2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Rolled my xA...oh gosh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rolled my xA...oh gosh.

This is one of those rare time I post here, been lurking around for a while.

Drove home last weekend about 12:30am from my gf house, went thru a toll booth, took my seat belt off to get to my wallet. I thought about putting it back on but only 3 miles to my apartment. While resume my normal speed I thought just leave it off already, what am I? scare of a ticket?

Well that's when **** was starting to hit the fence

Out of nowhere a god damn baby deer came into my view, mind you I was doing like 55 , that little ____ was like 25 feet away from my car. Eye wide open looking right at me and didn't bother to move...the damn thing just stood there, eyes glistenly stare. I took the steering wheel and gave it a good yank on the right...oh fudge

I could feel the xA started swayed left and right pretty hard as I tried to steer the car back in control. I went over the curb with a loud BOOM and continue plowing on the grass. That jump over the curb threw me right out of the seat. My right hand still holding on the the steering wheel, I hit my head on the ceiling a few times, another one on the windshield and ended up thrown over on the passenger seat. I was tossing about a few more times, came to rest sitting on the passenger side door. As my soul came back I saw the steering wheel is right above me, out of the driver side window is the star filled sky. Well that was something you don't see everyday.

Thinking the xA must be on fire by now (though it wasn't.) I put my foot on the center console, I stood up tried to push the driver side door up open with both my hands. The damn thing weight a ton and wouldn't budge (i thought may be the lock got jamb or something) Put my head under it with both my hand helping, one janking the door lever, it finally flipped up. I climbed out terrified as ****.

Cop came shortly, the tow truck came half an hour later. I stood shivering not sure it was the scares or the cold.

Total damaged including 3 of the 19" TRD bent with tires busted. The front passenger fender has a big kink, the right mirror was gone. The rear right quater panel has three huge dents. The windshield was exploded with spider webs everywhere.

The effing tow truck driver wanted $404 to flip the car back and drive me three mile to my apartment. Good thing I wasn't bleeding or anything. That xA did a great job, I've got to say.

Will update pic next week
Old 03-19-2006, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member

Sorry to hear that, remember to put on your seat-belt next time it can save your life. Good to hear that you are fine
Old 03-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You were lucky.

If you had been wearing your seatbelt you might not have lost control, though.

Next time you'll be wearing it, right?

Your xA did everything it could to save your tail. Good little car.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A story like this makes me feel a billion times glad I got the xA.. sounds like you rolled it once or twice? Glad to hear you are ok and next time, safety first, wear a belt
Old 03-20-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. Reading this thread gave me the chills. I'm sorry everything had to happen.

I'm glad you're okay. I'm also glad you've learned that people wear seat belts not to avoid a ticket, but to protect themselves.

By the way, you write a vivid story.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wow man i sorry to hear this. im the same way. im like a mile down the road and wont put my belt back on. ill do it from now on, cuz no matter how close you are to home anything could happen.

im glad to hear your ok and no one is really hurt. hope you get the 'A back on the road soon
Old 03-20-2006, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah..still kinda shock I wasn't all that bruised up. My neck feel kinda funny though...probaly have it check out soon.
I agree with y'all about the seat belt thing, no doubt about it. The xA wouldn't flip if I wasn't bracing myself to the steering wheel while busy rolling and tumbling. It coulda been much worst. Most rolled car accident stories ended up sharing between hospital beds or the physical therapy sessions.
Called the insurance the other day, looks like things gonna get better.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah dude....and people want to turbo an xA....ha ha I laugh the car is kinda unstable prone to roll and slip right from under it's self....I totalled my first xA too....so what can I say drive with respect....keep that seatbelt on and slow down.. I think the weight of the vehicle has a lot to do with it, front wheel drive, and no thing realy holding down the rear....

What's right about it..it's hella safe but the possibility of losing it in a low speed 30-55 mph evasive action keeps me totally aware when I'm driving mine.....turbo??? no thanks...I wait til I get my 350z which kinda has a same kinda weird easy to total thing too. I had 2 friends lose there's...oh well....be careful out there.!! thank God your ok.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

reasons to lower the xa imo. also being able to set your car up to spinout i'd say is better than rolling. maybe you would have been better off taking the head on with bambi.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"most accidents happen within 2 miles of your home"
I guess its still true...

glad to hear you're ok...get that neck checked out ASAP
Old 03-21-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by dexter_5000
reasons to lower the xa imo. also being able to set your car up to spinout i'd say is better than rolling. maybe you would have been better off taking the head on with bambi.
Exactly what I was going to say. Having a tighter and lower suspension will greatly reduce your center of gravity and keep you firmly planted on the road. :D
Old 03-21-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

having your roll center below the pavement will allow your car to spin out before it actually rolls over not sure if this is possible to be setup in the xa but something to think about.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I noted these characteristics back in November when I tagged a telephone pole.

I crested an undulating hill at 60 only to find that it had quite a sharp turn at the top and in my quest to keep it from going straight into the trees I cut it hard to the right. The car spun 180 degrees and I overcorrected but only to have it come back around and spin into a small ditch and slide across the street to strike a telephone pole.

That scared the poopie out of me, and caused 2700 in damages, most of it to correct all the damage to the paint. But she never wanted to roll at all. I owe a lot of that to the stiffer springs and the rear sway bar.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the Eibach Pro Kit installed not long ago. That gimme like 1.5" lower all around. Still have to clear my 19" TRD wheels. If that wan't enough, I put a 1" wheel spacers on the rear to give it an extra wide foot (not to mention it looks great with the 19" wheel package).
Does the rear sway bar really help? I know it's the bar that do anti-swaying, but how?

Sorry to hear you smashed your ride too Uber. I hope you're OK.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Ra
5 Year Member
SL Member

ask yourselft this... next time do you hit the deer, or overreact on the steering wheel?

I'll try my best to miss hitting the deer, brakes, turning, but my brain knows at what speed oversteering could hurt. I learned it the hard way and now you have to.

I would imagine your brain will put 2 and 2 together if it ever happens again. And next time you'll be washing bloody deer and replacing a headlight, not totaling your car.

Glad you're alright, but seriously, next time... **** that deer.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:00 AM
Banned
SL Member

55-60 mph Hit by a dump truck. Wearing a seat belt. Seat belt kept me inposition to drive what i could.

That said. If the Insurance totals your car. Want to sell some parts?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Ra
ask yourselft this... next time do you hit the deer, or overreact on the steering wheel?

I'll try my best to miss hitting the deer, brakes, turning, but my brain knows at what speed oversteering could hurt. I learned it the hard way and now you have to.

I would imagine your brain will put 2 and 2 together if it ever happens again. And next time you'll be washing bloody deer and replacing a headlight, not totaling your car.

Glad you're alright, but seriously, next time... **** that deer.
You'll have animal rights activists all over you for saying that! I wouldn't support hitting an animal... but I would support doing what you need to to not lose your life.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

Deer cause quite a lot of damage. But if its a choice between me or the deer, Bambi DIES.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member

Wow, it's a good thing you're ok, all things considered.

If you need another reason to wear your seatbelt there's always that horrible vidman.ca video out there, please excuse me if I don't link to it it's really graphic and gave me nightmares for weeks.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xola3que
I had the Eibach Pro Kit installed not long ago. That gimme like 1.5" lower all around. Still have to clear my 19" TRD wheels. If that wan't enough, I put a 1" wheel spacers on the rear to give it an extra wide foot (not to mention it looks great with the 19" wheel package).
Does the rear sway bar really help? I know it's the bar that do anti-swaying, but how?

Sorry to hear you smashed your ride too Uber. I hope you're OK.
yeah my first xA was lowered (Tein) and with front swaybar (TRD) and 17 rims and tires..IMHO...the car is really unstable in turns..so slow da eggster down.

Quick Reply: Rolled my xA...oh gosh.