Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Question re: satellite installation in my Xa

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Question re: satellite installation in my Xa

The radio in my Xa says that its "satellite ready" - what exactly does this mean? Does this mean that I don't have to buy the satellite equipment from the satellite radio provider, or does this mean that I do but that my antennae is satellite ready? I'm seriously considering getting either Sirius or XM and I'll probably get it sooner if that means I don't have to actually purchase the equipment.

My second question concerns the installation itself. What is the process like, and where do I go? Can I simply get it done at my Toyota dealership?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Satellite ready means that if you buy satellite through the dealer, it is a fairly easy hookup.

However, I would recommend NOT buying through the dealer. It is overpriced and the headunit doesn't display it very well. I just installed Sirius in my tC this weekend. The install is fairly easy. The hardest part was figuring out where I wanted to put my antenna and display unit. You can get satellite radio MUCH cheaper buy getting it at Best Buy or somewhere similar and having some friends help install it. It really isn't that hard.

You can PM me if you need any help with recommendations on satellite units or how to install them.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by THansenite
Satellite ready means that if you buy satellite through the dealer, it is a fairly easy hookup.

However, I would recommend NOT buying through the dealer. It is overpriced and the headunit doesn't display it very well. I just installed Sirius in my tC this weekend. The install is fairly easy. The hardest part was figuring out where I wanted to put my antenna and display unit. You can get satellite radio MUCH cheaper buy getting it at Best Buy or somewhere similar and having some friends help install it. It really isn't that hard.

You can PM me if you need any help with recommendations on satellite units or how to install them.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

See, I was hoping to avoid the expense of buying the actual satellite unit itself for my Xa (until the prices decreased), and simply connecting through my existing stereo. Honestly, I don't care much about all the display bells and whistles at this point because eventually I want to get a nice unit w/ portability that I can connect to my stereo at home.

Do you have any suggestions on a lesser expensive portable unit? And, how do I hook it up, through the auxillary jack in my Xa?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I bought the Sirius Sportster 4 which is (I think) the newest one they have. It was $150 with $60 in rebates from Best Buy. I think that the new xA's have an auxilary port and you can plug the unit into that for clear sound. I have an 05 tC with no auxilary jack so I had to order an input modulator for my stock headunit to plug in my Sirius. You should be able to avoid this though.

I spent about 6 hours in my car this weekend driving and loved every minute of it with my Sportster 4 and hightly recommend it. It is a little more expensive than some units, but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by THansenite
I bought the Sirius Sportster 4 which is (I think) the newest one they have. It was $150 with $60 in rebates from Best Buy. I think that the new xA's have an auxilary port and you can plug the unit into that for clear sound. I have an 05 tC with no auxilary jack so I had to order an input modulator for my stock headunit to plug in my Sirius. You should be able to avoid this though.

I spent about 6 hours in my car this weekend driving and loved every minute of it with my Sportster 4 and hightly recommend it. It is a little more expensive than some units, but well worth it in my opinion.
Thanks again -

Hopefully I can check it out either this weekend or next weekend. I drive about 600 miles on the weekends and a lot of it is through the desert and I was hoping to get satellite radio. I think it'll make my ride a lot more bearable! I'll check out the Sportster 4 online - Thanks again for your suggestions.