2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Seriously considering selling the xA

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Seriously considering selling the xA

Maybe someone has a better idea. The problem I have with my xA is that it hurts my lower back to drive it. I am talking low, almost like tail bone area. Now let me state that I don't have an ongoing back problem. The problem seems to stem from the vibration level of the car rather than the short wheel base and associated somewhat bumpy ride. I have looked at putting in Sparco Milano seats at $1600 for the pair or having an uphlostry shop refoam the seats in order to minimize the vibration and maximize the support. I only have 3400 miles on the car and with the short supply in this area I feel I can get about what I have invested. I hate to do that because it is a blast to drive but just 10 miles to the office causes discomfort all day.

Does anyone else have a similar problem and if so, what solutions have been tried? Thanks for any input.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could be a new back prob?
it could also be how you have your seat set up.
i'm used to almost laying down in my crx, but sit straight up in the xA.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I have to agree there is not enough lumbar support. Sometimes, my lower back starts to ache, but that's because I'm slouching in my seat. It hasn't happened recently since I re-adjusted my mirrors (sides and rear view) to help with making me sit up for better posture. I was thinking of buying some foam sheets from an arts and crafts store and putting between the seat and upholstery...
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member

The xA definitely rides firm. For my 9 mile urban commute it's just fine, but if I was putting in more driving time I'm sure I'd have some similar issues.

The xA ride is one reason we use our Mazda Tribute for longer road trips. I've also encountered certain stretches of road that, if they were part of my daily commute, I wouldn't be able to tolerate because of the xA's ride.

I do have the benefit of aftermarket suspesion, which provides me with a more "civilized" ride.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well on long road trips my right butt cheek does get a pain maybe thats cause our cars are meant for short jount around town
Old 12-01-2005, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vicodin! will solve your problem.......
Old 12-01-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try upgrading to Tein H-Tech's and Koni shocks. That should help soften the ride a lot. The Koni's can be made quite stuff, but can also be adjusted to be very soft as well.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jallamas, you may have something there. I was talking to my father earlier today and he reminded me that when I was a kid i fell on cement while jumping on a pogo stick. Yes, pogo sticks were cool 35 years ago. He reminded me that I landed on my seat and my tail bone was very sore for a number of days. I now wonder if an old hidden injury has finally surfaced. Anyway I am going to talk to a auto upholstry shop about re-foaming the seat cushion and adding some foam to the backrest to give some more lumbar support.
It is listed in the paper just to see if I can get some bites. If I can get close to what I have in it, it will be gone.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you considered putting some washers under the front seat bolts to angle the seat base a little? There is a thread around here somewhere that shows how, I'll go looking..

Try this....https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71128
Old 12-01-2005, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before you go to the expense of having an upholstery shop rework your seats, why don't you try a cushion that fits over the seat? Heck, even a small pillow in the right place could do the trick.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive
Try upgrading to Tein H-Tech's and Koni shocks. That should help soften the ride a lot. The Koni's can be made quite stuff, but can also be adjusted to be very soft as well.
i agree with the suspension setup. the stock ride on xBs is pretty harsh. once i swithced out my shocks/struts with monroe sensatracs and went with softer springs, my butt doesnt bounce around anymore. my wife also tends to have lumbar issues and used to complain about it before the upgrade. it was the best $200 i have spent on my car so far.

if you have money to spend, i would look into konis or coilovers with adjustable dampening and a "soft" spring rate. however, if you drop your car, you may have to worry about bottoming out..
Old 12-01-2005, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last three posts are good ideas. I have done the washer deal but maybe not enought change to get the desired results. Will investigate.
Pillow may work. I have one but I need to wait a day or two for butt to stop hurting so i can see if it (pilow, not butt) works. Even my truck seat, sofa, and office chair is uncomfortable right now.
I am not sure it is the ride as much as the high pitch vibration from the 3000rpm engine. But it certainly is something to consider. I would not lower the car so bottoming shoul not be a big concern.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

compare to my Wrangler the XA ride like a limo. of course only after I installed the Sport line kit from Eibach.
Took a trip down to NC fron NJ before Christmas, still recovering
Old 01-21-2006, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member

I bought a 12 v massage cushion and solved all of my back problems, even works indoors 120 v. Worth the ten bucks
Old 01-22-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i suggest a pillow or find an aftermarket full lumbar seat that holds you in position more. i haven't any experiance with sparco but seats that hug you help alot with a car that has very stiff suspension. i do have experiance with recaro seats those are some nice seats but expensive.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A little update.
I took the car to an auto trip and upholstry shop. They added some foam to the seat and a little to the lumbar area. You would not notice that the driver's seat is "overstuffed" unless you compare it to the passenger seat. They charged me $125 and it made all the difference in the world. Over new years I dorve down to Charleston SC, about 5hrs each way, and it caused no pain at all. Well worth the money.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear you are sticking with us!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

YEA!!!!!!!