Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Looking at Xa and Honda Fit can't decide.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member

Default Looking at Xa and Honda Fit can't decide.

I've been lurking for awhile and am posting now to get some opinions.

Today I test drove a Fit base AT and Xa AT. They both had about the same power more or less. I will definately get a MT though. I like the interior better on the Xa except for the center gauge pod. I am kind of afraid that I'd run it out of gas because I'd never be looking over there. Plus I would never be driving the correct speed to be agreeable to my wife, but that's probably a whole other issue. I am still waiting to see the interior of a Fit Sport though.
The Xa is more aggressive looking on the exterior, which is good. The utility of the Fit is pretty cool and it comes with some things that are options on the Xa.
Being that the Xa is cheaper I can afford to put some springs, wheels, and maybe and exhaust or something. I cant believe the Xa doesn't come with keyless entree though, and to get it you have to get a $500 package. Any ideas what an aftermarket alarm costs that would unlock the car and maybe have remote start?

So what draws you to the Scion over other cars?
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No you don't have to pay $500, get a good aftermarket one through ScionSpecialities.

Keyless Entry Only

The rest of their security products.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We're in the exact same position. I'm also trying to decide between the MT Scion xA and the MT Honda Fit, but I'm now heavily leaning towards the xA.

It's definitely a close match though. The xA is a little cheaper unless you really option up the xA. I want the spoiler, remote keyless entry, foglights, and leather steering wheel which brings the equipment level to about the same as the Fit Sport, and then the price is about the same. I was going to get cruise control on the xA, but when I saw the unit installed in a car, it was a little too close to where my knee is, so I decided it wouldn't be worth worrying about hitting the stalk with my knee for the few times I would use cruise control.

The real advantage of the Honda Fit is in cargo room. The passenger volume is about the same (I think the xA has slightly more), but the area behind the rear seats in the Fit is substantially larger (about twice as large). Thus, when you fold down the rear seats, you also have a larger cargo area in the Fit. The Fit also has tall mode and refresh mode which I don't care that much about, but it does add versatility.

I also think the interior of the Honda Fit looks more upscale. However, I don't really like the material of the seats. The seats also don't seem as sporty on the Fit. Overall though, I'd say the Fit has the better interior.

Both cars are likely to be very reliable. They are very similar in fuel economy, passenger space, and IMO, similar in performance and handling just from test drives. I have found no professional reviews where they compare the performance of the two vehicles though.

In my opinion, the xA destroys the Honda Fit in exterior styling. The Honda Fit looks very much to me like a miniature mini van. The xA seems much more aggressive with slight fender bulges and more tapering in at the top of the car. It's not as good as a Mini Cooper, but does have some styling elements that remind me of the Mini.

So for me, it comes down to the nicer styling of the xA versus the cargo space of the Fit and nicer Fit interior. The interior styling isn't that big of a deal to me. The cargo space would be nice.

I just can't get over the styling difference though. I really want to buy the Fit for the better cargo versatility, but the thing is just so bland looking, so minivan like. They are both economy cars, but at least the xA looks like a little more than just an economy car. I think the styling is going to push me to buy the xA.

I don't need to get the car anytime soon. For me, the point of the new car is to be my daily driver which gets good gas mileage and saves miles on my more expensive car. If you need to get a car soon, I believe the wait for hte MT Honda Fit is supposed to be very long. I think the waits are something like 3 months or more. Even if you are picky on color, I think the most you'd wait on the MT xA is 6 - 9 weeks. That may or may not be a concern for you.

It's a tough choice. I don't think you would go wrong either way. My vote would be the xA, but if you actually like the look of the Fit better (I know a good lasik surgeon) or don't care about the styling, the Fit would be a good option
Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forgot to mention the center gauges. These are very easy to get used to. Alot of people who've lived with the center gauges seem to like them better. When you first see the vehicle, it may seem wrong. However, you will almost assuredly get used to them and not have any issue. I have a navigation system I use on my car which I put roughly where the center gauges are on the xA. The system shows my speed as well as the map. When I have it in my car, I notice myself checking my speed on the navigation system as opposed to the standard location car gauges because it is in a more natural place. My suggestion is to not view the center gauges as a negative.

On the other hand, your wife will be able to see your speed easier, which could be a negative.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The fit needs a good bit done to it to look good. Even then, it doesn't even look that great.

xA only needs a slight drop and some wheels, and bam! it looks great,
Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive
The fit needs a good bit done to it to look good. Even then, it doesn't even look that great.

xA only needs a slight drop and some wheels, and bam! it looks great,
I have to agree. The Fit with the sport-pac looks decent. But the plain-Jane version looks like road poop.

Just to add to the center gauge comments....as others have said, you will get used to it. I spend most of the week driving the xA. So much time, in fact, that when I drive my wife's Sienna at night I almost find the gauges distracting because they are right in front of me.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well, the xA has the fit beat in everything in my opinion. the fit is just ugly, and you need to spend quite a bit to mod it and make it look good. the xA mods arent that expensive and theyre readily available for scion-life members (check the sponsored sales and classifieds!). the center gauges take a while to get used to, but i love them now almost 2 years later. i didnt opt for the scion security system, but i actually got an LCD pager 2-way remote security system with remote start installed the other day for $199 (including installation) and it works great. its a generic 2-way security system with remote start, and the remote is an LCD screen pager, which is cool. you can find these at any local car store or best buys and circuit citys. the fit sport DOES look ok, but even then it looks ugly i think. i just modded my xA the past few weeks (injen cold air intake, tanabe df210 2" lowering springs, luminics pure blue HID-look 6000k headlight bulbs, clear bumper lenses and side markers with white bulbs, and im looking into getting an exhaust). once you get an xA, you can either leave it stock and youll still enjoy it or you can start modding it and have tons of fun that way. scion is known to be very customizable, and this draws in many people. the fit and finish is pure toyota, and i have had no problems thus far with the exception of the poor paint quality (see thread in this same forum). go for the xA, you wont be disappointed at all. any other questions you have, post away because the beautiful thing about scionlife is that theres so many people that are willing to help you and convince you to get a scion!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fit looks good to me. but looks outdated. everything in the honda line looks like the new civic. the fit looks like something from the late 90's.

which brings me to the fact that you're paying for an "old" car. the fit has been out for awhile in japan and now just selling it here. it's also more expensive the the xa.

i do think fit sport interior is better than the xa tho...
Old 07-17-2006, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the replies.
I agree the Xa looks better, the base Fit made me think I was in a rental Aveo or something. At this point I am leaning towards the Xa, but I am hoping to see a Fit sport this week and we'll see if that changes my mind. I think it looks lots better than the base, but I am really concerned if the interior seems better.
It looks like there are quite a few enthusiasts in my area which is always fun. I don't know if I'll get back into auto-x or not with it. I have been traditionally a VW guy but they have priced out of the market for me. I know some people haven't had good luck with the reliability of newer ones to. My 95 had very few problems though.
I am looking mostly for a commuter that I can do a few things to and it will look good going down the road and save a bit on gas compared to my truck.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think the Fit was out when we bought our 06 xA back in February. As to the center gauges, for the first 20 minutes of driving I had to consciously look for the gauges, then it became a non-issue. I actually like it better for night driving as there isn't any stray light near the view.

Make sure you drive a manual tranny of each flavor to make sure you can live with them.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Scion security system does include keyless entry. You should be able to get the Scion Security system for around $350.00 if I remember correctly, and it not part of a package. It should be an individual option. Sounds like your dealer is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Also, make sure that the dealer in not trying to subsitute the Scion Security for another aftermarket brand.

Now on to the Fit.

* Why does Honda insist on charging extra for the rear cargo cover??? (nearly $200)
* 14" wheels on the base model???
* No MP3/WMA capability on the base model???
* The paddle shifter on the automatic seemed more gimmicky than useful

We test drove the Fit and several xA. We would probably have the Fit except for...

- My wife felt that the seating postion was to low
- She prefers the xA
- Nearly 3 month wait
- No dealers willing to sell for less than MSRP. Some actually asking considerably more than MSRP.

We drove the Fit Sport Automatic $17k, and although I've grown to love the xA. I liked the Fit. IMO, the Fit dash area looked more upscale. The seats aren't as nice as the xA's and they don't have the thigh bolsters like the xA.

Performance wise the xA might be slightly better.

If you can get the dealer to "deal" on the price, you'll probably be just as happy with the Fit. On the other hand, the xA is very nice also. Thus far, I've only added wheels and you wouldn't believe how many people continually stop my wife and I and comment:

-What kind of car is that?
- It's so cute?
- How much does it cost?
- Is that a new model?

Old 07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

another thing you should take into consideration that is very overlooked is to see what kind of community youd be entering by becoming a scion owner. i know that may sound stupid and stuff, but as soon as i got my scion and joined scion life, i was united with tons of other scion owners and it made me feel a lot more comfortable owning the car. when you see other scion drivers, you get acknowledgements. you talk to other owners at shows, and even here on scionlife you meet many people in your area and around the country and you can talk about things that have nothing to do with scion. you cant get that with honda. my cousins have had civics in the past and they said that they just blend into the crowd. i know the fit IS different and new and all, but i dont think youll have the same sense of belonging to a giant community like you will with a scion. i was hesitant at first to get my xA, but i wont lie when i say that communities like scion life helped make my decision easier. hope that helps, just another side-note regarding the xA that may help you out a little. you will not be unhappy with your scion, i dont know of many people that are. go for the xA
Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member

I have noticed a difference in the communities, at least what I've seen on the few message boards I have lurked on. I also went to the regional part of this site and am pleased to see the size of the crowd there, and the age is pretty broad too.
Today may be the day I decide though, the Honda dealer called and they will have the car I am looking at come in today or tomorrow. I found a used Xa MT that I may go drive just so I can test a MT, and also see what kind of shape it is in after 12K.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of standard stuff on the Fit. Never drove a Fit but I've read the Noise-Vibration levels are low than expected of other econoboxes.

The Fit, although advertised of being small outside big inside is not that big. The rear seats along with the headroom makes you feel really cramped and "boxed in." I do like the Fit's wider/longer cargo area vs. the xA and xB. Quality is typical econoboxes. The rear footwells are angled...very odd.

You want to shop around since some Honda dealers are jacking up prices or encouraging you to buy the Fit Sport due to high cost of gas.

I don't like the push up door handles on the Fit. Yeah my xB has them as well but I expected that from a car designed in the mid-90s. I was hoping Honda would update the door handles and make it more identical to xA or most modern cars.

The xA looks more Euro (low w/wide-body) while the Fit looks too Japanese (narrow and tall). Yeah I know both cars are made in Japan.

-my 2cents
Old 07-21-2006, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member

Well I ended up getting the Fit sport. The interior was a lot better than the base and with the manual it is pretty quick actually. It really could have gone either way, and if the Scion dealer would've had an Xa in stock the day I went there I probably would have ended up with that.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats!

Glad you got the sport model......WAY better looking than the base.....like 2 different cars!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^but still ugly
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All the guys on Fitfreak.net act like you can't get a Fit Sport Manual for months. I guess that is not totally true.

Good luck with the car. Either one was a good choice.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member

I work at a Honda dealership, and I was thinking of getting a Fit because it was around the same price range I wanted & a hatchback. Biggest prob where I'm at is that we have none, they are hard to get a hold of since they are selling like crazy. I needed a new car right away, since it's summertime and my AC in my old car did'nt work so we got the Xa after waiting 2 weeks for it to come in. I'm not sure how long our waiting list is for the Fit, but probably a month or more.
Everyone thinks it's funny I did'nt buy Honda cuz I work at one, but would'nt have gave me that much of a discount & Scion seemed like a better deal to me, I like the look & the MP3/Ipod playback.

After reading posts I guess the Fit is more available in some places than others, since here they are few.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fit vs. XA

We went thru the same decision process on both cars and it came down to the fact that our Toyota dealer has always treated us like GOLD, and the Honda dealer 1/4 mile away has just a so-so reputation. It also helped in negotiating when my wife mentioned that I was seriously considering the Fit, we got a lot more on our trade, and the XA was just sitting there vs. waiting 2 months for a Fit. All in all very happy, really wanted to stay with Toyota, and our dealer.

Quick Reply: Looking at Xa and Honda Fit can't decide.