Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Scion 2005 xA, AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM

Default Scion 2005 xA, AC problem

Hey, I am having a problem to have my A/C fixed, I have had 3 A/C compressor replaced in my car, and they all worked for an hour but they stopped working after an hour, those all A/C compressor were in used condition but they were in A grade,
I don't think there was anything wrong with them, and I don't have any leak in my system, i had still refrigerant after compressors stopped working. I took cars to the dealer and other AC workshop, and they came up with a bill of over $1,400, which is
something that I expected once i had to buy a new compressor and what they are going to do is to change compressor, and they will do it professional way and I know that wont fix anything even if i get a new one, my question is what might be causing
an A/C compressor to work for a short period of time (on hour around) and then stop working? (I had this car last winter and i know the car had an accident from right front corner and radiator had to changed, I am considering that accident may have
caused something in A/C system a blockage or something though I don't have leak)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-20-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

Smile 2005 Scion xA Air Conditioning problem

I don't know that this applies. My AC stopped working early this summer. I took it in once and they said there was too much freon so they emptied the system, refilled. It worked a little while but the next week I took it back in. This time not enough freon so they added some, it worked. I couldn't pick it up that day and the owner called me the next morning and said the AC wasn't cool again, he had gone out to move the car. He recommended replacing the compressor but I didn't have the money so I just took it home. The AC worked occasionally after that, so after talking to some family members who work in the AC field (not automotive) I wasn't convinced that it was the compressor because if it was it should not have worked at all. So fast forward to my dead battery, tried to revive it but no luck. Took the car in and had the battery replaced. AC is working FINE all the time now!!!! So what my uncle had suggested I think is the problem, the system has so many controls and one of those had to do with power the AC was taking from the system, bad battery made the AC shut down? Anyway, it's a thought and I'm just happy the AC works again, worth $108 for a new battery!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The A/C uses a tremendous amount of battery. Try charging/replacing your battery.

Good write-up Debbilou.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:02 AM

Question: does the Scion xA use more gas when the A/C compressor is turned on? I own/drive a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, and when the A/C is turned on I get only 25.8 mpg on the highway. Compared to 31 when the A/C is not turned on. Because of the A/C sucking engine energy from the compressor being on? Am I right?

Does the Scion xA also do this? I have the hots for a 2005 Scion xA that is selling for $5,800 with around 105,000 miles. I heard these Scion xA's should go 275,000 miles. Thoughts on this possible acquisition? I'm stoked to try and trade the '08 Lancer GTS riceboy racer for the econobox 2005 Scion xA. Cool thoughts?
Old 06-24-2022, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by xAbe
Question: does the Scion xA use more gas when the A/C compressor is turned on? I own/drive a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, and when the A/C is turned on I get only 25.8 mpg on the highway. Compared to 31 when the A/C is not turned on. Because of the A/C sucking engine energy from the compressor being on? Am I right?

Does the Scion xA also do this? I have the hots for a 2005 Scion xA that is selling for $5,800 with around 105,000 miles. I heard these Scion xA's should go 275,000 miles. Thoughts on this possible acquisition? I'm stoked to try and trade the '08 Lancer GTS riceboy racer for the econobox 2005 Scion xA. Cool thoughts?
I Love my 2005 Scion xa, this car has the toughest little engine. My Scion has 370,000 miles on it and is running fine. The only problem I have had is my ac. But look at how many miles are on it.