Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Question about a dash light

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 PM

Default Question about a dash light

Back in April I bought used XA that so far has been a great car. The previous owner did routine maintenance and when I got it, it had just had an oil change. About 4-5k miles later the maintenance reqd light would briefly flash when I would start the car and go away. I figured it was time for another oil change. I did the oil change and the light would still flash when starting then go away. Now a few weeks after the oil change the light stays on all the time. I have a Bluetooth odb2 scanner and it doesn't read any errors. My car runs and drives like normal, any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you change your own oil, you'll need to reset the oil change light yourself. It will come back in like 4k or 5k miles I think. To let you know to change it again. If you have another vehicle you change your own oil on, there are methods for every vehicle to do this (usually differently)

Your scanner won't read any code because there is no trouble reading from any sensors

I found a couple posts with better directions then what I was going to sayyyy:

Originally Posted by scionlife
Contributed by eric m.

After you've driven your Scion for a few thousand miles, you will see a "maintenance required" orange light flash for a few seconds in the center display console every time you start your car. Do not be alarmed. this is just a reminder to have your oil changed. If you change your own oil, you can reset the light. here is how:
1. Turn on the ignition and make sure it is on your odometer display, not the trip display.
2. Turn off your ignition. Hold down the trip meter reset button and turn the ignition on. Keep the button pushed in.
3. The maintenance required light will flash for a few seconds. when it turns off, let go of the reset button.

The the display will change for 1 second and go back to the mileage. That's it.
And to set your miles!

Originally Posted by boilerman
In case you didn't know and would like to use this function, when you hold the odometer reset **** and turn on the ignition, 5 bars in the odometer display flash and then sequentially go out. Each of these bars represents 1k miles. If you want to set the light to come on in 3k miles, let go of the reset **** with 2 bars remaining. 4k with 1 bar remaining and so on. Each bar that goes out will be 1k miles before the light comes on.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:50 AM

Thanks, I set the light to 3k miles since i changed my oil about 1-2 k ago.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, so it worked then! Awesome to hear it Love hearing people take care of their cars!
Old 07-16-2015, 01:02 AM

What interval with easy driving is recommended on oil changes? I drive about 500 miles a week but most are highway
Old 07-16-2015, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always say every 3 months or 3,000 miles which ever comes first. To some it might be overkill, or only recommended with engines running boost. But that's what I think it's the best interval for me however!

Factory says "5,000 Miles or 6 months" so you can do that to and be good =)

But considering the 500 a week, it could be safe to go with 3,000. The constant heat might cause quicker thermal breakdown of the oil, but I'm no professional with that. I could be proven completely wrong in a single post. Just an uneducated guess.

Last edited by StxArOne; 07-16-2015 at 05:09 AM.