Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Dickering for a new xA

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default Dickering for a new xA

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go with an xA (automatic), and about $2300 worth of add-on accessories.

I'm thinking about going in and paying MSRP but asking for a 15% discount on the accessories which would give me about $350 off.

Does everyone think this is fair?

Thanks.

Ken
Old 11-14-2005, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think that they will bargain with you. As far as I know the price of Scions and all accessories are a set price, and are non-negotiable. You might be able to bargain for the dealer documentation fee, however.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member

Personally, I can't see that the accessories are fixed. They are inflated as all get out in order for the company (and the salesman) to make money. I'm sure I can find some salesman out there willing to sacrifice a bit of his commission.

Ken
Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, they are inflated, but the salesmen hide behind the "pure pricing" because these cars make them the least money as it is. You're better off getting the accessories yourself and installing what you can and relying on the dealership to do the complicated ones. There's better cheaper parts out there, just look around.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't blame you for asking and I would believe me but it aint happening! Pure Pricing is on accessories also and if the salesman decides to discount those accessories for you he will lose some inventory. Its not worth it to the salesman. Good Luck, I wouldn't expect much though.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I'm sure that all the salespeople on these boards can't wait to "sacrifice" some of their income to get your xA order, Ken.

Quote from Scion.com:

Pure Pricing. No Haggle, No hassle makes buying easy.

Why does everyone feel like they have a better way of doing it? The business model is about as simple as it could be, yet people still feel the need to pervert it.

Wanting a discount does not entitle you to one, Ken. If you want to spend 15% less, I would reccomend choosing 15% less accessories.

Just my .02.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JUMBO
I'm sure that all the salespeople on these boards can't wait to "sacrifice" some of their income to get your xA order, Ken.

Quote from Scion.com:

Why does everyone feel like they have a better way of doing it. The business model is about as simple as it could be, yet people still feel the need to pervert it.

Wanting a discount does not entitle you to one, Ken. If you want to spend 15% less, I would reccomend choosing 15% less accessories.

Just my .02.
Maybe I'll just go with a gas-hoggin' SUV or big truck. Then I could haggle the price a bit.

I'm just use to being able to get the salesperson to come down a bit. The other car I'm buying is a Toyota Prius and that's even worse than the xA.

Ken
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Quote from Scion.com:

Why does everyone feel like they have a better way of doing it. The business model is about as simple as it could be, yet people still feel the need to pervert it.

Just my .02.
Good point. No matter what you do to make things better you're always going to have people trying to work an angle here or there. Funny thing though, if they were to be successful and broke down the Pure Price model, it would defeat the effort Toyota put forth with Scion and send people back to wheelin'-and-dealin'. Which they hate.

You just can't make everybody happy! Like Mom always said, "be careful what you ask for".
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

Quote from Scion.com:

Why does everyone feel like they have a better way of doing it? The business model is about as simple as it could be, yet people still feel the need to pervert it.

Just my .02.
Also, why is wanting the best price possible, perversion??

Ken
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by kente777
I'm just use to being able to get the salesperson to come down a bit. The other car I'm buying is a Toyota Prius and that's even worse than the xA.

Ken
It's unfortunate when paying the sticker price for a car is considered 'bad', yet we do it on bottled water, sliced bread, and ball point pens everyday with no complaint.

I know it's years and years of conditioning that have fostered this attitude, but people have got to realize that No Haggle, No Hassle is a better business model, hands down.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Quote from Scion.com:

Just my .02.
Also, why is wanting the best price possible, perversion??

Ken
That's my point. The posted price is the best price. Wanting to somehow haggle around that model is where it gets perverted.

We all want to best price possible for the goods we buy, Ken. The benefit with Scion is that with the Posted Prices, you can decide for yourself whether or not it is a valuable purchase for you to make from the outset. You know everything up front, and it becomes an either yes or no question.

People just insist on making it more difficult than it has to be.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Dickering for a new xA

I'm thinking about going in and paying MSRP but asking for a 15% discount on the accessories ...........
Yes the No Haggle price is what Ken said he's paying MSRP for. The question is for a discount on the accessories. Ken all you can do is ask! I've bought accessories from the dealership I bought my car from and yes, they did come down on the price! Maybe I'm special! But I too, would suggest finding them online and saving yourself a wad of money.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by scallywagger
I'm thinking about going in and paying MSRP but asking for a 15% discount on the accessories ...........
Yes the No Haggle price is what Ken said he's paying MSRP for. The question is for a discount on the accessories. Ken all you can do is ask! I've bought accessories from the dealership I bought my car from and yes, they did come down on the price! Maybe I'm special! But I too, would suggest finding them online and saving yourself a wad of money.
Somehow.... I don't believe you.

No offense! Just don't think it happened. I wouldn't discount anything for anybody. Not even family. A.) We sell all our cars each month. Why bother discounting? B.) There are four dealers I know of that got slapped for 30% of their inventory for being stupid with the Scion process. It just is not worth it.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bbcrud
Somehow.... I don't believe you.
I have nothing to gain by making things up. All I'm saying is that it doesn't hurt to try. All they could do is say notta or you could be special too.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the real issue is not that the prices may or may not be fixed... it really boils down to would they bargain if they could? I don't think so... in my part of the country, as well as most places in the country, there is a waiting list to buy any Scion.

It's the same with the Prius... Toyota can bargain with price, but I bet that almost everyone who buys a Prius is paying MSRP or higher because of the demand.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
DelMarVa

I went back to my deler after I bought my xA and got a cargo net for about $20 less than if I had got it when I bought the car. I just looked on my dealer's website and the cargo net goes for $49 and I got it for $28.50 from their parts department about a month ago. My dealer has auctions on ebay for some accessories and the prices are much lower than the "pure price" that I would have paid at the time I purchased the car.

I contacted my dealer's on-line parts store and they are even willing to let me use my $50 gift card to purchase accessories form them.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

While the whole "pure price" thing makes buying easy, it is definitely an advantage to the dealer. No one here is gonna tell me that the dealer's just scrapin' by to make a profit especially on those accessory prices.

Also, I think the whole "doc fee" thing is a crock. At least one salesman was honest enough to tell me that the fee was nothing more than pure profit for the owner.

I'm going to buy an xA because I like it and the MSRP is within my budget right now, but I'm not happy that I can't pit one dealer against another in the accessory department, especially since I'm purchasing over $2000 of inflated accessory pricing.

Ken
Old 11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't say that the dealers are hurting in the way of profits on the Scions, but I would hesitatet that it is a bigger advantage to the dealer with pure price. The average gross profit on a scion (front and back) is about $900 where on a Toyota it is more like $1,600. It really depends on the customer who the advantage is too. For someone like yourself who likes to negotiate and is good at it, pure price works out better for the dealer. In the case of the customer who is not good at negotiating or has bad credit (thats where the dealers really make the money), pure pricing is a major advantage to the customer. You have to remember that the Scion line was made to appeal to the 1st time car buyer and what better way to bring them in by putting them at ease with the process and not leave them feeling like they got screwed. The majority of the people that complain about pure pricing are not target demographic that Toyota had in mind when they came up with it. What you have to remember is that not everyone is like you when it comes to negotiating, car dealers haggle every day while the average customer only does it once every 3-4 years. Who has the upper hand there?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

Sure the deck is stacked in the dealers favor. Pushed enough and with good enough credit you can get them to move on the price. If nothing else the instant profit dealer fees can go first. Getting discounts on the accessories should be no problem, They wont be huge but check around you can find what the dealers pay for these things. Just remember that alot of the parts you buy from the dealer include installation
Old 11-17-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blue_Bean
Sure the deck is stacked in the dealers favor. Pushed enough and with good enough credit you can get them to move on the price. If nothing else the instant profit dealer fees can go first. Getting discounts on the accessories should be no problem, They wont be huge but check around you can find what the dealers pay for these things. Just remember that alot of the parts you buy from the dealer include installation

What dealer is doing that? Please let me know, I would love to get some of their inventory when they get caught!

By the way Scion has added to the covenant that dealer fees MUST be posted on the price menu, which means if they waive it for one customer now they have to do it for everyone.

Quick Reply: Dickering for a new xA