My poor MPG in the xA..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CrimsonO2
I've got the Enkei 17's on my RS1 and all this talk about fuel efficiency has me wondering on whether I should put 15's on the car instead. At her best day my RS1 only gets to 28-29mpgs. Those of you getting these nice 35+ mpg's are you doing them on 15's/17's? What psi are your tires at for the aforementioned sizes? I'm honestly getting some mpg envy seeing auto xA's with those kinds of mpg numbers being thrown about.

Running stock wheels and tires....for now. Not sure what the exact pressure is right now. right around the 35npg 06 5 spd
Old 07-08-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Such a shame many people's first response is to sue. That is one major problem with our legal system.

To any one who thinks suing is a viable means of geting your way and wasting the company's time and resource you have a couple of things to worry about.

1. Was the motor broke in properly, or was it even broke in?
2. Do you have proof beyond a reasonable doubt the product in question is faulty.
3. Did you take all neccasary measures to correct this problem if there is even one.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scorpius01
Such a shame many people's first response is to sue. That is one major problem with our legal system.

To any one who thinks suing is a viable means of geting your way and wasting the company's time and resource you have a couple of things to worry about.

2. Do you have proof beyond a reasonable doubt the product in question is faulty.
3. Did you take all neccasary measures to correct this problem if there is even one.
That's only one major problem. I can think of several high ranking people that are they totally above our legal system. This is America and she comes with all the freedoms that our fore fathers fought for. Don't like it, don't let the door hit in the a$$ on the way out.
BTW: I've never sued anyone.

Here's the single biggest issue that my children will inherit:
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
All the lawsuits in the world will never add up to the misery this is going to cause.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Grateful11

That's only one major problem. I can think of several high ranking people that are they totally above our legal system. This is America and she comes with all the freedoms that our fore fathers fought for. Don't like it, don't let the door hit in the a$$ on the way out.

All the lawsuits in the world will never add up to the misery this is going to cause.

There are many problems with the legal system, alot of which I will not get into here. Poor behavior should not be jusified because 'Our forefatheres fought for it', that is just an excuse that ignorant people hide behind to justify thier ignorance. I don't care if you have sued anybody or not I was not responding to you.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A) As I explained before in this thread I have not gone over 65 MPH in it at all and have been easy on the acceleration.
B) Wow. Are you a moron? If the motor had continued to get 21MPG then obviously it was the motor that had an issue; however that isn't the case because my gas mileage has been increasing.
C) The only measure I would need to take is to take it in to the dealer and tell them to fix it. The only other thing you can do is adjust your driving if there is a problem. If the dealer had refused to fix it and I was getting 21 MPG then yes I would probably sue because the motor most likely has something wrong with it.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CrimsonO2
I've got the Enkei 17's on my RS1 and all this talk about fuel efficiency has me wondering on whether I should put 15's on the car instead. At her best day my RS1 only gets to 28-29mpgs. Those of you getting these nice 35+ mpg's are you doing them on 15's/17's? What psi are your tires at for the aforementioned sizes? I'm honestly getting some mpg envy seeing auto xA's with those kinds of mpg numbers being thrown about.
I average about 28-29 MPG now with my XA....Maybe it's the gas out here in Tustin/Irvine?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are many problems with the legal system, alot of which I will not get into here. Poor behavior should not be jusified because 'Our forefatheres fought for it', that is just an excuse that ignorant people hide behind to justify thier ignorance. I don't care if you have sued anybody or not I was not responding to you.
The last time I looked this was an open public forum for anyone that is registered here.
BTW: Learn to spell.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheUglyOne

A) As I explained before in this thread I have not gone over 65 MPH in it at all and have been easy on the acceleration.
B) Wow. Are you a moron? If the motor had continued to get 21MPG then obviously it was the motor that had an issue; however that isn't the case because my gas mileage has been increasing.
C) The only measure I would need to take is to take it in to the dealer and tell them to fix it. The only other thing you can do is adjust your driving if there is a problem. If the dealer had refused to fix it and I was getting 21 MPG then yes I would probably sue because the motor most likely has something wrong with it.
He didn't bother reading the whole thread, he just picked out the parts he wanted. Typical selective reading.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He didn't bother reading the whole thread, he just picked out the parts he wanted. Typical selective reading.
That's kind of what I got.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two things I have found that effect fuel economy is the 10% ethanol gas and acceleration rate. You use real gas and be hte last one off the line, you are getting 40 mpg for sizzle.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can think of several high ranking people that are they totally above our legal system.

bawahwahhawaahhhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaa, learn to spell. You sure told me.
Check your sentence construction befor attempting to deliver a low blow.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't referring to the continuation of poor fuel economy, I was referring to the fact you had a brand new car and you were ready to sue.

The EPA reviews the MPG on every vehicle sold in the US. Any automobile manufacturer can take those numbers and use them. When they use them you will see, for example, EPA rated 34 mpg. It is not false advertising. By using EPA next to the mileage rating it now becomes a legal disclaimer in which they cannot be sued for false advertising as far as MPG rating is concerned. Check out the testing procedures for yourself.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not if they advertise the car for 30 MPG on their website with nothing about EPA estimates.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
Two things I have found that effect fuel economy is the 10% ethanol gas and acceleration rate. You use real gas and be hte last one off the line, you are getting 40 mpg for sizzle.
but don't all gas stations in california have a certain ethanol content?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if the xA is expected to get in the 30's for mileage and he is getting 21 then something is WRONG with the car and needs to be checked. It should not burn more fuel than the typical car for no reason and if something is wrong it should be corrected before damage occurs. If it burns too much fule there has to be someplace for all that heat and fuel to be going either it is not burning properly causing emmission problems or it is generating a LOT of heat somewhere that will cause a problem - long term - if not corrected. That is why a simple tail pipe check and noting how fast the engine warms up as well as any excessive heat being generated is important to do. I had a problem with my last car when the mileage started dropping - it turned out that the right left front brake was dragging and overheated the wheel bearings.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I still want to bring it in to the dealer and have them look at it...it's just going to have to wait though because I have summer school right now and need a car
Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

my personal experience:

i drive nearly a thousand miles every week. i purchased the xA new on May 22nd, and I've got a little over 6000 miles on the dial. because i drive for a living, i note the fuel economy on every tank of gas.

i'll be honest; i deliver pizza in a fairly hilly suburban area and i drive like i'm autocrossing nearly ALL of the time. i rarely see fifth gear, my air conditioning is ALWAYS on from april to october, and i use 87 octane gas from GetGo. for the non-locals, GetGo is a discount gasoline chain and absolute rubbish fuel.

i get about 26 mpg. if i fill up at Citgo, sometimes I see 28mpg.

Due to the lack of a proper fifth gear (or a much needed sixth gear), I only do slightly better than that on the highway.

now to my questions: does the echo have a taller fifth gear, and if so, has anyone swapped it (or the entire gearbox) into a scion? i'd gladly give up a little bit of acceleration for better highway mileage.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive more agressive and am fine with 37.1 mpg vs 40. I too think a 6th gear may not be a bad idea, but then again I like it being in the power band for interstate driving. Amazing you can still get 40mpg while doing 4 grand. I know on the jetta you can switch the final gear out, but that makes the high gear for maintaining speed only, for any acceleration you have to up shift.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have the same engine in the xA as the xB and my 5 speed xB turns 3130rpm at 60mph and I average over 42mpg since I baught it over a year and a half ago with almost 15,000 miles now (40 to go) and on some trips I get 50mpg so when the smaller xA is only getting 21 then something is seriously wrong with something!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not if they advertise the car for 30 MPG on their website with nothing about EPA estimates.
Take another look. When you pull the mileage estimates there is a disclaimer asterix * and a disclaimer link below stating that those mileage figures are EPA estimates.

http://www.scion.com/#xASpecs_mileageEstimates

Quick Reply: My poor MPG in the xA..