old 03-06-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After seeing your edited list, you can do all of that....The fogs come with wiring instructions, you can get either brushed al or CF dash, and there are a lot of muffler choices...depends on your sound preferences..

Just search each of those topics and you will see plenty of opinions..
Old 03-06-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Is the security really that easy to DIY install. I've never actually "modded" a car thought I have rebuilt the shift linkage in a '91 VW Fox . but as for elec. stuff I dunno
Old 03-06-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, definitely go aftermarket and do it yourself. that is, if you're comfortable operating on your new car yourself. SCION rips people off on the accessories.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I deff would prefer the brushed over the "CF" (quotes intentional i love the look of real CF) and i have seen a few places to get all that stuff from 20-50/60% off, it's just the DIY that worries me. But I love that feeling of accomplishment you get from doing/figureing(sp) stuff out yourself so WANT to do as much as i can myself
Old 03-06-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xSTANDxSTRONGx
Is the security really that easy to DIY install. I've never actually "modded" a car thought I have rebuilt the shift linkage in a '91 VW Fox . but as for elec. stuff I dunno
For electrical mods.... disconnect the battery....watch your wiring and enjoy the results!Fuses are put in for a reason...Just relax and enjoy...
Old 03-06-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Thanks man(atee) I was really nearvous about posting and getting ?flamed?/ripped on/ chewed out whatever you wanna call it. I don't know why i've read tons of treads where newbies where treated like long lost friends. but thanks again. As long as stuff as directions I should be fine.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't waste your money on the Scion security system It Sucks. I wasted the money only to find out that I could have got something WAY better for less than 1/2 the price. as for other mods check out after market outlets ebay is good for buying mods I bought my grill,springs and other things for way less than what the dealer would charge. go to the features then tech section on this site for help on most mods they are very helpful. well thats my 2 cents
Old 03-06-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And I'd say a very welcome 2 cents.. thanks for saying it better than I did.....
Old 03-06-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

hey Boxman, do you have any suggestions on a security system, and is there anyway a remote start would work on the 5speed. (my Fox didn't need the clutch down to start, and my cousin in law to be....yeah....has a MT Accord with remote start)
Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You live in So Cal... what, you want to start the car from the house on the 2 days it isn't perfect weather?????
Old 03-06-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

"Weather"?? You've seen this "weather" that you speak of

I go to the bay area a few times a year and also it's just a cool thing to have IMO
Old 03-06-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just happy to have power windows...
Old 03-06-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I'll be happy to have power steering
Old 03-07-2006, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey Boxman, do you have any suggestions on a security system, and is there anyway a remote start would work on the 5speed. (my Fox didn't need the clutch down to start, and my cousin in law to be....yeah....has a MT Accord with remote start)
I'm not sure about a 5 speed auto start but ask Bill at http://www.scionspecialties.net/security.htm I'm sure he can answer any ?'s you have.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LVBoxman
I'm not sure about a 5 speed auto start but ask Bill at http://www.scionspecialties.net/security.htm I'm sure he can answer any ?'s you have.
whoa nice website... i think im going to buy that security system. Anyone know how hard it is? I have neer modded my car before.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok....so I'm a little biased because I sell parts at a Toyota dealer.
Even though we don't have Scion here, I have to recommend factory parts.
They are designed and tested by Toyota. The fit will be as close to perfect as possible. Yes, you do pay for them, but buying from Toyota, Scion, and TRD will encourage further development into performance parts and accessories.
However, if there is something that you can get that is WAY less expensive, go for it, as long as you trust the quality.
For example, the TRD Cold Air Intake for my tC is around $350! I can get most aftemarket ones for $250 or less. I figure it's just some tubing and an air filter. The TRD one can't be THAT much better than anything else.
Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Dealer options, what's worth it