Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Dreaded Chain DIY

Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member

Default Dreaded Chain DIY

Hello all, thought I'd pull my first post and it's a doozy. Timing chain went out in my girlfriend's XA (2005). She turned it off right away and said it sounded like a chain smacking around in the engine bay, so my best guess is a timing chain, but I have yet to pull it apart. It's currently sitting on stands and I am draining the fluids. Tomorrow I'll be taking off the valve cover and looking at the internals.
Just wanted to know a couple of things. Are these interference or noninterference motors? I'm hoping not to have to replace any valves. From what I've seen/read I just open up the valve cover and then the timing chain cover, although, I'm not sure how this part would work. Any one have any resources for this? I've searched everywhere and came up with nothing other than for an XB or TC. I'm sure the engines are the same, but just wanted to make sure. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

You'll find more information looking up a first gen xB or a Toyota Echo. A tC will have nothing you need for reference.

The engine IS interference, and if it did really throw a chain, then you'll need to check everything out to make sure you didn't bend valves or do any other damage.

The nice thing is, 1NZ engines are usually pretty darned cheap and usually run issue free for an endless amount of time. If you threw a chain, save the money and buy a used engine, unless you want to build yours back up to hold some boost. ;)

On the OTHER hand, you could just sell me the car as is and you wont have to spend any money to fix it. :D