Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Should I get xA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default Should I get xA?

Hey everyone, I currently drive a 1990 civic si. it's cool, but, i'm wanting something new that has a bit more creature comforts and style.

I have thought of getting Acura GSR, 2000 Civic Si and other Hondas being a GIGANTIC honda guru, but then i thought of the Scions and the 'fresh' approach the took in the car market. And now I'm starting to like them. The xA looks great and has excellent features for the money. I got a job about 1.5 months ago and I really got it to either A) Make my Civic a lot faster and nicer than what it is. or B) Get a nice, new car.

Option B is appealing more and more to me as I look at my Civic with its hail dents and fading paint. It would just take A LOT of money to get it even up to par with my likings and it would still be an old 90 Civic Si :D

However there is only one problem I see with the xA. Performance. It seems to be lacking, but I'm no expert on Scions yet. My car ran a 15.5 with intake, header, exhaust, and a cam. It's the stock 150,000 mile, oil burning engine. Pretty impressive I think and it has good get up and go. Now is the Scion xA even in the low 16 second range stock? Both the 90 Civic Si and xA have the same power output (STOCK) 108hp, but the xA has 5 more ft pnds of torque and out of a 1.5L instead of the 1.6L like mine. Must be the VVTi shiat

So I'm really liking the styling and options (and price) the xA offers and it seems like pretty much solid car. But it will take a lot to get me away from Hondas as I have loved them for many years now. I guess I really need to just test drive one.

Also, does the xA offer keyless entry with security?? Thanks everyone!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the scion is gonna be like an 18 second car.

a supercharger might get it to 16s or 17s

and yes, keyless entry/security is an option, see the www.scion.com website
Old 02-04-2004, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually no scions are in the mid 16s
Old 02-04-2004, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member

Is there a way to make it to 13 second ? Can I say it is impossible?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by HotBox
actually no scions are in the mid 16s
If it's running 16 stock, I don't see why a lot of love and a whole lot of $$$ wouldn't get it at least down to the high 14s.

Originally Posted by excess
Is there a way to make it to 13 second ? Can I say it is impossible?
Nothing's impossible, just highly expensive :?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if yer looking for performance, don't go with a scion. it'll still be fun to drive, it just won't reward yu with good numbers.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The scions are around a 17-18 second car. With I/H/E we could possibly see 16's and maybe even a very high 15 out of the car. Toyota didn't build our motors with performance in mind vs. Honda's which in the most part is the opposite especially the D16A (Si) was meant to be a beefy motor during that time.

As for 13 seconds, it's very possible .......with lots of time, money and banging on the firewall to fit your motor swap

Seriously though, my B16A in my CRX HF with I/H/E netted me mid to low 14's and that thing was pushing around 165 to the wheels and it weighed 2100 lbs.

Now think what a 2300lb car with a 100hp motor would do. Eventually someone will comeout with a nice turbo kit or swap but for now it doesn't seem possible.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member

I think I will get XA. I notice one thing, perfomance never satisfies me even I buy a Evo, I will mod it to what is handle max . So it is better for me to buy something look nice and mod it to its best. I also notice something, fast car look ugly...
Old 02-05-2004, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scion is not a power car, but if you were to so the same mods to the scion as you have in the civic, it will be about the same or faster with a manual trans. auto is just too slow
Old 02-05-2004, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah there is no doubt that I would get a manual trans. Now the EFs weigh about the same as a xA, maybe 100 pounds less, and has the same hp, but a tad more torque. I think it should be close yes with IHE. I would really love a nice new car, that looks good. I guess it doesn't have to be fast althought that is a huge plus for me. haha.

I just love the xA, I think I should get an xA now and then when I'm like 22 or something go ahead and get something. But this car will get me through, whereas the Civic i would be having to replace things since i have a turbo going on soon. Probably wont be reliable anymore.

I can't wait to test drive one sometime!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slowman
Yeah there is no doubt that I would get a manual trans. Now the EFs weigh about the same as a xA, maybe 100 pounds less, and has the same hp, but a tad more torque. I think it should be close yes with IHE. I would really love a nice new car, that looks good. I guess it doesn't have to be fast althought that is a huge plus for me. haha.

I just love the xA, I think I should get an xA now and then when I'm like 22 or something go ahead and get something. But this car will get me through, whereas the Civic i would be having to replace things since i have a turbo going on soon. Probably wont be reliable anymore.

I can't wait to test drive one sometime!
Live by your name bro, beside you'll love the way the car drives. And when that thing is fixed up you'll defintely love it even more especially with so few of them fixed up.

Look for my friend, Paul's xA with a sick ___ body kit to be in a writeup in Turbo Mag soon. And you know the only reason most cars make it into TURBO Mag right?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah i really want the xA. It just keeps growing on me. And they're not available in my area until June which is OK becuase that's about the time I will have a good down payment saved up for. So I should be one of the first in my area to have one. Which is sort of unique compared to the Honda scene.

Oh yeah a few more 'little' questions.

How do you know the alarm is armed? I know the lights flash from the scion website but does it toot the horn or make a beep beep sound?

And, is the throw of the shifter short?
Old 02-05-2004, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all I can say is I love mine... and this is coming from a mustang 5.0 yeah, it won't pull of the line like my tuned muscle car, but it's also a 4 door, gas sipping little urban transport. I love it, it has decent pickup and go (more than the numbers would show) and with some lovin' I'm sure the 2100 lb xA can really peg some fun numbers, it's all about how much you want to put in and how fast you want to go...

as for alarm, I say go after market, for the factory alarm price I got a nice 2 way pager system

as for the short shifter I don't think they make one for the xA, everything I can tell is that the xA has a different (shorter) shifter than the xB because if it didn't it would run into the enclosure right in front of it

just my $0.03 (inflation and all)
Old 02-05-2004, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="2fixA"] and with some lovin' I'm sure the 2100 lb xA can really peg some fun numbers,[/quote

2300]
Old 02-05-2004, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default may I suggest an xB !!!

when you activate the alarm it flashes the lights... thank god, since my I'm usually out all nite, and my last car would honk...
Old 02-07-2004, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member

Can the XB or XA use for long trip, I mean like over 20 hour of driving at a goal?
Old 02-07-2004, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member

yes im sure they can. but no cruise control. :?